“Such a memorable, fantastic place”
Review of Maplelag

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Callaway
Maplelag
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Callaway
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Maplelag is a wonderful place. I have been there every year for several years and my family travels from very far away to join in the fun and we always have a blast. The hosts are wonderful. It is amazing what they have accomplished with the lodge, from its architecture to its decor and its nooks and crannies for relaxing. The ski trails are always extremely well groomed and the experience is a great mix of fun, relaxation and inspiration. The food is fantastic, and the experience of meeting other guests always adds to the experience. We LOVE the polar plunge - is that something you're going to do anywhere else?? This is a place where memories are made. Big thanks to Jim, Mary and company for their attention to detail and hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
MaplelagResort, Public Relations Manager at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Thanks for your your review and your family visit. We appreciate the distances our guests travel to visit Maplelag. We look forward to having you in the future!

Reviewed November 26, 2011

This year will be our family’s eighth annual ski vacation at Maplelag. We find this resort superlative in every aspect. We come back for the skiing, the food, and the friendly atmosphere.

Nordic skiing at Maplelag is superb, with trails of various lengths and difficulty, always eventually leading back to the cookie jar. I was surprised one day when I realized that Jay had been up all night grooming the fresh snow on the trails so that guests would have a great experience. Now that is dedication! The classic trails are excellent, as are the skating trails. Kids get to know the system and enjoy revisiting their favorite trails.

The food at Maplelag is awesome. Debbie does a great job feeding all the hungry skiers, from high school teams to our family team. Meals are served family style, three times a day in a large dining area with long tables and benches. We enjoy visiting with other guests as we fuel up before hitting the trails again.

The Richards family are delightful people, and they have established a warm and friendly atmosphere at Maplelag. We enjoy meeting other folks who like winter! Our kids really enjoy skiing, playing and visiting with other kids. This “lodge atmosphere” is just what we wanted, making our vacation a special experience. The guest-driven talent show is heaps of fun.

The lodge is a large, warm and wonderful place to hang out and warm up. Games and puzzles are popular with guests, and there are lots of comfy couches for curling up with a good book. We enjoy the hot tub, and there is a sauna and massage service available. The wax room is great for tuning up your boards and learning more about waxing.

Maplelag remains a great experience for our family, easily worth our eight hour drive. The activity combinations are endless- dad can ski to his heart’s content, we can all feel the adventure together, and the kids grow up thinking that skiing around in cold temps is normal. See you next year!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank James P

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review, highlighting so many things about Maplelag made possible by great guest like you! We very much appreciate your loyalty and look forward to having you again! Thanks again! Maplelag family.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

Each February for the past five years, we have joined four or five five other couples for a delightful winter weekend at Maplelag, enjoying all the resort has to offer. Among us are those who cross-country ski morning, noon, and night and those who never step foot on a trail. Playing cards, eating, visiting, eating, putting together jigsaw puzzles, eating, taking the Polar Plunge, eating, baking in the sauna, eating, relaxing in the giant hot tub---and more eating--- occupy time off the trails. A few strike out on the snow shoe paths as well. The food is plentiful and superb; the Richards family and staff are attentive and clearly enjoy running the resort. Once our weekend is over, we book for the next year and begin looking forward to our return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan L
MaplelagResort, Guest Relations Manager at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Thanks for the nice review. We appreciate your return visits and the fun atmosphere of your group.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We have found Maplelag a great place to unwind these past 4 years with friends. They offer all the cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or just plain relaxing a person could do in a weekend. There is always a quiet corner to be found in the upstairs of the lodge to read a great book or visit. If you enjoy the outdoorsin the winter this is the place !

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
MaplelagResort, Guest Relations Manager at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2011

We are glad to be able to offer a place to relax as well as a place to be active. Thanks for the kind words and visits. We appreciate it very much.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

We eat, we ski, we go in the outdoor hot tub and we do the Plunge.

There is no where else in the world I'd rather be. I begin looking forward to my annual trip up to Maplelag before we even turn out the driveway on the way back home. I've been going since I was twelve years old and twenty years later haven't missed a visit yet. In those intervening years I have brought family, friends, family of friends and friends of family. The skiing is sublime, the food is delicious, the lodgings are phenomenal, but the best thing is the people. The Richards family has treated me like a member of their own family and I cannot say enough good things about them and Maplelag.

I even made a website for our annual trip!

Room Tip: There are rooms good for groups, families, couples, and kids, all depending on your needs and the nu...
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ubxs113

You folks truly represent "Maplelaggers" We sincerely appreciate the kinds words and loyal business. Always look forward to having you back!

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I have conducted an annual business retreat at Maplelag for 15 years. The experience is treasured by all who come. Enjoying the beauty of nature in this setting inspires us all to higher heights. The staff is like family to us now. They go above and beyond with special touches like flowers and acorns on the serving trays, birthday treats for my friends, favorite menu items and surprises on our plates, too. WORLD CLASS is an understatement.I travel all over the world, to the finest resorts with my company, and Maplelag has captured my heart.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
MaplelagResort, Public Relations Manager at Maplelag, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

We always enjoy having your group and the positive energy and atmosphere. We very much appreciate the business and look forward to having you in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

When this East coast girl came to the Twin Cities thirty some years ago, it was for a job that put her half way to her Mecca: San Francisco. Although smitten with the arts, parks and can-do political action of the area, this Mermaid never considered staying until she learned that she could sweat outdoors in the middle of winter: cross-country skiing was an epiphany. This, plus a commitment to enjoy every day of Minnesota summer and escape to the Caribbean for a winter respite, made life in the state rated "42nd in the use of hot sauce" seem possible. So I set down roots, married, and allowed myself to be dragged along to bring in New Year 1988 with my husband's work buddies and families at some place 5 hours away near North Dakota: the snowiest spot in the state. One visit and it became an annual tradition. The first few years I skied a bit but was happy to consider it a spa vacation from work and real life: reading in the cozy nooks, visiting with a global array of guests, eating gourmet comfort food, soaking in the 30 foot outdoor hot tub, and finishing the day with a massage. It was even fun when my son was growing up: the lodge was essentially a huge, safe, infinitely interesting playpen filled with kids of all ages. But the height of each new year's visit was the zany homespun talent show...kind of a spur of the moment Lake Woebegon production by guests. I was smitten. Now moving into what Jane Fonda calls the "Prime Time" of life, I have taken a few cross-country lessons at the resort and invested in a new pair of waxable skis. You'll fine me at my winter home ~ Maplelag ~ for as many more New Years as I am allowed.

Room Tip: Simply talk with the management. They will help you as much as they can. Consider them family.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for sharing your story. We love winter and so glad to be able to share it with others. Thanks again.

Been to Maplelag? Share your experiences!