“Average”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Pittston, PA
“Average”
Reviewed October 20, 2007

Stayed here 1 night on a business trip to Duluth, MN. The hotel is family owned and operated. It is located just East of the Black Bear Casino which operates a free shuttle for hotel guests if you're looking for entertainment. The room was very large and clean. Guest laundry facility was a plus for us. An internet connection was non-existant with our Verizon Wireless card in this area. The hotel does advertise high speed internet connections using a bridge supplied by the front desk. However, there wasn't one available for our use during our stay.

Friendly helpful staff made our stay a pleasant one.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Coast2CoastTravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Connecticut
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We booked our recent stay at AmericInn at the recommendation of a relative for our trip to Cloquet. Since the Cloquet AmericInn was full (as were all other Cloquet hotels we tried, we opted to try the Carlton AmeriInn.

We arrived at AmericInn, Carlton on the afternoon of 4/20, were given room 213, and stayed just long enough to drop our bags and left to visit relatives. We returned to the AmericInn after 10pm, and were able to survey the hotel for the first time. Here's what we found.

Problem 1: Smell of Smoke

I suffer from chronic asthma. Despite asking for a non-smoking room (and the non-smoking sign on the door), the smell of cigarette smoke permeates the entire second floor. I can only presume that it drifts up from the first floor. In our room, the smell came from both the hallway (for which we put a towel under the crack of the door) as well as the vent in the bathroom, which we could do nothing about.

Despite the front desk staff stating emphatically that they'd never heard a complaint about the smell of smoke, we had casual conversations with 2 other guests on Saturday who both made comments about the smell

My wife spoke to the maintenance person who acknowledged the issue, and said 'perhaps we can give you a discount on the room'. This was never noted on our account (more on this below).

Problem 2: The Beds
The mattresses looked to be about 30 years old. We only saw these because the bedsheets didn't adequately cover the sides of the mattresses.

I invite you to go sit on the beds in room 213. The bed on the right side of room 213 squeaks loudly with any movement. This kept not only my wife and I awake, but also our 2 children.

Upon checkout, when I asked the front desk about the bed, she claimed no knowledge of this issue.

How do I know that the AmericInn staff knew that this bed was a problem? Because MY 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER FOUND A FILTHY (AND QUITE SHARP) SCREWDRIVER NEAR THE SIDE OF THE BED!!!! I returned this screwdriver to give back to maintenance.

Problem 3: Noise

On our emailed reservation confirmation, it stated "The guest room you selected is specially built to minimize noise. We are confident you will appreciate the benefits of a quieter night."

With 2 small children traveling, a good night sleep is essential to make sure our days are productive. This didn't happen.

I'm not sure how AmericInn states that this room was specially built to minimize noise. The cinder block walls are similar to those in college dormitories (or prison cells), neither of which are known for any particular noise abatement qualities.

We arrived back at AmericInn on 4/21 at approximately 9:30pm, and got our kids quickly to bed. By 1:30am, the hotel sounded like a busy nightclub, and everyone in our room was awake. Between 2am and 2:30 am, I counted 32 slammed doors (I highly doubt that 32 separate guests were out of their rooms at that hour of the night. There were people running down the halls, and singing loudly.

I went downstairs to complain to the front desk at 2:30 am, and again at 3am. On my second visit, he and I visited room one of the offending rooms together to confront only one of the offenders. This only helped marginally, as much of the noise came from the room directly below us.

In short, we were told that there was nothing that could be done about the noise. Let's be diplomatic and say that we didn't get a good night's sleep on the day before we had to travel home (with 2 extremely tired children).

Problem 4: Checkout

Despite bringing these issues to staff on Saturday morning (and throughout the night into Sunday morning) upon checkout, we were charged the full rate for our room. Additionally, I found the front desk worker's ability to plead ignorance of any and all issues (in the face of all evidence to the contrary) more that a bit annoying.

She refused to discuss our room, the rate, or any of the issues we encountered during our brief stay. She claimed that there was nobody of authority who could hear my concern, would not discuss the issues with anyone we spoke to to verify our claims, or take ANY action to ensure customer satisfaction. She wouldn't even pass my phone number along to you the manager without significant discussion

We were then charged the full room rate despite being told that we would have a discussion regarding the issues and rates.

I'm currently at the point where I'm left considering putting a dispute on my credit card charges.

As someone who has traveled frequently for business over the past 25 years, I can state emphatically that my stay at the AmericInn Carlton ranks in the bottom 3 of any hotel experience I've ever had. As things currently stand, I'd have difficulty recommending AmericInn to anyone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Just about everything...the room, the staff, and their unwillingness to correct problems
  • Stayed April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Sean M

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 12, 2006

We were staying in the Duluth area to see family and friends and just to get away and enjoy the northland.

We chose this hotel because it had the right balance of location, price, and nice indoor pool as most AmericInns do.

The rooms are pretty standard, except for their economy rooms. The economy rooms are small but good for 1 or 2 travelers.

We had a jacuzi suite for us and an economy room for our guests. I know it isn't fair but they did not want to pay the extra money = )

The rooms where like I mentioned, pretty standard but nice, clean, and met our needs.

The pool area is very nice. It also has a uge whirlpool.

The wireless internet worked great. Usually at other hotels it works barely faster than dial up but this place had it working great!.

The best part of our stay here was the staff. Super nice and very accomidating. Mary the manager will talk your ear off if you let her but very kind and accomidating!

Would definitely recommend to others!

• Liked — GREAT staff
  • Disliked — a full breakfast would be nice
  • Tips/Secrets — great place to stay overall!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MartyInChicago
Monticello, MN
Reviewed December 22, 2005

A few years ago, we visited my Sister-in-Law in Barnum, MN. There was a bad snowstorm that day, the day after Thanksgiving. We called a few hotels in the area and they either were booked or charging a ton of money for a room. We called the AmericInn in Carlton and they had a room for $45. We took it, and the room was AWESOME. Very quiet, good sized, the bathroom was nice, and the bed was comfortable. Plus, the next morning they had a wonderful continential breakfast. That was a few years ago, and the stays keep getting better. It is about $70 a night now, but it is well worth it!

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank jbsmg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

This was the freindliest hotel we stayed at during our vacation. The manager and the staff were really nice and attentive. The hotel was clean, comfortable, and an overall great value.

This part of MN is beautiful, especially during the fall.

We stayed at several different inns, motels, and hotels. This one was worh writing about.

Thanks Mary and your great staff!!

Marty and Family

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Duluth North
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth
Comfort Inn West
Comfort Inn West
#12 of 33 in Duluth
South Pier Inn on the Canal
Comfort Suites Canal Park

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton? Share your experiences!