“Nice clean hotel but location not ideal.”

Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Brooklyn Center
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites for a six night stay in June. The hotel was clean and the rooms comfortable, nothing fancy, very standard. We came into town to explore the Minneapolis area and thought that this hotel would be in a good location to all the things we wanted to do, but in the end we found it to be in a location that was not ideal. The area around the hotel was run down and questionable, nothing to walk to, a few chain restaurants, and shopping quite a distance away. We were constantly going into the St. Paul/Minneapolis city area which was 20min - 45min from the hotel depending on traffic.

The breakfast area was not very large and many times there was no where to sit. The food was your basic options that they changed up every day. There is a restaurant/bar next door that offers 10% off for the hotel guests but we did not dine there.

Although the hotel and staff were nice, we ended up driving too much and too far to explore the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Got in late and the night clerk at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The room was nothing really special but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. I was able to use the wi-fi on my laptop without any issues. Did not use the TV. The breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012

First impressions - slight musty smell when entering the room, early '90s style decor in okay shape, 27" tube TV, a few stains on the carpet, leaky tub faucet, signs of past water damage to the ceiling in the room and bathroom, and a badly cracked bathroom sink. For the level of property, nothing that couldn't be overlooked. So why two stars? Hair.

After removing the old comforter and upon turning down the top blanket, I noticed some hairs. Not one or two, but several. I started really looking and the whole blanket had random hair all over it, including the kind not from a head that absolutely nobody wants on their bed. Disgusting. My assumption was that it hadn't been laundered in some time. The sheets appeared okay (I could see another long hair underneath on the mattress pad) but it makes you wonder.

I went to the front desk to get another blanket; the clerk had to go to an upstairs floor to get one. The new blanket looked clean when he gave it to me and he made a note of it for the next day. Upon getting back to the room and opening the new blanket, it had several hairs as well, just not as many - so I don't know if the blankets aren't washed often enough or if guest hair sticks to them during washing. I gave up and just used the sheet. Housekeeping made up the bed the next day with what looked like a much cleaner blanket. One of the other blankets was nicely folded and set at the foot the bed, but with visible long, dark hair on top.

The best thing about the room was fantastic water pressure for showering and no shortage of hot water. Other good points had minor caveats. Wifi is free, but not high speed. Breakfast is included, but hot foods may not be available if you go within half an hour or so of breakfast end time. There is a waffle iron, though. TV offered a good selection of channels, but weirdly, several had no or partial audio.

Visiting another room, that room had a newer flatscreen TV and an undamaged sink and ceiling. The room had a stronger musty smell, however, and yes - a few hairs that were not the occupants' on the blanket. You can be the judge whether this would bother you or not. Given a choice, I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Bring your own blanket.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank enabler
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I rented three rooms for my family for one night. The furnishings were plain and simple but I wasn't expecting anything more. My room was clean, my daughter's room was OK but there was a bunch of hair in the tub and my son said his room smelled funny. He stayed in room 202 which another reviewer described as "FUNKY SMELLING". Must be that room because my room and my daughter's room were fine. Clerks at front desk could have shown some enthusiasm for their job and been friendlier. I went to breakfast and thought it was fine but the bananas should have been used for banana bread. I used the exercise room. The equipment was so close together it was hard to get to the piece I wanted to use. Glad my daughter and I were the only ones using it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Well, I expected "comfort" since the name promised that but it wasn't all comfortable at all. The room size was okay-- not going to gripe about that, especially for the price-- and for what I saw, it was relatively clean. The room had a regular TV with a lot of cable channels that usually don't show up on other hotel rooms. Our room was at the second floor and it seemed to me that the walls and the floors were made of paper. The people above us sounded like they were doing cartwheels (which for sure with these room sizes, you couldn't do), and the floor creaked every time they moved. At one point in the night, I was woken up by laughter from the people passing by the door.

