Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa
Hollin Hall Hotel(Macclesfield)
The Bridge Hotel(Prestbury)
Legh Arms(Prestbury)
View Hotel
Mottram Hall(Mottram St. Andrew)
Chadwick House Hotel(Macclesfield)
    Deanwater Hotel(Stockport)
    Navigation Inn(Buxworth)
    2,954 results
    All reviewsgolf coursecourtyard barafternoon teaold churchevening mealjacuzzi bathpeak districtdeluxe roomleisure facilitiesself serviceleisure clubthree course meallovely settinggolf breaknight breakbirthday treatshort break
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed February 16, 2014

Planned as part of my Fincee's Christmas present, we set off on Friday the 14th of Feb 2014 for our anticipated weekend of relative luxury. We arrived at 16:30 and entered the somewhat dimly lit reception area. On approaching the desk, I noted the nervous looking receptionist and realised bad news was on the horizon. "We are suffering a power cut, as a knock on effect of the Storms" she apologetically informed us. I asked what our options were. "We have no idea when the power might come back on, it could be as late as 9pm. So there is no evening meal, heating, hot water etc and you would be advised no to stay!". She then offered a full refund which would be re-paid as soon as the power comes back on!
    We were gutted but natural disasters happen without blame and though disappointing this was far from a disaster. We accepted the promise of a refund and started for home (Liverpool 45 miles away). On the Journey home Gerry my fiancée phoned a couple of friends to see if there were any vacancies in a 50 mile radius, as our dog sitter had moved into our house for the weekend, after half an hour the negative responses came flooding in. It looked like we were spending the weekend at home! No problem, we would open a bottle of sparkly and laugh it off. On arrival back at Liverpool, I suggested (as we were very disappointed) that I make a last call to Shrigley, to see if the power was back on. Imagine our comparative joy when we were told that it came back on an hour ago. It was only 19:00 we could be back there in just over an hour.
    We arrived at 20:10 and went to reception cheerfully anticipating a lovely weekend. I briefly explained our recent situation and disappointment to the Lady on reception duty and she handed me an arrivals form to complete, she then said you are in Room 349. On enquiring where the room was, the receptionist gave us a very rushed but complicated description of the route and enquired if we knew where we were going. I answered not really?
    This was the turning point regarding this review! The receptionist, on realising I was too stupid to understand her instruction, rolled her eyes as if dealing with a moron, then repeated her directions in a very noticeably frustrated way. We departed reception feeling a little irked and spent the next 10 minutes lugging our luggage through corridors looking for Room 349, we discovered the lift we were tasked to employ but unfortunately the receptionist had neglected to tell us it was out of order! On arrival at the door of room 349 Gerry operated the door card to reveal an attic room taken up almost entirely by the bed. The television was at a right angle to the bed because the sloping ceiling does not allow space for it at the foot of the bed. The roller blind was not large enough to cover the skylight. In short we were presented with a two star room in a 4 star hotel. We phoned Reception to explain that after multiple visits to Shrigley Hall, that this was the worst room we had ever seen let alone been allocated. We were then re-allocated room 248. On approaching room 248 we were alarmed to hear a dog howling from the adjoining room, apparently this highly rated establishment now welcomes canines! No problem with that, but maybe if you are accompanied by your dog you wouldn't mind the attic room? Room 248 was acceptable though I would not grade it 4 star accommodation. The dog noises were less evident once the TV was switched on.
    I am so disappointed in the treatment we received, after so looking forward to our special weekend. On arrival we were asked when we would like to dine, each timing we asked for, we were told, sorry, fully booked, until eventually Gerry asked so, what bookings are available? the receptionist said only 21:30! So why ask; when you would like to dine????
    The Newspaper that was requested as part of our deal never appeared and when I asked, on the Saturday morning, was told "the papers arrived late" and on Sunday, "Somebody must have stolen it".
    I suppose it was inevitable that I suffered severe Diarrhoea for the final 24 hours of our stay. I cannot claim that this was down to the food at Shrigley but it certainly capped a very disappointing weekend.
    I would like to point out that the dining room staff were exemplary throughout, and a special mention for the wine waiter whose friendly disposition was a breath of fresh air.
    Puma Hotels need to have a review of what is happening to a much loved Hotel which has so many happy memories for us and one very bad one!

