“Excellent Value”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brooklyn Park
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Was visiting the Maple Grove area in this NW suburb of Minneapolis and stayed here for two nights in May. This was my fourth hotel in two weeks and was the least expensive. However, it was the one I liked the best. The staff was very nice and quickly took care of my change in plans when I had to shorten my stay. The room was good sized, clean and comfortable. There was free wi-fi that worked just fine. The breakfast was nice with plenty of seating area. Although they did let it get low on food the first morning I was there. The very best part was the low price of $57.60 (before taxes)! Now that is a real deal and is a big help in putting it into the "excellent" category in my book. The location may not be the best if you want to be within walking distance of restaurants and retail stores. For that you will want to go a little more than a mile west on rte. 694 (exit 28, Hemlock Lane) to Maple Grove. MG has a very nice and very large shopping area with more restaurants and retail stores than you can count.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The La Quinta is conveniently-located off the interstate yet we really didn't hear any interstate noise. The lobby and breakfast area are modern and clean. Breakfast included hard-boiled eggs; "scrambled egg" patties, biscuits and gravy in the heating pan; make-your-own waffles; and the usual doughnuts and cereals and toast, etc. There seemed to be plenty available.

Our king room had a refrigerator and microwave. While the rug looked a bit used and I spread a towel over the armchair before allowing anybody to sit in it (it just looked grungy, possibly a natural look for the tweedy-polyester upholstery), the heating and cooling worked well and the room was well-lit. The bed was a bit odd -- it almost felt like the mattress was made of coils of some sort. It was pretty firm. Lots of pillows.

We traveled with two 50-lb dogs and found room access to be convenient. There was a designated "exercise" area with bag dispenser; unfortunately, it was obvious from the area around the doors and even around the (well-stocked) bag dispenser that people weren't bothering with bags. BAD DOG OWNERS! SHAME! The area was very sandy and there were sand burrs, so check feet carefully after walking. There is other grassy area around the property to walk, although (as is usual in Minnesota) there is plenty of water nearby and so geese -- and goose droppings -- are plentiful.

It's hard to give a fair review of our stay, though, simply because of the noise. At least one children's baseball or softball teams -- I'd guess 5-6th grade or so -- were staying at the hotel and they pounded up and down the hallway, both on the first floor where we were and the 2nd floor, which was also very audible, as well as the stairway (several rooms away from us!), until 1:30 in the morning. Then there were doors slamming and loud hallway conversation at 3:30. The dogs were amazingly good, but I think if you wake any dog out of a sound sleep by slamming doors around, you're going to get a bark or two. The dogs, however, were able to go right back to sleep, while I wasn't so fortunate.

Supposedly, the pool area closes at 10:00 -- I'm not sure why these kids were still up and running around so late. I expect this is one of the hazards of an affordable motel like this one, but I would definitely pay more to stay on a wing that was off-limits to kids. A "quiet" policy might also be a good idea.

Room Tip: Ask for somewhere away from the kids!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I hadn't stayed at a L.Q. hotel for several years and was pleasantly surprised. After all, finding a place to stay where *everything* is just right for your needs, doesn't happen so very often.

LOCATION: situated in an office park area, which means it is really quiet and relaxing; yet easy on/off I-94. Definitely a better choice than the somewhat chaotic hotel area in nearby Brooklyn Center. No restaurants close-by, but within an easy drive just up Boone Rd and a right turn on Brooklyn Ave. In a few minutes you can get to a shopping center with a Cub Foods supermarket, a Target store with an extensive food section, several restaurants, or to a Super-Walmart. In less than five minutes on I-94 you get to the shopping areas of Maple Grove, where you will find a branch of virtually every nationally known chain store of any category, be it apparel, books, shoes, electronics..And more restaurants you could visit in a lifetime.

ROOMS: very comfortable, good mattress. Two cabinets, one for your clothes, another one with the refrigerator (has a freezer compartment) and the microwave inside. The purpose of this is presumably to create a nice living-room atmosphere rather than just a hotel room - although I personally prefer to ventilate the clothes I have worn all day on open racks rather than stifling them in a wardrobe. Likewise, the microwave being hidden inside the cabinet makes it somewhat difficult to read the various settings for lack of light. But both micro and fridge worked fine.

