“Lovely location, excellent cuisine!”

Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Took up the Mother's Day offer £50 for 1 nights B&B for 2. I paid an extra £20 to become a lifetime member and received a room upgrade, 2pm checkout 25% off lunch (we had salmon and vegetables in the Courtyard bar, it was ok but nothing special)

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and is a splendid building. We dined in the Oakridge restaurant in the evening and the food was fantastic and worth the £29.95 for 3 courses. The health club facilities are fine but nothing special.

Overall our stay was lovely and we'll definitely be heading back on one of the inclusive dinner packages.

Enjoy
Juliet
Gtr Manchester

• Stayed: March 2013
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Juliet E

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group and was pleased to read your positive feedback on our AA rosette Oakridge Restaurant. I look forward to welcoming you back to stay wth us again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,865)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business with a colleague.initial thoughts, grand hotel, impressive reception area and stairs, and high hopes!

Room - I stayed in 250, which is at the very back of the hotel and basically in an attic with a skylight.ok decor, no information in room on facilities, dinner,breakfast etc, damp marks on ceilings d 1970s hairdryer. Not really that impressive compared to what the hotel looks like at the front and if I was paying myself I would have complained.

Food - table booked for 7.30 in restaurant. Menu not great and £29.50 for 2 courses with a £9 supplement for sirloin steak.also empty, maybe because of the prices. Decided against it and tried the bar.typical pub grub at again over inflated prices and grubby tables which we cleared ourselves. On ordering food at the bar we were then told the chef had stopped taking orders for at least 40 mins, on asking why I was told because the restaurant was busy? Bear in mind I had just been there and there was less than 10 people in there. The staff then told us we would be better driving 10 mins to a local pub!?! (The pier inn, I can recommend, was lovely).

Breakfast was ok, all self service including Luke warm coffee machine, nothing great

All in all, ok hotel, but as so done who is away on a weekly basis in hotels I would say it was a 5star looking hotel from the outside but 3 star standard.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 250 and if at back of hotel remember its a good 5 min walk to the front, and y...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank nicky1379

Dear Nicky1379,

Thankyou for your review following your recent stay here with us. I would like to apologise for the problems you experienced in both the restaurant and bar, this is definately not the usual standard I know we deliver and I will ensure your comments are fedback to the team.

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum stayed for 1 night to celebrate my 21st birthday and mothers day.The hotel and food was really nice but the bar staff ignore you while standing at the bar rather than apolagising for your wait. We stayed for 1 night and used the spa facilities on both days.we booked a decleor mini facial & back,neck & shoulder massage and was looking forward to it all weekend and was the last ttreatment we had before returning home.I was really dissapointed because the 2 girls who did our treatment was not decleor trained so she kept wispering to the other girl and stopping through the treatment which was really anoying because she did not have a clue what she was doing and to top it all off we didnt even have a face mask.im a qualified beauty therapist trained in decleor i have paid alot of money for a treatment,the girls should be trained in decleor before doing a decleor treatment on a paying client!

Dear Paige Varley,

Thankyou for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm sorry that the service you received in the spa was below our normal standard. I will ensure these comments are passed on and rectified.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Beautiful panoramic views, a warm greeting from reception, excellent breakfast and great spa and gym make this competitively priced hotel a good alternative to staying in the middle of Manchester if you have the time to go the extra few miles. There is also a golf course and practice range in the grounds. Whilst some refurbishment will be necessary in the next few years, everything worked and I loved the warm Northern hospitality. Thank you for my stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay wth us

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have stayed here a couple of times now and loved it both times. The rooms are what you can expect to find in a hotel of this age and period. Overall cleanliness was very good. We used the restaurant and the bar and the food was delicious.
We also used the spa facilities and although the changing rooms could do with updating, the steam room, jacuzzi, sauna and pool were well maintained and clean.
I think this hotel's biggest assets is it's staff, who were always friendly, helpful and professional. The hotel is ideally located for visiting the peak district or just to sit and do as little as you want. We were definitely not disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here at Shrigley Hall, part of the Puma Hotels Group and was pleased to read your positive feedback. We are currently in the process of updating our changing rooms. I look forward to welcoming you back to stay wth us

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Based around a fine Regency building and set in pretty grounds, the approach to Shrigley Hall is very impressive. The hotel consists of some large public spaces and some potentially rather grand guest bedrooms in the historic building but with the majority of the accommodation arranged around a courtyard to the rear.