Room Tip: If all rooms in the 300 series are as bad as 349! Refuse it. You are paying 4 Star expect 4 Star.
    1  Thank jimbodmin
    Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I recently came for a dinner as part of a club we are members of. I am in a chair and my wife also finds it difficult on her feet but the staff, particularly Olivia, Dean and John could not have done enough to help us. Arranging access to the room via the kitchen was a little unusual but we thought it interesting to see the inside of a working kitchen! Food was excellent in particular the duck and the desert of poached pear and honeycomb parfait. When it was our time to go Olivia was particularly good, getting our coats and an umbrella and helping my wife and I our taxi. A big thank you to John and his team for accommodating us and all of our group, we hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed: February 2014
    Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Juneandjames,

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent dinner here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Nice to read you had an excellent dinner and yourself and your wife was fully catered for by our wonderful staff John, Dean and Olivia; I will ensure your praise is past on to them personally. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future to enjoy another great night with us.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is an amazing hotel with lovely bedrooms great facilities and absolutely fantastic staff who make you feel extremely valued. If you sign up to the Puma hotels offers website you can get some very good offers at different times in the year

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
    Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Debbi C,

Thank you for your nice review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Great to read you had an excellent stay and fully enjoyed all the facilities on offer; our staff are a credit to us so I will ensure they hear of your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back throughout the year.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Peter died of cancer, so my wife wanted to make a pilgrimage to her little brother’s old school at Pott Shrigley which is now a hotel.

I read the reviews on Trip advisor with trepidation, regardless of the luke warm comments we were going. In retrospect we should have used a premier inn!

The room was small and furnished, one presumes; with the eclectic remnants of the Old Catholic school dormitories, although in fairness the bed was comfortable and warm despite mould caused by water ingress around the window and behind the wardrobe.

Putting on a brave face we decided on a quick coffee before changing for dinner. The in room kettle was stained horribly brown inside and quite put us off using it.

The restaurant food menu read really well, everything sounded wonderful. Alas the gap between expectation and actual was so great that the training needed would be counted in months rather than hours. The stilton tart was actually a few crumbs of cheese melted onto a 4 inch circle of puff pastry? That’s not a tart!

The Rioja wine retailing at £6-7 in a coop was £24 a bottle and as it turned out quite off as my mouthful of sediment (spat back into the glass) laid testament too! After complaining we were not charged for the wine.

We asked to take coffee in the large ante area where live piano music was played the comfortable chairs allowed us to relax and marvel at the humour of the pianist as he changed tune mid song and played ‘raining in my heart’ to accompany the water that was coming through the ceiling. After this the evening went downhill, yes it could get worse!

On returning to the room we wanted to clean our teeth and wash the sediment taste from our mouths; my wife noticed the water was dark and bubbly. We phoned downstairs and were told ‘the water is unsafe to drink, there is a notice’!!! No there wasn’t, but it did explain the brown stains in the kettle.

We asked for 2 bottles of water. They would be charged and also a £5 charge for delivery to our room? In desperation, anger (and black pj’s) my wife stormed down the many flights of stairs to the bar to get 2 glasses of water.

The morning arrived unlike the ordered newspaper, and breakfast was taken. The continental selection of smoked salmon, sliced ham and 2 chesses lacked the salmon and ham, not available! Very much like the peaches and berry compote (sorry not today); this also applied to the apple juice and sautéed potatoes.

Of that which was placed on offer in the buffet styled trays, it was edible but of no greater quality than that which is heated daily in any motorway service area, although being a buffet portions could be larger.

The potential of this old building in such a stunning location is there for all to see; alas it seems it is doomed to play second fiddle to the cash producing golf course.

Room Tip: check the room before checking in
    5  Thank boston b
    Reviewed February 9, 2014

Visited for 1 night stay 7th Feb. Booked with a Groupon voucher for £109 for DBB plus wine. We paid for a room upgrade after checking trip advisor reviews so paid £134. Our room was excellent. Food was excellent. If you do want veg and potatoes with some of the meals or coffee this is extra. (£16 for 1portion chips, 1 veg and 2 americano coffees). Our stay was excellent value. Would certainly visit again using a voucher. Reception said travelzoo and secret escapes often also do the vouchers but no deals at present for march unfortunately!! As soon as a voucher available we will visit again.

Room Tip: Pay for a premium room upgrade.
    • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
    Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear Trebor12113,

Thank you for your great review following your recent visit here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Its lovely to read of your stay booked via the Groupon deal and you found your upgraded room of excellent standard. I'm glad your included dinner was thoroughly enjoyed and the extras found to be of excellent value to complement your meal. Our reception team is correct we have vouchers launching constant throughout the year and would like to inform you of a Living Social voucher which has gone live recently which would allow you to book within March so with this news I hope to welcome you back then.