“Great stuff!!!”

Cuisines: African
Corvallis
“Great stuff!!!”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The wife andI had lunch here,shared the platter for two: fantastic and more than enough food for 3 or 4,goat, chickeh, beef, vegis and rice along with a wonderful broth and mango juice. The food was not as spicy as other African food we have tried, but there was a hot sauce served on the side,we told the owner we liked it hot and he brought was more sauce and told us " in Africa it is said that hot food is like medicine, makes you better" I will have to agree. A great find in minnesota.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank fillzee

Minneapolis Mn
“Something out of the Ordinary”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This place is definitely worth a visit. Prices are very reasonable, with each lunch item priced at $10, which includes soup and rice or a salad. This was my first time there, so it was point-at-the-menu-and-guess time. First came a bowl of broth soup, served with a banana "to cool the mouth." (I'm skeptical of the reviewer who said the food wasn't spicy. Apparently he didn't try the soup. It is beyond what most Minnesotans will tolerate.)
Next came a goat meat stew that came on a huge platter.The plate was covered by a sponge-like pancake, and some colorful cooked onions graced one end of the platter. On the other end, mostly under the pancake was a fresh, crispy lettuce salad with mild dressing. I loved the spices, but I couldn't begin to eat it all. My dining companion had the beef curry, which consisted of cubes of beef with a bit of bone still attached. I think it is made to be eaten with the fingers. It was a bit chewy. That dish came with delicately flavored rice.
We ordered mango juice, and we were brought a large pitcher of it to share. It was absolutely delicious.
Contrary to another of the reviews, there is table service. The server was polite and helpful, but I did have a little trouble understanding him. I see that as my problem, but be prepared to use your best listening skills.
This is not fine dining, this is an informal neighborhood café. The tables were not wiped between customers, which nobody seemed to mind.
Note that the #1 ranking on TripAdvisor seems to be partially the result of a lot of first-time reviewers.
I look forward to another visit.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank JandJ67
Prior Lake, Minnesota
“Delicious meal”
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

My first experience with the cuisine. The staff was great, made recommendations. What a great find. Will go back to try other dishes.

Visited April 2014
“A treasure hidden in a strip mall”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Easy to find; small and clean. Very friendly staff. Order at the counter and then sit or have it to go. Grab your soft drink or water from the fridge at the counter.

I had the soup and Kay Kay.

Soup was so tasty and rich. Veggie and onion flavors with spices. See photo. Recommended.

Kay Kay is a one of a kind dish that is only made here: chicken with peppers, onions, and strips of tortilla simmered in some wonderful flavors. Served with a little cup of spicy goodness. Banana on he side. See photo. Recommended.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must Try!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I ordered the Beef Sukar with Injera. First they delivered the tea which was hands down the best tea I've ever had. Then, the vegetable soup which is more of a broth, and filled with a million flavors and delectable. Then the Beef Curry which was enough food for two people, and was just like a dish I had while visiting Kenya. The taste was not only amazing but brought back a special memory of my trip. And the people who work there? Are SO kind and enthusiastic about what they are serving. I will definitely stop back every time I am in Burnsville if only for more of their amazing tea!

• Visited March 2014