“Great place everytime I come back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carlton
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great place everytime I come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

I come up to this part of the country from time to time for business. I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past 4 years. While it is no Ritz Carlton - it certainly is a nice and clean place to stay and rest. I have not had any bad experiences here since coming for the past few years so I am puzzled by some of the bad reviews. Mary and most of the staff I have met are very accommodating and always seem to help me out. They have a really nice indoor pool and hot tub. I was in the jacuzzi suites a couple of times and they are nice too. Breakfast in the morning is pretty good although I am more of an omlette guy. See you next time!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2010

I came to get away and to rest and relax. I stayed 3 nights. The first night was good (Thursday), Friday and Saturday night were horrible. There were screaming kids and parents and kids were running everywhere unsupervised. The first night the front desk person talked to the parents the entire time and never asked them to be quiet. I complained the second night (I'm not a complainer) and the man at the front desk asked the parents and kids to be quiet afterwards. There was still lots of screaming, stomping, running, even kids pushing eachother into my door. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING DURING HOCKEY SEASON if you want rest and relaxation!!!

Besides the loudness the other thing I would say was there were lots of stains on the comforter and one of them is a blood stain. There are cob webs on the ceiling and the refridgerator does not work.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Carlton hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed here for one night in October while traveling to the area’s State Park’s and nearby Black Bear casino with our two smaller dogs. The room was on the second floor, it was clean, odor free and comfortable. This is a good value for the type of lodging. The free breakfast was the standard fare and reasonable decent. The only issues that we noticed were the slamming of the doors of other guests leaving the property in the morning. That is probably a behavioral/self awareness issue with the person rather than a fault of the hotel. (Have some consideration for the other guest who don’t need to be anyplace at 6AM) They could consider installing a closing and slam dampening device. The other was cooking odor coming from another some idiot using a hotplate in their room or it could have been from the free breakfast waffle maker near the lobby. Overall we had a good stay and would recommend this property to those traveling with pets.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Island, NE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

Nice and cozy place. The room was comfortable and it was near a casino. Price was reasonable.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Williston, North Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

My family and friends have been staying at this hotel for years. We own land nearby and when we come up to our property to hunt, fish, snowmobile, etc. we always stayed at the carlton americinn. Over the past 2 or so years the service has gotten progressively worse. This last stay was the last straw! I checked into my room only to find the heater didn't work. I complained to the front desk and the manager on duty told me to "wait awhile - maybe it will come on". An hour later it still didn't work. the outside temp was about 30 degrees, and the in-room temp was 50 degrees. I called the front desk and complained again. Her solution - she brought me 2 blankets! I had been outside all day for the deer hunting opener and just wanted to get warm. I decided to take a hot shower, but when I got into the shower I saw pubic hairs stuck on the tub and on the shower walls. I then decided to skip the shower, and went to bed with my clothes on. At checkout I was told nobody there could help me with my complaints, or my bill. They assured me the manager would call me Monday morning to help me with my bill and my complaints. No one called - and they have yet to return any of my calls. My advice - find another hote!

• Liked — I was able to leave this hotel and find another one.
  • Disliked — No heat in room, disgusting shower, un-cooperative staff!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank freezingguest
Pittston, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2007

Stayed here 1 night on a business trip to Duluth, MN. The hotel is family owned and operated. It is located just East of the Black Bear Casino which operates a free shuttle for hotel guests if you're looking for entertainment. The room was very large and clean. Guest laundry facility was a plus for us. An internet connection was non-existant with our Verizon Wireless card in this area. The hotel does advertise high speed internet connections using a bridge supplied by the front desk. However, there wasn't one available for our use during our stay.

Friendly helpful staff made our stay a pleasant one.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Coast2CoastTravelers
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

We booked our recent stay at AmericInn at the recommendation of a relative for our trip to Cloquet. Since the Cloquet AmericInn was full (as were all other Cloquet hotels we tried, we opted to try the Carlton AmeriInn.

