“Love the hotel, hate the neighborhood”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Brooklyn Center
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I generally would give this hotel a five star rating but that has changed since our last stay about one week ago. We have always had nothing but good experiences at this hotel. The whole staff has always been good to us, the location is perfect as it is only 15 minutes from the University, the rooms are clean and the breakfast is good. My issue is with the restaurant/bar next door to the hotel. It is attracting really nasty people and making the area unsafe.

We have been coming to this hotel for over a year and every time we came, we went to the restaurant/bar next door for dinner. It always seemed to be a nice place with normal people until this trip. The management must have changed and I think they made it a nightclub on the weekends because this was the worst weekend we have had.

We have always had a problem finding parking in front of the hotel because the patrons of the bar take all of them. So, on Friday night when we got into town the same thing happened and we had to park on the opposite side of the lot. Saturday morning at breakfast we were happy we did because we saw three cars right in front of the hotel that were smashed together. Turns out that a drunk driver from the club next door plowed right into these cars and was continuing to push them with his car when the police came. I feel so bad for one of the car's owners as he was there for his father's funeral and now he had to deal with this.Thank goodness the cars were empty and we thought we had dodged a bullet that night.

So, the next night we were coming back from a U of M football game at around midnight and , again, we can't find a space in front so we park out back only to find that our key doesn't work at the pool entrance. It was too far to walk all of the way around the hotel, so we have to park in the front of the lot, but all of the way down by some low hanging trees. After parking we walk up to the hotel entrance and right by the front door of the hotel there were two women who, I'm sure were hookers. They were trying to talk one of the other guests of the hotel into coming with them. He didn't go, but hookers in front of the hotel??? Come on!

So, at about 1:00 a.m. that night as we are going to bed, my husband notices almost underneath our window is a crowd of people making all kinds of noise and being loud. We tried to go to sleep but at 2:00 a.m. they were still out there making noise, and now we notice a police car and police wagon in front of the hotel . Turns out the next day when we asked what happened they said that some girl got hurt and was bleeding. They wouldn't, or couldn't tell us any more than that. Who knows what happened to her? I don't think the police would be called for a skinned knee. We also found out that the police come out there every night on weekends at the close of the bar because they have had other problems in the past with this place.

So, the next morning, having had no sleep because of the crowd next to our window, we leave, only to find that everything in our car was robbed. They got all of the new items we had just purchased from the University, including some expensive coats and a GPS. What they didn't take, they broke. They were , however, nice enough to leave our daughter's marching band uniform on the dirty ground in the parking lot. Thank goodness for the small things.

Anyway, I am not writing this review to be critical of the hotel. They were nothing but nice to us and they are a well managed establishment. The manager even called to apologise and offer us a free stay there. The problem is that I don't feel safe there anymore. At least not on the weekends when these crazy drunk people are out. I would gladly stay there again when/if they can shut down that restaurant/bar next door. The hotel isn't the problem, it is their neighbors. I will keep checking with them in hopes that their situation will change because it really is a good place to stay. Just not on the weekends.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, only stay on the weekdays. Weekends are filled with drunk drivers, loud people...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank UniversityMom1
Heidi O, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We really appreciate your kind words regarding our guest rooms and our incredible team. I am sincerely sorry about the experience you had outside the hotel and with the adjacent restaurant patrons. I want to assure you that we are working with the restaurant management team and local authorities to make sure what happened that weekend never repeats. We take our guest safety very seriously and we will do whatever necessary to make sure we provide a comfortable, consistent, caring and safe environment for all future guests. I would invite you to call me personally to discuss specifics about our strategies of improvement.

952-646-2801

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay! The room was a little pricey but the staff was friendly and very helpful and located in a nice and quiet neighborhood. They may need to update the tv. We would definitely stay again. Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed our great team and fantastic breakfast! I appreciate you also mentioning our TVs, we are in the process of reviewing the hotel needs and will take your comments into consideration as we continue to improve the hotel.

We look forward to yor next stay with us!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was cheap and it shows. The outside looks nice and the lobby looks nice. Unfortunately, as soon as I got to the room I was disappointed. It smells like smoke and the furniture has definitely seen better days. The chairs look like they were picked up from a garage sale. The floor lamp is ready to fall over. The lighting is terrible.

I'm thinking about trying to get a refund and find somewhere else for the weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryan O
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sincerely sorry that the guest room smelled of smoke and that it didn’t live up to your expectations. We are a smoke free facility so we will definitely treat the room you stayed in so it is ready for future guests. I will also review the furnishings and lighting to make sure it is up to Country Inn & Suites standards. I will be reaching out to you personally in the hope that you will return in the future so we can recoup your confidence in us.