Many original features have been retained in the foyer, including a gorgeous dome over a central staircase. Unfortunately, the restoration of the dome betrays the 1989 date of the conversion. The shades of blue and silver chosen for it are jarringly out of period. Flat surfaces accommodate sculpture of a quality ranging from decent reproductions to a gift shop cherub on an ornamental column. Reproduction paintings are from the correct period but their colours have faded badly and the impression is of the lid of an old jigsaw puzzle.

To the rear, the conservatory bar in looks out onto slightly bleak courtyard which could use a little more landscaping and shaggy lawns which surprised me in view of the attached golf club.

The rooms though, are perfectly nice. Bathrooms are of a generous size and there is adequate although not exceptional hot water and pressure in the shower, the bed is comfy. The TV is large and not overburdened with hotel specific content. Wifi worked in my room and the connection was good. However, the free wifi advertised on the booking is limited to 512kb which is barely adequate. For more speed  you need to pay extra. That sort of thing annoys me. It feels mean in a Hotel with aspirations to luxury and how much revenue does it actually raise?

I ate dinner in the bar. The menu was rather unadventurous - burger, bangers and mash, fish and chips - but pricy for bar food. For £14, a burger needs to be pretty awesome and while this was good, it wasn't awesome. It might even have been frozen (certainly, it felt too dense to have been made on site). Also, no-one asked how I wanted it cooked, which I would expect at this price. And treacle pudding with "sauce anglaise" made me laugh. If there is one thing in the world that need not blush to be accompanied by plain old custard it is surely treacle pudding.

Breakfast was served in the main restaurant, which was, probably, the high point. Great view over the park, towering ceilings and nice furniture. I even enjoyed one or two cheeky post modern architectural features which clearly date back to the 1989 conversion but have evidently survived a more recent refresh. Service was a little eccentric but friendly and swift.

The little contact I had with staff was great but they felt a little thin on the ground in a large hotel. Then again, I think that the place was very quiet on the night of my visit and the guests were rattling around a little. I'm sure that on a busier night or with a wedding party in, the place would really come to life.

Dear Hunneric,

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay here with us. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed many aspects of the hotel and the staff. We are constantly working on updating and improving many features of the hotel whilst staying true to it's period festures.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The swimming pool is perhaps the only attracting factor but water is freezing and the excuse that fresh water was added in the last couple of days and it takes 2-3 days for water to heat up!! non sense, what if you are staying in these unlucky days of water change!!
The food is below average, slow service and if you ask for kids menu it is not readily available and they need to take time to find it and serve it.
Staff are friendly but inexperienced, the rooms are small and noisy so expect you and your children to hear all outside and neighbours noises at night.
If you have fault in your room (in our case toilet flush does not work) then room service did not attend/communicate back or followed up the matter despite of reporting the fault to reception twice.
If you like walking so the place is not for you. it is far from usual safe walking areas and the hotel ground is all used for golf so no chance of walking around the site.
Generally the hotel is not child friendly and designed for golfers and spa costumers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Keentraveller1976
Steve C, Guest Relations Manager at Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Keentraveller,

Thank you for your recent feedback . i was disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and will ensure that your feedback is passed onto the team and used to make constructive improvements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pott Shrigley
Alderley Edge Hotel
Alderley Edge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Alderley Edge
Travelodge Macclesfield Adlington

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!