We arrived at AmericInn, Carlton on the afternoon of 4/20, were given room 213, and stayed just long enough to drop our bags and left to visit relatives. We returned to the AmericInn after 10pm, and were able to survey the hotel for the first time. Here's what we found.

Problem 1: Smell of Smoke

I suffer from chronic asthma. Despite asking for a non-smoking room (and the non-smoking sign on the door), the smell of cigarette smoke permeates the entire second floor. I can only presume that it drifts up from the first floor. In our room, the smell came from both the hallway (for which we put a towel under the crack of the door) as well as the vent in the bathroom, which we could do nothing about.

Despite the front desk staff stating emphatically that they'd never heard a complaint about the smell of smoke, we had casual conversations with 2 other guests on Saturday who both made comments about the smell

My wife spoke to the maintenance person who acknowledged the issue, and said 'perhaps we can give you a discount on the room'. This was never noted on our account (more on this below).

Problem 2: The Beds
The mattresses looked to be about 30 years old. We only saw these because the bedsheets didn't adequately cover the sides of the mattresses.

I invite you to go sit on the beds in room 213. The bed on the right side of room 213 squeaks loudly with any movement. This kept not only my wife and I awake, but also our 2 children.

Upon checkout, when I asked the front desk about the bed, she claimed no knowledge of this issue.

How do I know that the AmericInn staff knew that this bed was a problem? Because MY 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER FOUND A FILTHY (AND QUITE SHARP) SCREWDRIVER NEAR THE SIDE OF THE BED!!!! I returned this screwdriver to give back to maintenance.

Problem 3: Noise

On our emailed reservation confirmation, it stated "The guest room you selected is specially built to minimize noise. We are confident you will appreciate the benefits of a quieter night."

With 2 small children traveling, a good night sleep is essential to make sure our days are productive. This didn't happen.

I'm not sure how AmericInn states that this room was specially built to minimize noise. The cinder block walls are similar to those in college dormitories (or prison cells), neither of which are known for any particular noise abatement qualities.

We arrived back at AmericInn on 4/21 at approximately 9:30pm, and got our kids quickly to bed. By 1:30am, the hotel sounded like a busy nightclub, and everyone in our room was awake. Between 2am and 2:30 am, I counted 32 slammed doors (I highly doubt that 32 separate guests were out of their rooms at that hour of the night. There were people running down the halls, and singing loudly.

I went downstairs to complain to the front desk at 2:30 am, and again at 3am. On my second visit, he and I visited room one of the offending rooms together to confront only one of the offenders. This only helped marginally, as much of the noise came from the room directly below us.

In short, we were told that there was nothing that could be done about the noise. Let's be diplomatic and say that we didn't get a good night's sleep on the day before we had to travel home (with 2 extremely tired children).

Problem 4: Checkout

Despite bringing these issues to staff on Saturday morning (and throughout the night into Sunday morning) upon checkout, we were charged the full rate for our room. Additionally, I found the front desk worker's ability to plead ignorance of any and all issues (in the face of all evidence to the contrary) more that a bit annoying.

She refused to discuss our room, the rate, or any of the issues we encountered during our brief stay. She claimed that there was nobody of authority who could hear my concern, would not discuss the issues with anyone we spoke to to verify our claims, or take ANY action to ensure customer satisfaction. She wouldn't even pass my phone number along to you the manager without significant discussion

We were then charged the full room rate despite being told that we would have a discussion regarding the issues and rates.

I'm currently at the point where I'm left considering putting a dispute on my credit card charges.

As someone who has traveled frequently for business over the past 25 years, I can state emphatically that my stay at the AmericInn Carlton ranks in the bottom 3 of any hotel experience I've ever had. As things currently stand, I'd have difficulty recommending AmericInn to anyone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Just about everything...the room, the staff, and their unwillingness to correct problems
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Sean M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Cloquet
Days Inn Duluth/By Miller Hill Mall
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Duluth North
BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth
Comfort Inn West
Comfort Inn West
#12 of 33 in Duluth
Comfort Suites Canal Park

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Carlton? Share your experiences!