“Wonderful Staff but that's it.”
Review of Old Bahama Bay

Old Bahama Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West End
Reviewed February 17, 2006

After years of spending several weeks at the Westin Our Lucaya, we decided to spend 4 days at Old Bahama Bay, prior to going to the Westin.
The rooms are beautiful, as are the views. The staff is wonderful, thank you Eunice, Colby and Lefty!
But...the food leaves much to desire.
Every meal was over cooked and bland. The grouper was not poached, it was steamed and dry. The lobster was horrible, dry and bland. The only meal that I enjoyed was the one that Lefty prepared at our table. So, not sure who the chef is, but they need to find a new one when the waitstaff prepares better meals at your table then what comes out of the kitchen.
Housekeeping was a bit off too. After showering I walked through the room and by the time I had gotten back to the bathroom, my feet were black...ick. Scrub those floors, please.
The first day there, we had no electric until 11pm and the last day, we had no water pressure to shower with.
We won't go back, even though it was very relaxing, not worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank Katalah

Reviewed February 2, 2006

We just got back from Old Bahama Bay where we had our wedding and honeymoon. We went to Old Bahama Bay with 18 family members and everyone is still talking about the wonderful time that they had and what a great location it was.
I do not know if I can put into words how wonderful the staff at Old Bahama Bay is. We were treated like royality the entire time that we were there. It truly was the staff that made our trip the best wedding ever!!! The resort was beautiful, but when we go back, I look forward to seeing the staff that made our trip great.
From the front desk staff to the staff that was working in every aspect of the resort, I can not say anything but kind words about of them. They greeted us every time with a hello and a smile, no matter what we were asking for.
Keith Cooper was excellent with offering advice and suggestions from the very beginning.
Erica Heild was an excellent wedding coordinator with nothing but a friendly word and support every step of the way.
Kenneth Cristie was there the entire weekend, giving a hand when and where ever he could, even on his off time.
Mary at the straw bar makes an excellent drink. You can not have just one or even two.
The no-see-ums where a little annoying, but not anything that you could not live with. 3M makes an excellent bug repellant that kept them at bay.
The pictures on the website are exactly what the resort looks like. It is that clean and pristine.
The food was wonderful the entire time.
The resort is a great place to relax and unwind. A cold front came through the 2nd day we were there and lasted until the morning we left, but that still did not change our mind about our stay on the West End. We enjoyed being away from the crowds and riding bikes into the village getting to know the locals, from Iean's for a fish fry to getting pastries at the bakery, the West End is the way to go.

We will definately return!!!!

Thank you Old Bahama Bay.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank grnegz
Reviewed September 1, 2005

If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet vacation in beautiful and elegant surroundings Old Bahama Bay is an ideal place.

The pictures on the OBB website give an accurate depiction of the place. If you want to stay in a rabbit warren of people and activity, by all means stay at Lucaya. OBB is a friendly, quiet place to relax. This resort is a real garden spot: beautiful beach, a really nice pool, and a comfortable but elegant atmosphere.

The rooms were very well furnshed, and very well maintained. The linens, though not frette, were still very nice.

The beach is beautiful. Because the water offshore is shallow, the waves are small, but the water is clear, and the beach has nice coral sand. OBB seems ideal for young children, and despite attracting a significant number of families, it still maintains an air of calm.

Because it is not paved over, the resort does have bugs-- about the same as your local nature park stateside, if you went there in the summer. Take lots of a new bug repellant, like Cutter Advanced, and reapply frequently.

The one drawback was the quality of the food: it was only fair, and the selection was rather limited. As a whole, we found that Grand Bahama did not have the quality of food that is found on other Carribbean islands.

On the other hand, the staff at the resort were extremely friendly, probably the most friendly we've encountered in trips all over the Carrbbean. Glitches in service do occur, but they are quickly remedied, and can be attributed to the laid back culture of the Bahamas, and perhaps an unwillingness of the OBB management to bleed the sort of red ink that consistently providing such service costs.

