“Very nice venue, let down by staff.”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my girlfriend went for the weekend, and while we are both 22 I suppose we would appear like well dressed teenagers to some. The venue itself was fabulous, even with the bad weather, but the staff themselves were either devoid of social skills such as the bar staff who didn't once raise his head to look at us when speaking, or cold to the point of uncomfortable such as the receptionist who signed us in.

My girlfriend being a short and rather quiet person felt patronized for a lot of the weekend.

Still, the food was magnificent and the attitude of the staff was easy to ignore once the three course meal and lovely room took our minds off of things. And I imagine in the right weather the signposted walking routes around the golf courses would be very nice. (The regular signs threatening walkers that they use these routes at their own risk of being hit by a golf ball are a bit disheartening however).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony T
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Tony T,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. i was disappointed to hear your feedback on the service from my team. I can assure you that this is not the norm and I will be addressing your comments with them personally. I was please to see that you enjoyed your room and the food in our Oakridge Restaurant and I do hope that these service issues did not have a negative impact upon your stay.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We decided to try a Groupon hotel dbb deal in search of somewhere nice... The hotel is in a nice location and the entrance is impressive. Reception lacked a welcoming character and gave no instructions. The room was average, with good curtains and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had lots of hairs on side of bath, dirty grouting, a 'failed' towel rail and filthy extractor fan. The pool is just for paddling, jacuzzi was poorly built and needed filtering, the steam room is disgusting and the sauna had no water for steam. My girlfriend did not want to use the changing rooms due to see-through/missing shower doors and dirty floor. Dinner was good, although we strongly recommend making reservations, as we had to wait until 9pm. We did ring to confirm booking, but were not asked to book dinner. Some may find it embarrassing to ask what the deal included once seated (all on menu and house wine). Breakfast was awfully disorganised, with a huge number of waiting and cleanliness issues. Yoghurt was warm and there were no plates. The quality of the breakfast was average and not helped by the bad waiting. Good value with the deal, but certainly would not pay full price.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Douglaskj

Dear Douglaskj,

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay here with us. I was disappointed to read that there were some issues which had a negative impact upon your stay. I am pleased to let you know that we will soon be commencing with a refurbishment of our pool area and changing rooms which will address the issues you raised. I do hope you will return to stay with us again to see the positive changes we have made.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have stayed at other hotels in the same price bracket and I found they were a lot cleaner and the staff more welcoming. I was more than disappointed with the room that my husband and i were allocated upon arrival as we found we were overlooking the back of the restaurant which obviously houses the bins, so to find that we were staying at one of the most picturesque hotels in the country with one of the most 'un-picturesque' views was highly disappointing, especially having spent a small fortune to stay their.

Dear Steph G,

I was upset to read that you did not enjoy your stay here with us and was concerned to hear that you found the hotel unclean and our staff unwelcoming, this is definitely not indicative of the feedback we normally receive and i will ensure your comments are addressed. The hotel is housed in 262 acres of glorious Cheshire countryside, however, only our deluxe rooms offer guaranteed views of this. However, we have introduced new walks around the grounds where you get amazing vistas of Manchester, Buxton and the Peak District.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very disappointing accommodation in much need of updating. Ripped blinds, water marks on the ceiling, broken toilet flush. Certainly not the Shrigley Hall I remember staying at a few years ago. Some of the carpets needing a good clean...Oh and take your own bottled water as apparently the bar catering for the wedding reception we were attending did not sell this nor could they give tap water as this was yellow! My son got a large coca cola...£3.60!!

1  Thank missk900

Dear missk900,

I was upset to read of the issues you experienced during your recent stay here; I am concerned at the comments given by my bar team and will ensure these are investigated fully. We are currently in a period of refurbishment and rejuvenation throughout the hotel and we will be addressing any issues with the bedrooms during these works. I do hope you will return again soon to see the positive changes we have made.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on bank holiday sunday on a special offer. Room not ready until aftr 2pm but we know other rooms were available but we could use our friends room to leave our bags whilst we had afternoon tea (part of the deal). Unfortunately we were told afternoon tea available from 11 so when we went for it at half twelve we thought it would be ok. We were then told its not available until 2 but they would do it for 1pm which we thought was ok. Finally got it at nearly twenty to three. Ours friends had to move room as they had one in the old building but bathroom not up to their clean standard. They got a room in the new block and this was fine. We requested the same block and this was no problem so very happy. Despite some small issues the hotel is very nice very clean and staff very pleasant. Dinner was nice but took a while where as breakfast was excellent the food overall is very nice. We will definitely stay here again but will wait for another deal. Oh yes there was a wedding on and this did not impinge on our stay so seems well organised.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear gandlcoates,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. It seems as though there were a couple of minor issues around the service of your afternoon tea and the cleanliness of the bathroom. Please accept my apologies for these. I'm delighted, however, that these did not impact on your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shrigley soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Greg2283,

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Good location with easy access from Motorway

Many and varied activities available near by to the Hotel

First night in the Restaurant was disappointing but staff rectified the problems and the next day was significantly improved

Dear Brian S,

Than you for your recent review of your stay here with us. I was upset to read that your first experience in our restaurant was disappointing but i'm glad that this was rectified on your second night. We are always striving to improve and I do hope you will visit again to experience a faultless stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!