There was a whirlpool downstairs that we used. It was okay, albeit the smell of chlorine was so harsh, my friend and I had coughing fits. We did not bother to have breakfast, although coming down the next morning, I was surprised to find a nice-looking, dedicated breakfast area. All in all, our stay could've been more comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hurricane_kt1
Reviewed December 2, 2011

The room here was clean and decent, no frills, coffee maker in the room, continental breakfast in the morning really didn't have much. They did have the big waffles, cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, bread, pastries, not much fruit. Get a reservation, if you go last minute it's about $75. Not really worth that. Close to the freeway, Denny's in walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I came in to this place expecting more, I've always had good experiences with the comfort inn chain. I stayed in room 202 on the second floor. To start off, the room I got was very funky smelling. Stunk really bad, but didn't seem to be unbearable as I was extremely tired and just wanted to relax and get a bit of sleep. Well I went out of my room to the car once, to discover when I came back my key did not work and would not let me into the room. This agravated me a bit but I went to the staff waited a few minutes and they reset the code, my friend soon had this same issue a few minutes later. So he had to go downstairs to have the code reset. This is all within a 15 minute timeframe by the way. So he had it reset once more finally got back into the room. So then we went into the spa room for about ten minutes, this was not to bad. After this we finally went back to bed. I laid down in my bed to notice a very gross smell coming from underneath it. Smelt strongly of vomit, but I can't mask the smell out completely. So I rolled over to avoid the smell as I was to exhausted to make my way to the front counter once more. I woke up early the next morning made my way to the breakfast room, the breakfast was not to bad, but was missing items such as a microwave and a few other essentials but I can't honestly say that what was there wasn't satisfactory because it was. When I finished breakfast I went back up to my room to find to my dismay that I was locked out once more. I went back down to the front counter as I did not want to wake my friend up, (it was 645AM) This took 20 minutes for them to reset the code and change the batteries in the lock. I got back in the room laid back in the bed to sleep, the sheets were all dismayed, not blaming housekeeping for this one but they weren't fitted quite right then fell back asleep for a while longer when I woke back up my roommate then pointed this stain out that was on his sheets. I've seen many stains in my life an the closest thing I know to describe for this stain is Feces. It sunk through the sheets onto the bottom base sheet, I then went with him to the front counter brought the sheet with, and showed it to Rochelle Swanson, her tag claimed she was the general manager. She was very unhelpful and rude, she sent a housekeeping lady up, and we pointed it out to this women, she apologized and was very courteous of our inconvience. I then went down to rochelle and demanded a refund for this room, she denied this after all of out heartache and inconvience, she claimed that all I wanted was a free room, she said all she could do was give a 20 dollar discount. I sat thre arguing with her for 20 minutes, she would not budge, and said ''we are a 2 star hotel'' like a person checking into a 2 star hotel should expect feces stains on there bed sheets, to get locked out of there room, and have to smell vomit while they are trying to sleep. I then walked away went up to the room to get our stuff only to find out that of course I am locked out once more. Eventually got back into the room, got my stuff and left with my friend. NEVER NEVER NEVER come to this hotel. It was a terrible experience and I feel sorry for anyone that has to work for or with Rochelle, she was about as horrible of a manager as I've ever seen. I will be calling corporate shortly after this review to hopefully get a full refund, If this is the standard for hotels people are better off sleeping in there vehicles. Motel 6 is way better than this place. Thanks for anyone that has read this and I hope you strongly reconsider checking in to this slum.

Room Tip: Check your hotel room before choosing a hotel. If the staff is rude don't stay at the place beca...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank bradleyp138
GM_brooklyncenterci, General Manager at Quality Inn Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

I would like to thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your negative experience at the hotel. We value every guest that comes in our doors and will use your feedback to make imporovements to our hotel.I assure you that these issues have been addressed! We strongly feel that any issue is taken care of to our guest satisfaction since you are the reason that we are here. We hope that with our continued efforts to improve every stay for our guests that you will give the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Center another try if you find yourself in the Minneapolis area again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn Center
Best Western Plus Minneapolis-Northwest
Norwood Inn Minneapolis Brooklyn Center
Norwood Inn Minneapolis Brooklyn...
#4 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis North
LivINN Hotel Minneapolis North / Fridley
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest

Been to Quality Inn Brooklyn Center? Share your experiences!