16  Thank RestiveRelaxation
Reviewed August 8, 2005

We've just returned from 3 nights at Old Bahama Bay. It was everything we imagined and more. From the extremely friendly staff, to the well-appointed rooms, to the off shore snorkeling, we were pleased with our experience.

Yes, we got a few bug bites. We also saw a 6 foot spotted manta ray 20 yards off the beach, tried some local dishes (guava duff- yum), and relaxed to our heart's content.

We purchased a package including food, which was a wise idea. The resort is somewhat isolated, and food prices at the three restaurants were high. Stop at the Winn-Dixie on the way out to the resort for snacks and sodas for your in room refrigerator. Both Enid and Tanya gave good massages. Ask at the Straw Bar for a ride to the off-shore snokeling locations. It was also fun to walk around the marina to see the montrous yachts moored there.

On the way back to the airport, stop at the small hut for "chicken in a bag." It was a great way to end our trip.

19  Thank eddiesmom
Reviewed August 4, 2005

I would love to write a possitive review of Old Bahama Bay because it was beautiful, just like the pictures. And the people were very nice. But three of the five in our party are now covered with sand flea bites. I counted over 50 bites on just one of my legs. One of the young ladies in our group was covered with bites and miserable the entire trip. It is difficult to enjoy even a very nice place when you can't go outside for fear of the bugs, and this is the problem with Old Bahama Bay. The trip got off to a bad start when we arrived at the condo and found no pots or pans to cook. The two-bedroom unit had three glasses and three forks! When I asked for some kitchen stuff so we could make breakfast and lunch in our unit, we were told that they did not provide these things. When I asked why they had kitchens if you could not use them, I was told that "That's a good question." I went back to my unit and about 30 minutes later we were provided with a pot, pan, a few more glasses, forks and spoons. We did eat dinner at the Grill and it was OK. The snorkeling was very good. Previous reviewers on this site have called the bugs "no-see-ums." In fact, they are sand fleas. They live in the sand and grass, and jump on your legs as soon as you walk in the grass or on the beach. The flies were a problem, too, and boy did they bite! We were very sad that this beautiful place could not be enjoyed, especially considering the money we paid for a two bedroom condo. There are just too many other nice places to go without having to put up with the bugs at Old Bahama Bay.

16  Thank Tom4850
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 25, 2005

My husband and I just returned from 5 nights at Old Bahama Bay. We purchased our package through Luxury Link.com. We were looking for a laid-back but refined vacation spot, with easy access from the East Coast. OBB is all that. In fact, many aspects of the resort qualify for an above average rating. However, for me, several critical issues prevent me from giving a rating that high.

Rooms: Our room was in the Jasmine building. Our room had an excellent view of the ocean from our balcony. The room was well-furnished, if a little worn at the edges. The resort touts its Frette linens but this is a half-truth. The towels are Frette. The bed linens are Dan River and of inferior quality. The flat and fitted sheets on our bed each night were pilled and rough (I'm guessing < 150 threadcount) - the last thing you want on skin that's been in the sun and sand all day. While I'm no princess, I expect a modicum of luxury for nearly $400 a night and at the VERY least, sheets as good as the ones I sleep on at home!

Beaches: The beaches were nearly deserted during our stay. I would estimate that the resort was operating at 25% capacity. This gave the reort a very private and isolated vibe - like it was our own island getaway. We enjoyed the water and the snorkeling...so much so that we never even ventured into the pool. A word about the BUGS. My husband was the entree du jour for several horse flies during our stay. The flies would light onto the back of his neck or on his arms and chomp down. He had many swollen red welts as a result. As for the OFF and Skin So Soft - these critters pay no heed. Noseeums were typical for the time of year...annoying but seemed to relent when we sprayed the OFF consistently.

