“Beautiful Place”

Oxbow Park and Zollman Zoo
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Byron
Reviewed September 11, 2013

A wonderful place to visit.We used to take our kids there back in the day.We brought 2 of the grand kids now,& boy did they just love it !! Beautiful setting,they both interacted with the animals,our youngest got kissed by one of the goats,she just laughed so hard.Nice area to picnic at.Well worth the drive over,& great way to spend the day.

There are newer reviews for Oxbow Park and Zollman Zoo

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Zollman zoo provides a wonderful place to take your family to see animals of Minnesota. The layout of the zoo is well done allowing for a great visit.
Oxbow park is an excellent place for a picnic or family outing. The only downside is that you can't take dogs on the trails. Not sure why this is.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Can't beat free! The nature center is worth a visit ... my kids enjoyed the snakes. Quite a good variety of animals on the grounds, including two bald eagles, prairie dogs, otters and, my favorite, a herd of buffalo. We don't get a lot of buffalo down here in Virginia, so this was a thrill for me, and they came really close to the fence so I got a good look (and lots of pictures). This was a great outing for my family. My boys are 5 and 3 and loved it. Quiet and easily walkable, and did I mention it's free? Well worth a visit if in the Rochester area.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at the park, they have huge Bison that you feel like you can reach out and touch! They have other animals too that are fun to watch in the zoo, especially the otters, they're so playful!
Great hikes around there too, a nice river and some really well maintained trails.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I spent a recent Saturday taking my kids to the Oxbow park/Zollman zoo near Byron. My kids had been there before on a field trip, but I never had. My parents came with us as well.

I was expecting a tiny zoo with just a few animals. And....it is tiny, but I was surprised at the animals they have. A bear, linx, mountain lion, bobcat, coyote, wolves, otters, eagle, owls, bison, elk, prairie dogs, a badger, fisher, snakes, fox, procupines, and probably a few other animals I'm forgetting. The animals looked very well cared for, and had decent sized enclosures with things for them to do. We got to watch the bear dig for apples the zoo keepers had hidden in the rocks by his pond. We also got to see a baby porcupine climb down a tree in the middle of his cage, and the lynx jump from one branch to another in his cage. There was a small petting zoo area, with calves, ponies, and goats people can pet.

The zoo has a nature center where you can use the restroom, get information, or borrow a wagon to pull your toddlers around in. The snakes are also located in the nature center. I couldn't believe how huge the bull snake was. There was also a timber rattlesnake which was interesting to see.

Besides the actual zoo, there are also several hiking trails. I hiked a ways on one of them; it was very wooded and peaceful. There are several picnic areas in the park, a campground, and a few playgrounds. There's an old house open for display; only the first floor is open but it was still neat to see.

A family could easily spend the whole day here. I was really impressed; it appears to be a hidden gem in southern Minnesota. And it's FREE!

1  Thank kren250