Review Highlights
nice trail, well cared for trail

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
GoldwingF6C
Welch, Minnesota
Excellent ride.

Reviewed September 15, 2018
Richard R
Mukilteo, Washington

All reviews red wing miles round trip easy ride great ride bike trip flat ride enjoyable ride wild turkeys nice bike porta potty rest stop day pass beautiful scenery welch riders benches pumps
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We ride or walk trail several times a year. It has been expanded west. There are many spots to rest along the way.

Reviewed September 15, 2018

Good surface, flat terrain (it is a rail to trail), along a river and away from traffic. All in all one of my best bicycle trail rides in quite a while.

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

I bike this trail once a year and each time, it’s always a great experience. The small $4/bike fee is what I believe, keeps the trail in great condition. Roughly 20 miles of paved trail from Red Wing to Cannon Falls, the pavement is in such great condition that you could probably go without any tire/tube repair kit. Aside from the rare inclines, the trail is relatively flat. The 40 ride can be completed with ease.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

This trail has it all. Easy access, a smooth paved surface, gentle grade, forest, river views, fields, wildflowers and two iconic MN small towns at either end in Cannon Falls and Red Wing. Nice rest stop at Welch midpoint; which can also serve as a starting point for a shorter 20 mile round trip.
Should be spectacular with autumn leaves as well.
Go!

Reviewed August 15, 2018

A friend and I recently cycled the Cannon Valley Trail, which we had done individually and together in the past. I live in the Twin Cities and he lives in Rochester, so it's a convenient place for us to meet for a ride. We parked in Red Wing and cycled West to Cannon Falls and back, for a total of 38 miles. We're in our mid-60s and averaged 12.5 mph. It was a good pace, but not exhausting. Much of the trail is shaded, which made it especially enjoyable on the hot day we did our ride. It offers nice views of forests, grasslands, farm lands, and the Cannon River. The trail is slightly uphill going East to West, which made for a tad easier pedaling when we were most tired on the return leg to RW, but there really is no significant grade on this trail since it was once a railroad track. The village of Welch is midway between RW and CF and provides water, rest rooms, and (if you ride about a mile to the tiny town) ice cream. We had a good lunch at Nick's Diner in CF; we were able to eat outside and keep an eye on our bikes. Being retired, we could ride the trail on a weekday and there were few other cyclists, so we were able to ride abreast and chat most of the time. There's a $4 fee for a daily pass because this is a private, not a state-owned, trail. I can't think of anything more worthwhile to spend 4 bucks on! Kudos to the folks who maintain the trail and related facilities. The bathrooms at the A P Anderson Park trail access in RW are closed due to vandalism (sad), so plan accordingly.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

This 20-mile trail is well maintained (paved), and passes along the Cannon River through forest and field. It is a re-purposed rail right-of-way, and costs $4 per rider. It's worth it in my opinion.

Karen S, Administrative Assistant/Finance at Cannon Valley Trail, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2018

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time on the CVT!

Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

We did ten miles round trip with an 8, 6, and 4 year old and a toddler in a bike trailer. It’s very flat. Very shaded. Really pretty fields and places to enjoy. Our kids loved it.

It’s a few bucks per adult to pay (honor system). We don’t mind; the trail is really nice.

Reviewed July 15, 2018

The trail is in great repair and offers a smooth, relatively flat ride. Much of it is shaded. Great wildlife viewing, although some of the critters may run out in front of your bike. Beautiful wildflowers in July. There are nice benches along the route to stop and enjoy views of the river, if that's your thing. I come often and never regret it.

Karen S, Front Office Manager at Cannon Valley Trail, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2018

Thank you!

Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

First time back to cannon falls in 30 years. Decided to take a family bike ride on the trail. Got the the first staffed “Wheel Pass Required” station. I didn’t have my wallet (why would I bring my wallet on a bike ride?) and I asked why they’ve been charging to use a paved trail that has been in existence since the early 90s. They said they always have charged ever since the trail was put in (either ignorance of a staffer of a straight lie). I used to run these trails when I was here in high school and NEVER saw these pay stations. How much to these staffers earn? I hope they are volunteers... where can I see the details of the funds raised and the annual expenses? Unless this is a private property business, the books are public record produce them on your website.

So, luckily one of our party happened to have $30 in their pocket, and we paid the extortion fee. I expected to see a very smooth newly over trail - not the case. I still can spot the potholes and rough spots I avoided when I ran the trail.

This is an absolute racket. I won’t be returning.

2  Thank Joe_Regular_1234
CVTrail, Manager at Cannon Valley Trail, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

The Cannon Valley Trail (CVT) opened in 1986. At that time, there were ‘donation stations’ along the Trail. The Wheel Pass Program was established in 1989 and continues today.

Wheel Passes can be purchased at local businesses in Cannon Falls, Welch and Red Wing. You can also purchase your Wheel Pass on the Trail's website in case you forgot your wallet.

The regular annual operating budget for the CVT is $225,000. Approximately $115,000 is raised through the Wheel Pass Program annually. The CVT also has a Capital Improvement budget which is $12.1 million over the next 10 years which includes mainly infrastructure needs such as bridge and asphalt replacement.

The CVT will be replacing three bridges and repairing one bridge this coming winter. The substructures of these bridges are approximately 100 years old. The total project cost is $1.4 million.

I hope this information is helpful and you consider returning to the CVT.

Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

40 miles of blissful biking. Started biking from Cannon Falls all the way to Red wing (20 miles one way) There is a stop in between at Welch Station where you have restrooms, water station, free WiFi. Coal Barbecues were available if you want to do a picnic. Welch Station is assessable by car too if you want to do half the length of the trail. You could do the red wing route or cannon falls route.
Well maintained trail, $4 day pass or $25 season pass, below 18 free. Saw lots of families biking with children as well as elderly. There are Rest stations in between all along the way, atleast a bench where you could sit for a while. Beautiful tiny birds where very prominent here. Inbetween we got to see a horse ranch and cows grazing in a farm which could excite kids.
Altogether a very peaceful route. There are a few highways to cross in between which were mostly free. So quite safe.

2  Thank Anne R