All the best,

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We returned to Minneapolis as we do each summer for a huge soccer tournament, and stayed with our team at a different hotel for the duration, however, returned to Country Inn Suites for an extra night because of the great service we received last year (although we could have/should have extended our previous hotel room), and what a nightmare it was. Friends of ours were staying at Country Inn Suites at my request and made the arrangements and confirmation for us to move into Country Inn Suites the following Sunday morning. When we checked out of our hotel, and arrived at Country Inn Suites, the front desk clerk Steve was crusty, sarcastic and generally unfriendly. When we tried to check in, Steve indicated we had no reservation and certainly not at the rate that was confirmed the night prior. In addition, my friend who was a guest there had her key card deactivated so she could not return to her room after breakfast with her two kids. She advised the front desk clerk, Steve, who refused to assist her unless she showed identification, which of course was locked in her room. He then indicated he would have to escort her to the room where she could show the identification to him. After waiting 1.5 hours, he finally escorted her up to her room where she showed him her ID. She then returned to the front desk with Steve to fix her reservation as Country Inn Suites checked her out notwithstanding her original reservation was from a Thursday - Monday, and not Sunday. No remorse or apology was provided to her. Instead, Steve again asked to see her identification before he could proceed with a reservation even though he saw it 3 mins prior. It was ridiculous. Long story short, we left to go meet up with our team (we were 2 hours late due to this mishap at Country Inn Suites). Steve agreed to extend my friend's room, and confirm a room for me and my children. Upon departing, we were approached by many other guests who witnessed the whole ordeal while waiting in the lobby or eating breakfast. They were utterly disgusted by the treatment we received by Steve. When we arrived in the evening back at Country Inn Suites, imagine our surprise when we discovered that my friend still could not enter her room and I had no reservation. We came back from a day at Valley Fair with four tired kids. This time the front desk individual was apologetic and quickly remedied the situation for us. She was great, but what an unnecessary disaster. Definitely NOT the same hotel/hospitatility as we received last year. Rate was not that great either, and we could not use our toilet as it was plugged by a previous guest. Thankfully we had an adjoining room with our friend so we used their toilet. Keep driving.

Room Tip: Unless you stay in a suite, it's not really worth the price.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WpgSoccerMom
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for your sharing your feedback. I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your recent visit. I want to offer my sincerest apologies for any frustration or disappointment you experienced at our hotel. Your feedback has already been shared with staff members and we will make sure the situation does not become an issue for future guests. I have also sent you a private message in the hopes to recoup your confidence for future stays with Country Inn and Suites.

Heidi Olson, Regional General Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Often visitors to the Twin Cities to see college sports, we look for good value. This particular location is the best combination. It is not flashy, it is not expensive. We've tried other less expensive places but continue to return here because it has great staff, great breakfasts, it is safe, clean, quiet and reasonable. It's great for our purposes; frequent trips with several family members.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms sometimes allow pets
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your great experience. I am delighted that our location and amenities were perfect for your needs. I hope that we see you again on your next trip to the city!

All the best,

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Check-in was fast. Very friendly staff. We were given a ground floor room after I told him my spouse had just had knee surgery. Really appreciated that extra touch. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Complimentary breakfast was very good. We stayed 2 days and the hot dish was different each day. Staff kept breakfast room clean and ready for next customers. Didn't use the pool. Very close to the highway so driving to Science Museum & Target Filed was easy with our GPS. At no time did I feel "unsafe" as reported on other reviews. If you stay here, make sure you go next door to the Oak City Grill....yummy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Drew L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

I will pass on your compliments to the staff as well as the restaurant next door.

Drew Lynch
Assistant General Manager
Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
763-656-5154

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Although we had a non-smoking room, there was a lingering smell in our room that never left. I even tried opening windows and turning on all the fans. The room was large, but in need of a refresh. There was a microwave and fridge, but no freezer in the fridge. All of the staff were very nice, and helpful. We had some great pizza from a local restaurant they recommended delivered to the room.
The area around the hotel is not exactly 'safe' feeling. We ate at the attached restaurant one night, and the food was very good.
The pool was very small, and not terribly well maintained. The breakfast room was very crowded and offered only a few options. However, having strawberries for the waffles was a nice touch.
I would likely pass on staying here again. The price wasn't really reasonable for the location nor was there anything nearby. We were with a group and this was our group hotel, but I would not have chosen it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Drew L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy to see that you hold us in such high regard compared to other hotels. I also want to thank you for the comments about the staff. I will relay these comments on to them.

Drew Lynch

Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
Quality Inn Brooklyn Center
#5 of 8 in Brooklyn Center
Hampton Inn Minneapolis NW Maple Grove

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center? Share your experiences!