“Clean and friendly...but so many new workers.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carlton
Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I enjoy staying at the Blackbear Hotel. I love the buffet and gambling floor. They have a nice variety of machines. I've seen some very good acts in the convention center. I LOVE how friendly the workers are in the casino...especially the convention center. There was a Bobbi that worked in the convention center...she was so friendly and had such a huge, beautiful smile. Her "boss" walked up while she was helping me and I met him...Todd was his name and thought he was a nice guy. I've talked to floor managers and change people and "coffee givers" and never was treated with anything but friendliness. Can't wait to see Bobbi and the rest of the workers on my next trip.

Room Tip: Shhh...all are good, BUT...the one overlooking the "Golf Course" are very good. ;)
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 00doubleott00

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I consider myself a very fair reviewer and don't never let minor things cause me to falsely rate a hotel. With that being said.... I had a good stay in the tower, my smoke-free room was clean and roomy however it was a bit dusty, especially when I turned on the ac/heating unit, it upset my nasal allergies big time!! I had to buy nasal spray to relieve it. The bathroom was very clean, but tiny. The hallways were clean, housekeeping very friendly and helpful. Front desk staff was ok, their attitudes could have been a little more helpful and upbeat. Parking was good and plentiful. The buffet's lunch and dinner was very good, but breakfast was not so good. I went to the Nightclub Cobalt inside the hotel and it was good, but if you plan on taking pictures for memories of fun times, don't! I was taking pics of my friends dancing and this rude security guard came up to me yelling "Mam, you can't take pictures in here!" I replied "In here, the club? I though that only applied to the casino". He said in a nasty tone "No! No where in the hotel!". Mind you, there are signs posted all over the casino saying "no picture taking in the casino". Nothing about anywhere else! it was other people taking pictures in the club but he had to single me out. Also if you plan on parking in the deck/garage and you have children with you, prepare to be harassed by security when you try to enter the building with them. I came in with my 11 and 2 year old and the guard ask me in an arrogant tone, "where are you going with those babies?" I replied, "to my room, would you like to see my key? I am a guest here." How embarrassing! All in all, the best part of my stay was the tower and winning at a slot. Other than that, it was just ok. Would I recommend this place, probably not. Would I stay here again? Only if I didn't have to deal with some of their rude staff!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LMonet
Reviewed April 7, 2013

There was a concert we were seeing so naturally we stayed the night. Our room was in the new hotel, gorgeous room, and the buffets are so reasonable and scrumptious!!! concerts are very reasonable with great seating just about anywhere. Breakfast buffets are yummy, don't miss out on this wonderful weekend getaway hotel!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed here before and opted to again. Then hotels in Duluth can be pricey but Black Bear is around 60 - you are about 20 minutes south of Duluth in Carlton (right of 35N) Its a busy casino hotel so the front lobby is always packed with people coming and going. The rooms in the Tower are good. Clean and quiet with comfortable beds and fairly large. We had the dinner buffet - it was typical (I'm not a big fan of buffets but my husband loves them) Our only problem was that they reassured us on check in that we would have internet in our room and we didnt. The lobby was down as well.

Room Tip: Dont judge your room by the lobby - the rooms are quite nice - always ask for and pay the extra to b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jan A
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've stayed in the "new" tower portion and in the older portion of the hotel. I have to agree the rooms in the tower portion are much nicer than the older, although for the price, the older portion is not bad at all. The noise in the older portion is a little worse, especially if you are near the pool area.
I've always found the rooms very clean and everything in working order. Beds are comfortable with plenty of pillows and blankets. Lot of hot water with good pressure in the showers. Jacuzzi rooms are wonderful. Staff is always friendly and helpful.
The buffet is always delicious, well-stocked, with good service. The customer service staff has always been accomodating with any request I've had (within reason).
I always enjoy my stay at Black Bear

Room Tip: Tower rooms are absolutely beautiful, but from what I've seen, you won't be slumming in the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stay at the hotel several times a year. The tower rooms are awesome! I have never had a bad experience. As a business traveller I can tell you that the cleanliness is on par with high end chains like the Hiltons. I always sleep soundly. The hotel is quiet, it is either because the rooms are sound proof or because they do not allow alcohol on the premises. GREAT POLICY! You don't have to listen to drunks running up and down the halls like lunatics. The 2 restaurants on site have amazing food. I recommend the petite filet at Seven Fires Steak House. Starbucks coffee in the coffee shop. Minutes from downtown Duluth and Superior and driving distance to the twin cities. Love this place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B H
Reviewed April 1, 2013

After many losing trips to Hinckley, my friend and I decided to try Black Bear. Had a room for two nights(Sun/Mon) on the 12th floor in the tower and it was nice and clean. Housekeeping very efficient and friendly. Rooms have a video game console(rent by the hour) if you have kids to keep busy. The arcade was small, dark, and half the games didn't work. Casino has around 2,000 machines so there is something for everyone. Hit more good bonuses in 24 hours at Black Bear than I had hit in my last 5 trips to Hinckley. They also gave us(each) $5 in free play for both days we stayed when signing up for a card, and $3 off any restaurant for both days also. The buffet was great - both for dinner and breakfast. All employees were friendly and helpful. I did have one scary experience, though. When I went up to my room around 3AM my key wouldn't work. Went down to the front desk and the woman reswiped my key after I gave her the room number, but she never asked for any info or ID - kind of disturbing. Will definetely be returning to Black Bear - so far the loosest machines I've found in MN!

Room Tip: Tower rooms a little more, but worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kiki1963_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton
Best Western Plus Spirit Mountain Duluth
Radisson Hotel Duluth - Harborview
La Quinta Inn & Suites Duluth
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth-Downtown

Been to Black Bear Casino Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!