“Unclean and overpriced room.”

Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at Shrigley Hall in August 2013. The photos on the website looked great so my mum booked a 2 night stay for us. When we arrived we were directed to our room which unfortunately was not in the main part of the hotel (the nice old building in the photos!). We were situated at the back in the newer building, with no view. Our room was very small and very basic; we could have been in a travel lodge! The carpets hadn't been hoovered, there were hairs all over the bathroom. The toilet did not flush properly, the bath was dirty, and there was a loose electrical fitting hanging off the wall. In addition to this, the room smelt of cigarette smoke. Overall, the room was very shabby, and definitely not worth the price we paid.
On the first night we ate in the bar. The staff were very friendly and helpful, however the food was overpriced and not of a great standard.
The swimming pool was small but nice. However, the sauna and steam room needed cleaning.
Although the grounds are beautiful, I think the rooms need a lot of work, and the cleaning has got to be up to a higher standard to reach the 4 stars the hotel has been awarded. My mother and I were quite disappointed with our stay at Shrigley Hall and unfortunately would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RachelP1991
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear RachelP1991,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay here with us; I was extremely dissapointed to read of the issues you experienced and can assure you that they have been addressed with the teams involved. I am confident that your experience was not indicative of our usual standards and would like to you my sincere apologies.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I would definitely return to Shrigley Hall. It was the most relaxing break I have ever had. The staff could not have been friendlier nor more helpful.
The breakfast was excellent and there was plenty to choose from. Nicola was in particular pleasant, helpful and nothing was a bother to her.
The spa was the best I have ever been in, the setting in the church was so peaceful and relaxing. Its a must f you are staying there.
The bar staff were extremely friendly and made us feel welcome also.
The walks around the golf course were peaceful, quiet and there were various different routes you could take. Lots of history about the building which my 91 year old father was totally interested in and made his stay, gave him loads to talk about on his return home. The building has an abundance of character which you dont often get these days. I will definitely return to Shrigley Hall.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank zara2712

Dear zara2712,

I was delighted to read your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I was especially pleased to read that you found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Shrigley soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband have just returned from a lovely night away at shrigley hall. We got a fab deal of travel zoo and had a great night away. I have rated the hotel 4 stars because there is a little room for improvement but honestly it's nothing major and if your not super picky they will not affect your stay. I presume management will read this so I will give a true review so that you can make this hotel fab rather than great.

Reception-
Pleasant check in, very impressive decor. Room was ready when we checked in. The hotel is a rabbit warren but anyone with common sense should be able to find their room. One thing I did notice, a lot of the halls could do with a good hoovering, I actually saw one cleaner doing the main stairs and she had missed loads and turned the Hoover off( really picky I know but if I notice it, super picky people definitely will), also a stack of empty cups and glasses had been left on a window sill in the hall, it just doesn't look good. The hallways in sections need tarting up with a lick of paint, lots of worn wood etc(althought maintainence work seems to be going on).

Rooms- we had a room in the new block at the back (158), lovely comfy bed, nice tv, fan. Bathroom adequate. Little things let it down, the wall next to the bed had stained wall paper, rusty bin in the bathroom, few dusty areas, some grout in the bathroom needs toiching up,again nothing major but so simple to rectify and would make a big difference.

Food/restaurant-
Food was lovely, breakfast was all good. Dinner was amazing, a little slow between courses but nothing major.

Bar - nice bar area, only complaint the menus are creased and grubby and does not look good in an establishment like shrigley.

Spa- pool is nice, sauna good, the steam room has really seen better days needs renovating,jacuzzi had way too much chlorine in stung my eyes.

