“Ok , not special or 4*”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
staffs
“Ok , not special or 4*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed one night with friends. Room was small and no sound proofing from revellers returning from on site function :(. Rather tired looking bathroom but bed was comfy. Bar service hit and miss as all staff working on the aforesaid function! Dont go if you are less able on your feet as it is a massive rabbit warren and loads of stairs! Breakfast was fine but nothing special. Slept badly as room was very warm! Meh really

Room Tip: a room in the main house may be better
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear anjminniemouse,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm saddened to here you did not find your experience very special, our hotel dates back to 1824 so the layout is quirky between the old and new build. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme throughout which will target the bedroom and bathrooms, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future so we can impress you with the positive changes being made.

Saffron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (563)
Godalming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

On the whole the hotel is pretty good and it's in a lovely location. I thought my room was reasonable, not outstanding, but certainly nothing wrong with it. The gym there is tired and could do with some improvements. I found the breakfast disappointing, but other than that it's a reasonable choice for the area. If you have more money to spend there are way better options!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Arron L,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm disappointed to read you didn't have an outstanding stay, the hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment throughout which will take into consideration your comments regarding your room. I will ensure to take your comments back to the breakfast team to ensure training and standards are reviewed and maintained. I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future to experience the positive changes we are making.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is the most marmite hotel we have ever stayed at. When you arrive expectations soar at the imposing entrance and the hotel just is not geared up to a level of luxury it would be easy to expect. Like many of the reviews we also got the long walk to the reception, had light that didn't work, poor plumbing, warm bottle of white wine and my serious gripe the dinner menu from Sunday was repeated on Tuesday. However the corollary of this is for a little over £110 per night we got reasonable breakfast, adequate dinner, choice of bars, spa / gym facilities, swimming pool and a golf course which in our opinion is a bargain.
We like marmite and certainly enjoyed Shrigley Hall.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. That's the first I've read the hotel described as Marmite but I'm glad you liked. I'm afraid due to the quirky layout of the hotel there is a walk between the old and new part of the building. I'm glad you enjoyed our challenging golf course. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon to experience the positive refurbishments we are making.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Just a short 3 day break but the premium room was absolutely lovely, excellent staff. nothing was too much trouble for all the team from reception to the dining room. Lovely evening meals, will certainly return.

Dear Diniann,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. I'm delighted your short 3 day break was excellent and you enjoyed one of our lovely Premium rooms. I will ensure to pass your praise about our team on to them. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near furture.

Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Lovely setting and grand entrance, friendly staff. Only complaint would be that my room was a bit dark inside, the bathroom was great, large light & airy and all of it very clean. Quite a long walk from my room to reception/breakfast, but breakfast was good with plenty of choice.Ate in the bar in the evening - good food and good service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear mackie123,

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Great to read you had a nice stay and enjoyed the good food and friendliness of our staff; I will certainly pass your feedback to the team. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Henley On Thames
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

The employees were friendly and did a good job.
The problem is the quality of the product. The Hotel has a great setting and what could possibly be a stunning Hotel. It is you advertise as a 4 star without being unkind the quality of your rooms and bathrooms would not come up to a reasonable B&B standard. The quality (I use the term loosely) of work in the bathrooms reminded me from something from DIY nightmares. I could do better - which is saying it is really bad.
The whole place felt tiered and run down and in need of a massive investment.
The breakfast service looks like it has been organised by someone who trained at Butlins. The only involvement of the staff is to seat you and clear the table. You queue for making your own drinks from the drinks machine and the queue again for your self service buffet.
The Hotel (certainly at the weekends) appears to be aimed at the lower priced wedding venue market

1 Thank CliveI
Dear Clivel,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. I apologise for the experience you encountered. I would like to reassure that our hotel is currently about to undergo a refurbishment project which will tackle the tired bedrooms and bathrooms. I was concerned to read your comments regarding breakfast and will ensure to relay these to the team and proper training is being carried out to ensure our high service standards are met and maintained. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future to experience the positive changes we are making.

Travelers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

Lichfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for one night and have no complaints. Check in was efficient and our rooms were clean and comfortable. My room was clean and well decorated and although the bathroom was tight it wasn't a problem. I had a view of the roof and pipework but I was hardly in my room so it didn't bother me.
We used the spa facilities and really enjoyed them. For anyone chosing a spa break in my opinion this would be a good option, there are plenty of loungers by the pool, and a seperate relaxation area.
We both enjoyed our evening meal and breakfasts. There was plenty of choice and the food was good quality.
As with many properties I suspect your view will depend on the price you pay and the room you are allocated. We were both happy and would return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Saffron C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear LittleDollyUk,

Thank you for your nice comments following your recent stay here with us at Shrigley Hall Hotel, part of the Puma Collection. Its lovely to read you and your friend had an enjoyable stay and got to sample our recently renewed spa facilities. The views from our rooms do vary across the hotel dependant where your room is situated but I'm glad this didn't alter your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the variety of food on offer and will pass your compliments on. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,500 reviews
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!