New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Plymouth, Minnesota
“They lost our advance reservation somehow. Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked this in advance through Priceline since we were travelling to Duluth for an event, and everything else was booked up near/in Duluth. After a long day and night, we drove to this hotel and attempted to check in. We were told by the guy at the front desk that their staffer, "Chris messed up," and therefore never actually entered a reservation in their system for us, and they had no more rooms. I have NEVER EVER EVER had this happen to me before in my whole life. I have stayed at many hotels all over the world...even places where I could not speak the native language. So, apparently this hotel employs incompetent people. The front desk guy was very slow to try to rectify the situation, and after we asked him what they were going to do, he called AmericInn in Cloquet and got us a room there, which was quite frankly the least he could do to make up for "Chris" totally screwing everything up. When we asked him how to get there, he gave us the most confusion directions, and then took about 20 more minutes to print us directions while talking to us about where he is from and other details about himself that none of us needed to know. When we left, we realized the hotel was basically in a straight line from where we were. I have no idea why he made it sound so difficult and why he even mapquested it, frankly.
So then we had to drive there and check in. This is totally unacceptable and wasted a lot of our time. What if there were no rooms in Cloquet? We would have been out on the street? Our whole group was extremely upset and delayed by this incident and barely had time to rest much before leaving for the next day's events. I would never book another reservation here again!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Catherine W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed here because the Black Bear casino was full. We stay there several times a year.
We also stay at other Americinns. It was quiet as all of them are. The window looked out on the
woods and it was a pretty view. Our room was clean and updated and smoke free.
The breakfast room was very small. We did not eat there. We went over to the casino for the
breakfast buffet we have enjoyed before. It is good to know we have an alternative.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back face the woods. The front is the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zahale
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have stayed at many AmericInn Hotels and this one was below the normal experience. The facility is aged and I believe they are in "upgrade" mode but the room we got wasn't one of them. The lobby was nice but small as well as the breakfast area. The pool was ok but wouldn't say it was great. Most of the hotel seemed clean but in need of updates. The room was fair size with the sink area for the bathroom outside of the bathroom by the front door. The vanity area was small. The air conditioning unit was noisy but worked. If this is the only hotel in the area available it wouldn't be a bad option but I am sure there must be other choices.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room when making reservations.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Emo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the AmericInn Lodge and Suites Carlton for one evening because we were attending a concert at the Blackbear Casino, and the Casino hotel rooms were sold out.

I must say that I am glad that we discovered this place, since it is a charming and quiet Inn very close to the venue, and more importantly SMOKE FREE! After attending the show and having dinner at the Casino, we walked around for 20 minutes through the gambling area, but my husband and I could not handle the smoke and were glad to return the AmericInn and its clean and fresh-smelling environment! We were happy to find out that the pool area was open 24 hours to adult guests, so we grabbed out suits and sat in the hot tub for an hour or so. The Temperature could have been hotter though, as it was luke-warm at best.
Our bed was comfy and the view from the room was a peaceful view of the forested area out back. I love the furnishings as they are well made and heavy wood, in excellent condition. The room was very clean and we were thankful for the free wifi in our room.

ALL THE STAFF, were friendly, helpful and speedy with check-in guest, needs and check-out!
The free continental breakfast is the same as most places, so we found enough to eat to feel satisfied, but I wish there was sausage patty instead of biscuit and gravy. Also, the yogurts could be lower in sugar as they were all very sweet. Overall, if we are going back to the area for any more concerts, I will look into this hotel first!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back, they are very quiet and have a nice view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VJHammond
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was really disappointed in the quality of this hotel. Lobby area was okay but the room was dated and didn't feel clean. There was a heater lining 3 of the 4 walls in the hotel with big signs warning not to place anything near them, so our luggage was in the middle of the floor. Very dark and dreary thanks to the poor color choices when designing the rooms. Biggest issue was no elevator and no assistance getting luggage to my room. As a single female traveling alone with my child to see Bentleyville and the Polar Express for Christmas, it was a challenge to drag suitcases up and down a flight of stairs by myself while keeping an eye on my son. At least our room was right next to the stairs. Not sure how a multi story hotel can get away without having an elevator these days. Won't stay here again. Wish I had stayed across the way at the Black Bear.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank niffyroo

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I loved how clean the whole place is, especially their pool. The rooms are cheap and they have a fridge, microwave, and lcd tv in each room. You can open the windows in every room I've stayed in. They rooms are kind of small, but we managed 3 kids and 3 adults no proplem.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank charlenelund
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Heading to Black Bear Casino for a concert so decided to grab a room close by and stayed at AmericInn in Carlton, Mn. Room was clean, beds were ok, and the breakfast was great! Only issue is that the room was very dry. I know it has to do with this time of year, but yikes.. all of us could hardly swallow in the morning. Maybe it was all the smoke at the casino, but I know the room was dry.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheilarae71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cloquet
4.5 of 5 stars 309 reviews
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
La Quinta Inn & Suites Duluth
BEST WESTERN Bridgeview Hotel

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton? Share your experiences!