“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pott Shrigley
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Visited the hotel with my family and parents. Wonderful experience, food outstanding and great value. Staff couldn't be more welcoming or helpful. Definitely, revisit and would recommend. Hotel rooms very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lindsay S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

On arrival myself and 3 friends were put into rooms on a 'new' wing of the hotel. The rooms were dirty, shabby and not to the standard of those in the main hotel. Staff moved us after complaining to much more acceptable accommodation.

The meal in the restaurant was quite nice but the service was poor. When I asked for tartar sauce I was givena sachet like those in a pub or Mcdonalds, not what I would have expected of a 4 star hotel!
The gym was pleasant but the pool and wet room needs attention as do the changing rooms and showers!

Room Tip: Ask for the main hotel rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jane B

Travelers are raving about these Pott Shrigley hotels

Cleckheaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had a 1 night stay at Shrigley Hall Hotel to celebrate Xmas with 7 other work colleagues and their partners. We had a few scares on the final part of our journey to get there. The Satnav took us down a long, winding narrow country lane on our approach to Pott Shrigley. We breathed a sigh of relief when we arrived in one piece on this dark, foggy early Friday evening.

After following the signs to the car park, above and to the right of the hotel, we headed for the nearest illuminated entrance with our luggage. We struggled to find any signage to the Reception, but fortunately walked in on half a dozen staff laying out tables in one of the function rooms. One member of staff kindly carried my wife’s case as he led the way on a complex route down to Reception. After checking in, the Receptionist handed me the room key cards and then directed my attention to an aerial photograph of the hotel which was on the wall. She pointed to the car park area and started referring to a ramp leading to an entrance at the rear of the hotel. Somewhat puzzled, I said “Yes, that’s where we parked the car”. I was stunned when I suddenly realised she was explaining that we needed to walk all the way around the outside of the hotel to get to our room. The indoor route was clearly too difficult to explain. “It’s really quite easy to find if you walk around to the car park” explained the Receptionist as she pointed to the main door to exit the hotel. After a 10 minute uphill hike dragging our cases on this cold, dark and wet night, my wife and I eventually arrived at our room. Then, after negotiating a lift, multiple left and right turns and some quite steep steps, we arrived at the Courtyard bar for a quick drink. A compass and a pair of climbing boots would have helped as we re-traced our steps back to the room. However, the complexity of the indoor route was far more preferable to walking via the car park in the cold, wet rain. The hotel seriously needs to look at a better way of directing guests to their rooms on arrival. Kicking them out into the cold and wet is poor customer service to put it mildly.

After changing, we joined our colleagues in the bar before moving onto the function room where various different organisations were enjoying the Xmas festivities. No real complaints about the food other than to say the portions could have been a bit more generous. As the night progressed, we moved back to the Courtyard bar. Having paid cash at the bars all night, I was a bit surprised when I was told my final round of drinks would need to be charged to the room. I provided my details and signed the chitty before returning to join my friends. Shortly afterwards, the barman interrupted our discussion and asked if I could go to Reception to discuss the room charge. I obliged and was told I would need to provide a debit or credit card. After advising that I had left my credit card in the room, the Receptionist asked that I go and get it. Not wishing to embark on a mini climbing expedition, I politely declined this request and again offered to pay cash. A 5 minute stand-off then took place before the Receptionist eventually relented and accepted my cash. I have to say that I was appalled that the hotel’s procedures allowed this situation to take place. If cash payments are not accepted at a certain point in the evening, this should have been explained and my credit card details scanned at the point of check-in. The incident that took place was embarrassing to me and my work colleagues and the hotel is marked down due to this aspect of their service.

The room itself was very comfortable and we had a good night’s sleep. The quality of the cooked breakfast was good, but my wife was disappointed that there were no fried eggs available or milk to add to her cup of tea at the time she was making her selection.

Overall, we had a reasonably enjoyable stay but it was marred by the initial welcome when we were asked to go to our room via the car park and, secondly when cash suddenly became a non-acceptable method of payment.

Room Tip: Unless you are into mountaineering and abseiling, try to avoid rooms at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Shrigley Hall Hotel every December for the last 8 years for the annual Christmas party there. The setting is fabulous and the hotel buildings very interesting and historic.The staff are friendly, the facilities very good and the breakfast excellent. Keep it up!

Room Tip: Rooms in the older parts of the hotel much more interesting than the newer annexes.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mig7ab
Cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in November. A good offer £195 for 2 dinner bed and breakfast with 2 spa treatments each

We checked in early and check in was straight forward and the staff were friendly. There was a long walk to the room. I was a bit disappointed because although we had upgraded the room it turned out that a premium upgrade was still a double bed (albeit a 4 poster). The room was cold and dark but warmed up fairly quickly when I turned radiator on.

My husband played golf and I went to the spa. I had to ask for a robe and was told if I was a guest it would have been in my room but it wasn't! I did get one though. The spa treatments were lovely but I was disappointed that a half hour treatment and a 45 minute treatment (I paid extra £41 for) was blended into one 45 minute treatment. Always awkward at a spa to point these things out! Pool areas etc was lovely.

Dinner was absolutely delicious. Could not fault a single thing. The service was amazing. Great atmosphere. Similarly the breakfast was excellent.

Overall the staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are in real need of refreshing and king size beds are a must in hotels. Britain needs to catch up with America in this! Stay marred by a poor night's sleep.

For golfers...hubby tagged along with 3 members who said all of the hotel's offers were ruining the course!

• Stayed November 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great place to stay in the Peak District. Modern rooms are clean, and have everything one might need. Staff are very courteous and professional. The restaurant food is of very high standard. Overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NR GLASGOW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

A group of 8 stayed at this hotel the first weekend of December. The hotel and grounds are stately and were stunning as expected. We all had to find our way to our rooms which was no easy feat! Quite a treak! My room was comfy and cosy. My sister's room however was `musty' but passable ...more 3 star . The food on the party night was poor...cold and dry...very disappointing. Given this is a spa hotel i would have expected a fluffy bathrobe and slippers. So my swimsuit remained in my bag. After a good nights sleep..breakfast was surprisingly very very good with a great choices. The public bathrooms could do with a good scrub to be considered 4x however Overall I would stay again but would not attend the party night.

• Stayed December 2012
#6 of 9 in Buxton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,511 reviews
BEST WESTERN Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
De Vere Cranage Estate

Been to Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!