I have been quite negative but I assure you we had a great night in a great hotel in great surroundings. The staff are all lovely. Just needs the finishing touches and it would make all the difference.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Laura 1983,

Many thanks for your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and your constructive feedback has been noted and put to use throughout the hotel. I do hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were very dissapointed with our stay at Shrigley Hall - Our bedroom was a very long way from the lift - really out of the way - it smelt of smoke - was very small, and mirror was not clean. There was a cigarette butt on our window ledge ! Also the breakfast was poor - porridge and kippers took an age to arrive and there were no sweeteners - grapefruit juice was watered down, and the buffet food was unappealing. It was overall poor value and i wouldnt recommend it

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear 900MRM,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay here with us. I'm glad we have been able to speak seperately about these issues and I do hope this has gone someway to apologising for your experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Did we stay in the same hotel?, was my response on reading the two earlier reviews. Stayed as party of 2 couples 3rd/4th August. It is a stunning setting particularly on a sunny day. In any hotel with such a setting you will no doubt always encounter at least one wedding party which makes the place feel very busy. Had rooms in the new block which whilst not the biggest were perfectly acceptable, huge comfy bed all the usual facilities plus a table and couple of chairs. Bathroom good size with plenty of room for cosmetics/toiletries, fluffy towels. All clean and well maintained. Main problem is it is a real rabbit warren, lots of stairs. Restaurant was very busy on Saturday night with large parties. We had booked for 8.30 on arrival were told our booking had been put down for 9.00pm but we were quickly found a table. Food was delicious staff worked hard to keep on top of things and managed to give a personal service. As per a previous reviewer we found Kyle had a good knowledge of the menu, was very professional with a sense of fun; he has a great future in the hospitality industry. Breakfast service on Sunday friendly and efficient; bit of a wait on Monday morning at 9.00am as staff worked hard to clear tables and keep things topped up. I suspect this was due to everyone lingering as it was raining heavily. We were there for a break and relaxation so it did not matter. Husbands breakfasted at 7.00am due to an early tee time and found service slick without delays. Spa area has a nice lounge but around the pool is a bit basic, not much room for loungers.
Best of all staff in all areas were very friendly and professional. Will be happy to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Sunandski4me,

Many thanks for your positive comments following your recent stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and made use of all the facilities whilst you were here. Your praise for Kyle is very much appreciated and has been passed onto him. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Lovely setting ..true BUT too many guests .. Very poor service.. Didn't even make up our room... Food took 50 minutes to arrive ... Vegetable soup absolutely tasteless, pasta dish uninspiring, steak tough and chewy! Breakfast was 'pile it high' a bit like school dinners. Really didn't live up to the period images. A real let down.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Crossruff

Dear crossruff,

I was upset to read your comments following your recent stay here with us, I can assure you that your experience, especially in our restaurant, is not normal. I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback, we are always working hard to improve our standards and we will use your comments for such purposes. I hope that I can one day weclome you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We arrived via rear enterance from the carpark. Nice enough hotel, asked about upgrades at reception on arrival and offered superior room for £30 extra: bigger room, robe slippers etc.

Upon entering the room room looked standard. Beds quite lumpy and topper thin. The windows were wide open with no way of closing them, we did try but sash windows and top area open. Shower water hot but not very powerful.

No robes or slippers in the room.

Went and used the pool which was adequate although a hosepipe running across the floor and into pool, with cold water running in. Jacuzzi too hot and smelt of chemicals.

Went back up to the room to get ready for evening meal and made use of the hair dryer only for my hair to get stuck in the motor at the back and we had to cut my hair free. Upon further inspection. The hair dryer was faulty and had no guard protection on the back.

Went and reported to reception about the hair dryer incident and that we paid or upgraded room and no robe etc, and dryer issue was skipped Over with no mention or appologies. Other than saying there must be a house keeping issue and will speak with duty manager as another room had not had robe and slippers.

Dinner was painfully slow, brioche burnt, drinks took too long and due to this didn't bother waiting for desert but told we have to pay for side order even though we've not had desert.

Very disappointed so much so , didn't bother to go to the bar for drinks after and have just gone to bed.

Now sat in the room writing this.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank pudding1234

Dear pudding1234,

I was disappointed to read of the issues you faced whilst staying here recently, we pride ourselves on offering great hospitality and service and i'm sorry if that's not what you received. i am informed by my duty manager that he met with you on checkout to discuss and resolve the problems. I can assure you your stay is not indicative of our usual high standards and I hope it hasn't put you off returning.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!