BATH: There is no bath tub, but a nice shower with a semicircular extension to the customary square cell, so this gives you plenty of space.

A/C: reasonable noise level. The rooms seem to be well insulated, as I didn't have to turn the A/C- heat on at all, even with only 32°F and snow outside ( yes, in May...)

BREAKFAST: finally a breakfast area with enough space and tables adequate to the number of guests - no need to fight for a seat. Good choice, TWO wafflemakers helped to avoid long lines; hot biscuits and gravy, eggs, cereals etc. Nice choice.

STAFF: friendly; would wave to me when I walked in or out

ACCESS: adequate parking space. A roof covered area in front of the lobby, so you can unload your bags sheltered rather than lugging them from your parking space through the rain. Likewise helpful: entrance doors open automatically.

TV: large flatscreen TV with lots of channels; having a list of them on a card in the room would have been useful, though.

OTHER EXTRAS: free daily regional newspaper; free highspeed Wifi internet access, worked just fine. Free coffee any time of day.

ROOM RATE: much lower than comparable accommodation in the area. Great value for your money.

If I come again to the MSP area, I needn't look any further: the La Quinta Brooklyn Park will be my first choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This La Quinta appears a bit older, and doesn't seem to have been remodeled, but that being said, it was still a good value for the money I paid. The pool room was a bit dark and seemed old, and I was a bit surprised that there was only a shower, and not a full bath tub in the room, but neither of these things were deal-breakers, and the free wifi and breakfast were great. =)

I used to stay at Motel 6s until I had an incident at one, so I guess I'm now in love with La Quinta after my latest trip. Motel 6 doesn't even offer an alarm clock in their rooms, and you have to pay for internet access.. there's no breakfast provided either! La Quinta, on the other hand, offers all of those things, which is super!

Our room appeared to be clean, as evidenced by the fact that my dogs weren't trying to eat crumbs or fuzzies off the floor.

The fact that they allow my dogs is super, as my dogs are a part of the family, and regularly go on our trips with us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here the night before leaving on our trip to Florida! Let me say this, the only decent thing was the breakfast in the morning was okay. The girl that checked us in was flat out rude (yes she hates her job) The pool is small and run down. Now onto our room. Very small, the beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. Even my 8yr old said that. No matter what I did I could not get the temp comfortable right, it was either freezing our it was too hot. It was so dirty! Not just our room, but the whole hotel. Do they even have housekeeping, I wonder. Our socks were black from just being in our room for a short time! After we spent about 30 min in the pool (yuck btw) we go up to our room and there is NO water. So I call the front desk and the girl chuckles and says, "we had a pipe burst, so there will be no water for a few hours" Okay.... but we have a really early flight to catch in the morning what are we suppose to do? She didn't say we are sorry or anything. I go to my parents house to shower and in the parking lot there was a couple having sex! This was at 7:30pm! I call the front desk and the girl starts laughing. Please don't waste your money! I wouldn't stay here ever again even if they gave me a night free.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jessica B
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our stay on 4/27/2013 was great, we were very impressed with everything will stay next time we are in town.
we got in early to check in and we were taking care of in 30 minutes, everyone was great.
the room and breakfast was great and the area was nice and clean THANK AGAIN

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Some things are unsettling about LaQuinta hotels: They do not guarantee a non-smoking room. This partcular LQ is all nonsmoking so I decided to try it out. Driving into the parking lot you can see a parked banged up minivan, with a missing taillight. This van has obviously not moved in a while.

In the back parking lot are more banged up cars. So Ok, this hotel is not upscale. But little touches that make people feel safe are not taken care of. The positive, the room was nice. Wi-Fi and breakfast included in the rate. Plus there was no additional charge to have a dog in the room.

Great Value. Hotel was safe and quiet. But for quality look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
#5 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
Norwood Inn Minneapolis Brooklyn Center
Norwood Inn Minneapolis Brooklyn...
#4 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
Asteria Inn & Suites
Asteria Inn & Suites
#7 of 8 in Maple Grove

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest? Share your experiences!