“It's A MisSteak America”
Review of Steak America - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Steak America
Cuisines: American
Rosemount, Minnesota
“It's A MisSteak America”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had a craving for some really good rotisserie chicken from one of my wife and I's favorite places, Doolittles Woodfire Grill in Eagan. After stopping by and being told there was a 50+ minute wait, we decided to try another spot with the growling in our tummy's saying, "that's too long to wait". On the way to yet another favorite, Porter Creek Hardwood Grill, I decided to make a call and there was a 90 minute wait there. Running out of options, we ended up at a place you may find Men At Work singing some hits at some day.

What could such a place be? Think of entering an establishment that would combine a VFW, old Timber Lodge, Crapplebee's and a Sports Bar. Add a band with members that could be the parents of the boys from Men At Work and you get Steak America and according to their website, "Steak America Is America's Affordable". I'm no genius in the world of grammar, but I think they forgot something... After being sat and trying to hold back our laughter from the cheesy band playing, I had to head to the bathroom. While in this gorgeous bathroom (insert sarcasm), I heard the band stop playing followed by some applause and I couldn't stop laughing.

I headed back out so I could order an adult beverage to help with this decision to stop by over waiting at some outstanding restaurants and praying the food was good. My wife went with a Ribeye while I decided on the Sirloin. My wife decided to take the au gratin's as her side while I went with the baked potato. We also got a side salad with our meal and instead of two individual salad plates delivered, we received an Olive Garden bowl of salad. This sparked that chatter about my description of the place and I was getting confused fast!

A good chunk of the interior had the likes of the wood panels found in Timber Lodges, but the brick used for a portion of the remodel was more modern and trendy. The drop down ceiling throughout was old and dingy while the ceiling above the bar was something you'd find at a trendy bar downtown. The furniture was like that of an old supper club with the family atmosphere of a Crapplebee's. Finally, the menu was straight out of a sports bar, but I was thinking it should have had a cover like a book instead. Like I said, I was getting confused...

Our steaks came out and were served to us by the bartender, not a runner, the same bartender who took our order as well. If you want to be a restaurant, hire another server, the bar tender should remain behind the bar with the guests at the bar. After digging into the steaks, my wife and I looked at each other with looks of, "Meh, it's a steak!" While it wasn't the worst thing we've ever had, I easily could have done a more superior job staying home. They were lacking flavor and I've said this time and time again... salt and pepper go a long way if you're not going to use other seasonings. I devoured my baked potato, lets face it, you can't really screw that up, however my wife took a couple bites of her gratin's and pushed them aside. I had to try these things, they couldn't be that bad, could they? Again, not terrible, but bland and boring. We also received a veggie medley that wasn't all that bad actually.

After the laughter has died away and we were done eating the GM stopped by to clear our table and made a major no no. She decided to grab our glasses and just reach between patrons at the bar to place on the bar top and returned to grab our plates. time and time again, my wife and I our experiencing no no's like this and it's just something that shouldn't be done. Simple and stupid? Maybe, but if i owned a restaurant, I would expect professionalism at all times.

So.... The questions is, would I recommend Steak America and would we return? Probably not, but it's up to you if you want "America's Affordable"!

• Visited November 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A mistake not made twice.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have driven past a few times and decided to make a family dinner nite out of the event. The dinners are home style family dinner service, which is a nice twist to have once in a while. our wires took 15 minutes to show up just to take or drink order and then we did not see her for another 20 when she finally brought our drinks. They were featuring a new medallion meal in the menu which was not available to order yet. We ordered an appetizer that never appeared and might have been charged if I did not request it be taken off the bill. My son ordered the pan fry walley which came back well cooked and tasty. My girlfriend ordered a battered walley that came back short of being black, saturated in fryer grease, and between the breading and grease there was no walley flavor. Not getting the tuna medallions, I ordered a New York steak medium rare that came well done. Non if the food was brought by our sever that we had only seen twice. I waited for our sever before eating to correct or order, and found my self waiting 20 minutes. My family decided to go ahead and eat their meals at $20 a walley plate. Finally she arrived and I told her of my concern about our order she promptly sent the manager who offered to remake my steak, when told of my appetizer that never arrived he said sorry, he did not offer to send it out or take it off the bill or even a 10% reduction off the bill. My second steak came back perfectly cooked well seasoned and most probably the best steak I have had in a few years, and this was also not brought by the waitress. All the side portions were small and kfc style. The salad came in a family bowl and despite being brown the homemade dressing was refreshing. After almost an hour the waitress came for the check and we did not see her again. As for the decor, it was decent. The blind were not drawn properly and many guest attempted to close the shades with little luck until finally, no not an employee, a woman was able to fix the blinds so the bright sun light would stop blinding the guests. The restaurant was not near busy enough for the lack of service from edit staff, and poor performance from the cooks and expoditer. It can be easily assumed if you do not assert your self you will most likely have a poor time dining at this restaurant.

Personally I will never return or recommend this establishment to friends or family.

shnuegums@gmail.com

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank shnuegums
Minnesota
“WATCH YOUR BILL!!!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Finally decided to try Steak America. I ordered the 8oz sirloin and broiled shrimp with spicy garlic sauce with mashed potatoes and chop salad. My steak was decent but cold. Nice seasoning to it. The mashed potatoes were real good. Spicy garlic sauce on the shrimp was not spicy at all. Chop salad I had no idea that there was going to be a TON of tiny chopped up green and red peppers buried under the lettuce and dressing. That stopped me in my tracks and it was too hard to pick them out so I didn't finish that. Also ordered by our party was the Ribeye and a burger and wings. Was told the ribeye was okay, burger was not but the wings were really good except the sauce came on the side.
When the bill came, we were like WTF!!!! Instead of charging me for what I actually had for 19.99, I was charged for a filet mignon for 26.00 (which is higher than their price on the website) We were there during happy hour and our appetizer price did not reflect that either.
Decor was sooooo plain it was boring.
Our servers were actually really great. When we questioned the bill she got real flustered but took care of it all.
Would I go back again? No unless I could get the same meal for a lunch special for half the price. I'm much happier going to Outback Steakhouse.
And what I thought was wierd, is that their chairs for the tables are on wheels. Could make dinner interesting and fun if you wanted :-)

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank 4ThatLuv2Travel
Burnsville, Minnesota
“A birthday dinner at Steak America”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband loves steak so we decided to try the new Steak America near our house in Burnsville for his birthday. A good number of restaurants have tried and failed at this location, so we wanted to see how they had changed the decor. The decor was unimpressive though. We brought our teen aged boys along also. We all had steak with a type of potatoes for a side. The food was OK and seemed pricey for what we got. Service was fine. No salad bar though. For the price, we could get as good or better food in a more enjoyable atmosphere. There are many other places to go around here, so I doubt we will return.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank KPichelman
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Don't bother!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Service was not good at all. The waitress took forever just to bring us our drinks. Wasn't that busy!

When the food came my wife's order was wrong and both meals were cold. The steak was tasteless and the potatoes were cold.

To top it off we were overcharge for our meals.

3 Thank Corey P