Property/Grounds: From the lush landscaping, you would never know that the property was decimated by the 2004 hurricane season. The grounds were of superior quality. BTW - the property actually looks EXACTLY like the photos on the Old Bahama Bay website.

Service: Service was polite but reserved. Aqua had the most friendly waitstaff. The Straw Bar had the worst service of the three venues. The bartenders fulfilled their duties - insomuch as they made drinks - but they did not go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Food: Food was average to above average in quality and only average in selection. The menus for the Dockside Grille, Straw Bar and Room Service are one and the same. Aqua has a different menu but few selections (and during our stay 6 of the menu items were "unavailable") In my opinion, the resort would benefit from the addition of some fresh catch selections and a differentiated menu for the other restautants. I mean - I LOVE grouper and conch but when you have the same grouper sandwich and conch burger for five days straight.... I think the food options would be plenty if you were staying only three nights or were docked at the marina. After five days, we were ready to go home.

Activities: Again, not a place for nightlife. If you want to get away from it all, this is the place. Very relaxing . You can do nothing - read, sun on the beach, snorkel, use the Hobie or kayaks, swim.

Some other random thoughts:
We rented a car (or was it a pimp-mobile?) for $80 and drove to Port Lucaya Marketplace. Had lunch at Pusser's and drank two Pusser's Painkillers (version #3). Whoa. Those things will knock you back! The fish and chips is grouper and is excellent. The barbecued half chicken was splatter-your-shirt tasty. The marketplace is highly overrated. I found no souvenirs there - in fact, I ended up buying Bahamian Rum and trinkets at the airport. Prices for tee shirts at Freeport International were half the price of the $30 I paid for a child size 6 tee.

So the question is - would we go back? My husband says yes. I say no - not in the near future, anyways. There are just too many other great places in the world that I haven't seen yet.

Hope this info was helpful! Cheers!

• Stayed: July 2005
30  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 4, 2005

Old Bahama Bay is a 40 minute drive from the airport and Lacaya. The drive from the airport evidences poverty and damage to properties because of the hurricanes. The resort would be well advised to offer water transportation - as the drive to me was very depressing.

Upon arriving at Old Bahama Bay - I was encouraged. The resort is pretty, well maintained - the marina full of lovely boats and the 2 bedroom suite was well appointed. Our kitchen had a microwave, cooktop, fridge, coffee maker and toaster. However, no pots and pans or can openers with which to cook. The Master bedroom and bath were beautiful - two porches - one overlooking the beach and water and another overlooking the marina. The room was on a par with Four Seasons - absolutely wonderful.

Service - repeatedly needed to request coffee and the like to be restocked. Repeatedly, there were insufficient towels and face clothes - it was we'll get them to you by 7PM.

There are three restaurants. The beachfront restaurant and dockside restaurant are both good. I feel the menu dockside could be improved upon with a fresh catch of the day - I ate blackened grouper 4 out of eight nights. Aqua was just flat out awful. We gave it two tries - both were dismal - lobster was over cooked (badly) both times and steak appeared to have been microwaved both times.

Activities were good - volleyball on the beach, sailing, snorkeling - BUT with six in our family - three out of six had to be treated for reactions to bug bites - I have never seen anthing like it. The no see ems and horse flies were extreme and sadly resulted in 2 of the six requiring a cream that could only be supplied by pharmacy and 40 minute drive. The resort did not stock it - and with the bug problem - there is not one ounce of exaggeration - it is a problem - we have traveled the world - and the black flies in spring in northern Ontario have nothing on these no see ems.

I wouldn't return - there are too many other options out there that offer better menu selections and fine dining - Service is just plain lacking - no service on the beach - no snacks ...once knee high - you best love sea grass and the bugs just flat out ruined the early mornings and late afternoons and evenings.

Stayed: June 2005
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
Pelican Bay at Lucaya
#3 of 14 in Freeport
Lighthouse Pointe at Grand Lucayan Resort - All Inclusive

Been to Old Bahama Bay? Share your experiences!