“WOW!! I was not sure.. but what a nice place”

LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Burnsville
St.Paul
“WOW!! I was not sure.. but what a nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

My wife and I were lookin for a break, we have been remolding the home :(.. So we needed a night out. I found this hotel online and I was not sure about it (you know, you get what you pay for) so I had called the hotel and the manager had talked it up I thought I would give it a try, nothing to lose but $50 bucks.
WOW!!! what a nice place. As my wife had said what a great room and for the price! The beds were just like the big named hotels, with lots of pillows and what a good night sleep. The lobby was clean (there is no place to just sit and people watch, We enjoy that and some hotels) the halls are a bit dark, but the room was clean and vary nice flat screan TV. The maid even left a card telling us when the room was cleaned (My wife said she has only seen that with one big chain hotel)

We had a great time and will be back!!! thank you to the staff from the front desk person Lea and our maid Heather..

Try this place what a great find!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

I reserved my room 2 days prior. I got in to the hotel at 10:30 PM after the grandstand show at the State Fair, and was informed that the room I reserved was not available, because it was book. I reserved a king room, non smoking, and there were no longer any non-smoking rooms available. Apparently when you reserve a room, you are not guaranteed a certain room. That was what the person at the front desk informed me of when we got there. Also, there was no cleaning personal on duty due to the holiday. We got up to the room and it smelled like smoke, the mirror and toilet was unclean, and we had to ask for new sheets, and replace them ourselves.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debra E
Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

The trip got off to a fairly good start, our room was in a decent location. However things quickly changed. The bathroom was NOT clean - the sink had gunk from toothpaste from the last visitor in the room and the shower had hair in it. Our bed was missing a quilt (ie all that was there was a flat sheet and the cover). The handy TV channel guide in the room was not accurate - we only received about 6 of the 20 or so channels listed. Eventually the TV stopped working. Then, the big one - we called for a wake up call at 7:00 am because we had an 8 hour drive ahead of us. NO WAKE UP CALL! We woke up at 9:00 and frantically got ready. As we checked out we complained and the front desk person said that they did not have an automated wake up system and that she did not get the message to call us. Whaaaa?! Not even a sorry! Didn't try to make amends with us and was not helpful in getting us in contact with the manager. Do NOT stay at this hotel if you like cleanliness and good business practices.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katej715
Washington State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

The price was great. My room even had a skylight! It is fairly bare-bones for the amenities. No cups in the room, no food outside of the machines (no forks or anything to eat the microwave meals from the machines). But the staff was great. You have to go to the front desk to get a hair dryer or iron, but they let you have it for the duration of the stay. Rooms pretty clean and quiet except for the plumbing next door. HD TV in the rooms with HBO. Seems safe. Restaurants near by. I'd stay here again. My usual choice of place to stay is at a Residence Inn or other Marriott. But I'd do this again in a heartbeat. Easy access to 35W.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Blairsville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

Tony is a great guy... he watched out for my wife while I was gone, and was good to talk to. I went out to the parking lot the night before we were leaving to find that our truck and trailer were gone. I asked Tony about it, and he tried to call the manager on the spot, no answer.

Once we did talk to someone who knew something, we found that they had our truck and trailer towed, claiming that they were re-striping the parking lot and had left notes in everyone's door... we received no such note. They also claimed that the vehicles weren't registered with them... upon check-in, we were asked what vehicle we drove, and we told them... pickup, trailer, and truck. Somehow, the pickup was all that was logged into their database. Management showed its true colors when we tried to get them to right this wrong... TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PEOPLE!!! NEVER, EVER stay in Burnsville's LivInn Suites. Especially if you want to keep your car.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Ric32
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I stayed for three weeks--sometimes with my children. The overly sour or optimistic reviews are overstatements. If you want accomodations to mostly sleep and shower during a stay--this might meet your need. I paid $29 a night through Priceline.

I was leery when Priceline accepted bid and I then read reviews of the property. My worst fears were not met--so I was pleased. Property is finished in a way they obviously wanted it to come in as nicer than bottom rung (think Super 8 or Motel 6) properties. Tables and end tables in rooms have marble tops. Lobby and elevators have nice contemporary wood paneled walls, etc.

Room sizes are average. Another reviewer accurately states the entertainment center is huge and makes room feel smaller. The unit includes two closets (one of which has the refrigerator and microwave) and three big drawers. Unit is actually very functional and does not take up unusual floor space--but visually it reduces size of room Both bedside tables also have two nice size drawers. This King room had a round table and two decent sitting chairs.

Front desk service was fine other than first giving me a room that had not bee prepared. Housekeeping system seemed loose--not always being sharp about what rooms needed to be cleaned. Usually if the room was not available to clean on first knock they just went on and did not return.

Complaints: Room telephone had several buttons that did not work. Ventilation system needs altering so smoke smell does not migrate down hallways or through venting system. Hint: If you run AC/Heat unit it apparently exhausts air out of room--and can pull air in through the bathroom venting--which might be smoky. Crack the window open so the room has a source of fresh air and the bathroom venting pulls air out. They have low wattage energy-efficient lighting in hallways which are too dim for me. Hallways that are dark and lack good fresh air are turn-off to me. Room was clean but not spic and span. It gave the impression, "Yes they clean. But do they ever really clean-clean?"

One morning there was a police cruiser in the back and two in the front. I inquired and the explanation from front desk is that the city does a monthly sweep (I believe with dogs) through all hotel properties in City (I presume sniffing for drugs)--and they had never had a problem. It was a plausible explanation.

There is a guest laundry on 3rd floor with four nice commercial washers and dryers ($1.00 per load). There is no pool, no restaurant, and no sitting area in lobby (go elsewhere if that matters to you). There is a TimberLodge Steak House next door which I love--and several other restaurants very close. If you need major shopping, go south on 35W to the next exit.

Location has good interstate access to Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and 35W corridor. If you are visiting with a need to go in and out of the DT Minneapolis area--pay attention to road information for 35W. There is a multi-year major construction project going on often clogging or shutting down freeway in Minneapolis (area near LivINN is fine).

I was there three weeks and never had an issue with noise. But my impression was that it could be an issue if there were loud guests close by. Because there is no pool, etc. guests did not hang around the property having a good time.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
home
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

desk staff was rude, toilet leaked, they couldn't even bother to clean our room. we had to ask for clean towels the next day and they didn't even have any. apparently they're understaffed because the front desk perosn was folding the towels and would get them to us eventually. no cups in the room, the fridge in our room desperately needed some baking soda in it to take out the stench. yuck, yuck, yuck, all around!!!! doors and walls as thin as paper--you can hear everything going on. the lobby looked newly remodeled, but you can dip poop in gold, but it's still poop!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank pineapplelvr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnsville
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Burnsville
#5 of 9 in Burnsville
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 1 in Savage

Been to LivINN Hotel Minneapolis South / Burnsville? Share your experiences!