New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Emo, Canada
“VERY pleased!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the AmericInn Lodge and Suites Carlton for one evening because we were attending a concert at the Blackbear Casino, and the Casino hotel rooms were sold out.

I must say that I am glad that we discovered this place, since it is a charming and quiet Inn very close to the venue, and more importantly SMOKE FREE! After attending the show and having dinner at the Casino, we walked around for 20 minutes through the gambling area, but my husband and I could not handle the smoke and were glad to return the AmericInn and its clean and fresh-smelling environment! We were happy to find out that the pool area was open 24 hours to adult guests, so we grabbed out suits and sat in the hot tub for an hour or so. The Temperature could have been hotter though, as it was luke-warm at best.
Our bed was comfy and the view from the room was a peaceful view of the forested area out back. I love the furnishings as they are well made and heavy wood, in excellent condition. The room was very clean and we were thankful for the free wifi in our room.

ALL THE STAFF, were friendly, helpful and speedy with check-in guest, needs and check-out!
The free continental breakfast is the same as most places, so we found enough to eat to feel satisfied, but I wish there was sausage patty instead of biscuit and gravy. Also, the yogurts could be lower in sugar as they were all very sweet. Overall, if we are going back to the area for any more concerts, I will look into this hotel first!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back, they are very quiet and have a nice view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VJHammond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was really disappointed in the quality of this hotel. Lobby area was okay but the room was dated and didn't feel clean. There was a heater lining 3 of the 4 walls in the hotel with big signs warning not to place anything near them, so our luggage was in the middle of the floor. Very dark and dreary thanks to the poor color choices when designing the rooms. Biggest issue was no elevator and no assistance getting luggage to my room. As a single female traveling alone with my child to see Bentleyville and the Polar Express for Christmas, it was a challenge to drag suitcases up and down a flight of stairs by myself while keeping an eye on my son. At least our room was right next to the stairs. Not sure how a multi story hotel can get away without having an elevator these days. Won't stay here again. Wish I had stayed across the way at the Black Bear.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank niffyroo

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I loved how clean the whole place is, especially their pool. The rooms are cheap and they have a fridge, microwave, and lcd tv in each room. You can open the windows in every room I've stayed in. They rooms are kind of small, but we managed 3 kids and 3 adults no proplem.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank charlenelund
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Heading to Black Bear Casino for a concert so decided to grab a room close by and stayed at AmericInn in Carlton, Mn. Room was clean, beds were ok, and the breakfast was great! Only issue is that the room was very dry. I know it has to do with this time of year, but yikes.. all of us could hardly swallow in the morning. Maybe it was all the smoke at the casino, but I know the room was dry.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sheilarae71
REMER
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

my wife and i stay there the weekend of the 16th. there was a bit of a problem at check but the lady behind the desk got it taken care of. The room was what we expected, a single queen with cable tv and refig, microwave and coffee maker. The only problem that concerned us was the semi that was parked in the parking lot with his generator running all night. when we said something to the front desk there had the driver move it. the breakfast was good with plenty of food, even when we got to it later then most. The eggs and biscuit and gravy were hot and tasty, The pool and hot tub was a relaxing feature, my wife and i had the place all to ourselfs. We'd stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is fine - It's neither amazing nor awful. The location is excellent - right off the freeway. The hotel is small and old. It really could use some upgrading. The decor of our room looked like it hadn't been changed in about 15-20 years. We often choose AmericInn if it's an available option - we really like the soundproofing and that each room has a fridge. This hotel also had both, but it wasn't as nice as others we have stayed in. On the other hand, it wasn't a hole, either.

We didn't have any issues with check-in, the hotel was clean, and breakfast was plentiful in the morning. We liked that the pool was open 24 hrs and was adults-only after 10 pm. We felt it was a bit expensive for what it was, though.

We probably would stay here again if we had occasion to be in the area and needed a place to stay. If you stay here expecting to stay in the lap of luxury, you'll probably be disappointed, but if you're just looking for a reasonably economical choice for a place to crash, it's not a bad choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ECMTravelers
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I always believe in starting with the positive, so I would give this hotel, if that's what you want to call it, 4 stars for location. Also, the free breakfast was decent... Alright, so that was the positive. The hotel was pretty dirty. My white socks literally turned black from walking on the floors, I may have gotten bit by bed bugs, the toilet and sink did not work, and of the two days they should have cleaned the room...they did only one. I feel like we should have received some type of compensation or refund due to the numerous issues. I can't say that I would recommend this hotel to anyone unless location and breakfast are your only requirements.

Room Tip: One not in this hotel....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jennieltx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cloquet
#11 of 32 in Duluth
Super 8 Superior WI
Super 8 Superior WI
#1 of 8 in Superior

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton? Share your experiences!