“Better than expected”

Colorado Station
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Better than expected”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We bought a Groupon for this place. There have been several restaurants in this location and we are hoping this one makes a go of it. I ordered the Hickory Smoked Barbeque Bird which is a half of smoked chicken cooked over a hickory flame, but the waitress did not clearly hear what I had ordered and brought me a half rack of ribs. I went ahead and accepted them. They were dry rubbed with just a touch of barbeque sauce added toward the end which allowed them to get a crust on them when cooked over the hickory flame. They were very meaty and very tasty. I chose to not opt for the salad but instead chose two sides, baked beans and baby sweet potato drizzled with maple syrup. I have no complaints about this meal.

My wife ordered a prime rib sandwich which was sliced prime rib, with a horseradish cheese on it, along with mushrooms and onions. It came medium as ordered and was very tasty indeed. This is saying something as she is not a fan of horseradish, so this cheese could not have been overpowering. She ordered a side of salad, which came very cold and crispy.

What I especially liked was that we arrived before 7:00 PM which is when their Happy Hour ends and we go two beers and two rail drinks for the price of one. Not often can one get a Surly Furious beer in the cities for $5.00,let alone two for $5.00. The bar brandy was acceptable and was not watered down with soda.

Anna was our waitress and there was a mistake with our bill and the use of the Groupon. It seems Anna had taken off a couple of dollars for the mistake on my chicken order and then when the Groupon was applied the computer would not allow full use of the total dollars listed. However, the owner quickly found the problem and we were given full credit of the Groupon.

As I said at the beginning we are hoping to see this restaurant stay around for awhile. The owner has changed chefs already hoping to find ne that will meet his standards. He claims the meat the meat is of the same quality as the St. Paul as he used to be a chef there. We had no complaints and hope to visit again soon.

• Visited April 2014

Lakeville, Minnesota
“good food, rustic atmosphere, very good service”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My wife and I tried Colorado Station as a result of a Groupon offer. We went at 8:30 on a Friday evening, and the restaurant was about half full. In looking over the menu, we saw the typical steak, ribs, and chicken one would expect from this type of establishment. I ordered a chicken and ribs combo platter, and my wife ordered the steak fillet. Both were served with salad and potato, and there was soft bread and warm peanuts for the table. We found the food to be very good and plentiful. The ribs were smoky and tender, and the chicken was juicy and flavorful. The steak was cooked exactly as ordered and nicely seasoned. I was very impressed with the food.

I was also impressed by our server, Jessi. She was very nice and came by frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. She refilled drinks without being asked, which I like. She was great all around.

The atmosphere was what I'd call rustic, with a lot of wood and a country feel. I found the table and seats to be comfortable. There were many TVs around the bar area, which was close to the entrance and pretty busy with a Wolves game going on. Beverages are served in mason jars and the employees wear jeans. It's a casual, comfortable place, but unfortunately they play nothing but country music, which I didn't appreciate. That's their vibe, though, so I guess it makes sense.

I found the prices to be reasonable, with some odd exceptions-- $3 for a coke, $5 for sides (apart from the one that accompanies your meal) like fries or beans, and $10 for a piece of pie. For 10 bucks, the pie had better be something special. I can't say if it is, because I couldn't make myself pull the trigger. Without the extras (aside from 2 cokes), our meal was slightly below $50, which seemed to be about right for what we ordered. Similar meals at Timberlodge or Outback would cost about the same.

I enjoyed our meal and would recommend Colorado Station to anyone in the area. I hope the place succeeds.

• Visited April 2014
Bloomington,
“great food, atmosphere”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Loved the steak, and the warm roasted peanuts "for the win". Prices are set correctly for a steak house. sides were good. Overall a great place and I hope they stick around.

Visited March 2014
Eagan, MN
“S L O W Service”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Hope this new restaurant makes it, but won't with what we experienced. Waited forever for a waitress, who brought water and buns (with butter, but no knives or flatware). Drank our water, waited forever for refills - finally took my glass to the bar for a water refill! We never were given plates for the buns, just a tin pail of peanuts. Finally able to place an order - we could have driven to Burger King and eaten and come back in the time it took the food to come out. Burger and BBQ chicken sandwich were okay, but french fries were very greasy. Opted to avoid the regular ribs and steak menu - overpriced by 30%++

Had to flag down a manager to get our bill brought to the table, and when he brought it, we had to use our own pen to fill out the charge slip (he forgot one). Needless to say the tip was Zero.
Open for 3 weeks or so - I give then 6 months unless management changes things. Trying to be a roadhouse but it take more than peanuts.

• Visited March 2014