Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Brooklyn Center
Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was cheap and it shows. The outside looks nice and the lobby looks nice. Unfortunately, as soon as I got to the room I was disappointed. It smells like smoke and the furniture has definitely seen better days. The chairs look like they were picked up from a garage sale. The floor lamp is ready to fall over. The lighting is terrible.

I'm thinking about trying to get a refund and find somewhere else for the weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryan O
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sincerely sorry that the guest room smelled of smoke and that it didn’t live up to your expectations. We are a smoke free facility so we will definitely treat the room you stayed in so it is ready for future guests. I will also review the furnishings and lighting to make sure it is up to Country Inn & Suites standards. I will be reaching out to you personally in the hope that you will return in the future so we can recoup your confidence in us.

All the best,

Heidi Olson
Regional General Manager

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We returned to Minneapolis as we do each summer for a huge soccer tournament, and stayed with our team at a different hotel for the duration, however, returned to Country Inn Suites for an extra night because of the great service we received last year (although we could have/should have extended our previous hotel room), and what a nightmare it was. Friends of ours were staying at Country Inn Suites at my request and made the arrangements and confirmation for us to move into Country Inn Suites the following Sunday morning. When we checked out of our hotel, and arrived at Country Inn Suites, the front desk clerk Steve was crusty, sarcastic and generally unfriendly. When we tried to check in, Steve indicated we had no reservation and certainly not at the rate that was confirmed the night prior. In addition, my friend who was a guest there had her key card deactivated so she could not return to her room after breakfast with her two kids. She advised the front desk clerk, Steve, who refused to assist her unless she showed identification, which of course was locked in her room. He then indicated he would have to escort her to the room where she could show the identification to him. After waiting 1.5 hours, he finally escorted her up to her room where she showed him her ID. She then returned to the front desk with Steve to fix her reservation as Country Inn Suites checked her out notwithstanding her original reservation was from a Thursday - Monday, and not Sunday. No remorse or apology was provided to her. Instead, Steve again asked to see her identification before he could proceed with a reservation even though he saw it 3 mins prior. It was ridiculous. Long story short, we left to go meet up with our team (we were 2 hours late due to this mishap at Country Inn Suites). Steve agreed to extend my friend's room, and confirm a room for me and my children. Upon departing, we were approached by many other guests who witnessed the whole ordeal while waiting in the lobby or eating breakfast. They were utterly disgusted by the treatment we received by Steve. When we arrived in the evening back at Country Inn Suites, imagine our surprise when we discovered that my friend still could not enter her room and I had no reservation. We came back from a day at Valley Fair with four tired kids. This time the front desk individual was apologetic and quickly remedied the situation for us. She was great, but what an unnecessary disaster. Definitely NOT the same hotel/hospitatility as we received last year. Rate was not that great either, and we could not use our toilet as it was plugged by a previous guest. Thankfully we had an adjoining room with our friend so we used their toilet. Keep driving.

Room Tip: Unless you stay in a suite, it's not really worth the price.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WpgSoccerMom
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for your sharing your feedback. I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your recent visit. I want to offer my sincerest apologies for any frustration or disappointment you experienced at our hotel. Your feedback has already been shared with staff members and we will make sure the situation does not become an issue for future guests. I have also sent you a private message in the hopes to recoup your confidence for future stays with Country Inn and Suites.

Best regards,

Heidi Olson, Regional General Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Often visitors to the Twin Cities to see college sports, we look for good value. This particular location is the best combination. It is not flashy, it is not expensive. We've tried other less expensive places but continue to return here because it has great staff, great breakfasts, it is safe, clean, quiet and reasonable. It's great for our purposes; frequent trips with several family members.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms sometimes allow pets
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Heidi O, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for sharing your great experience. I am delighted that our location and amenities were perfect for your needs. I hope that we see you again on your next trip to the city!

All the best,
Heidi Olson
Regional General Manager

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Check-in was fast. Very friendly staff. We were given a ground floor room after I told him my spouse had just had knee surgery. Really appreciated that extra touch. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Complimentary breakfast was very good. We stayed 2 days and the hot dish was different each day. Staff kept breakfast room clean and ready for next customers. Didn't use the pool. Very close to the highway so driving to Science Museum & Target Filed was easy with our GPS. At no time did I feel "unsafe" as reported on other reviews. If you stay here, make sure you go next door to the Oak City Grill....yummy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Drew L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

I will pass on your compliments to the staff as well as the restaurant next door.

Drew Lynch
Assistant General Manager
Country Inns & Suites By Carlson
763-656-5154

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Although we had a non-smoking room, there was a lingering smell in our room that never left. I even tried opening windows and turning on all the fans. The room was large, but in need of a refresh. There was a microwave and fridge, but no freezer in the fridge. All of the staff were very nice, and helpful. We had some great pizza from a local restaurant they recommended delivered to the room.
The area around the hotel is not exactly 'safe' feeling. We ate at the attached restaurant one night, and the food was very good.
The pool was very small, and not terribly well maintained. The breakfast room was very crowded and offered only a few options. However, having strawberries for the waffles was a nice touch.
I would likely pass on staying here again. The price wasn't really reasonable for the location nor was there anything nearby. We were with a group and this was our group hotel, but I would not have chosen it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Drew L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are happy to see that you hold us in such high regard compared to other hotels. I also want to thank you for the comments about the staff. I will relay these comments on to them.

Drew Lynch
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'll start by saying that I had a fairly substantial concern on my first stay. I filled out the guest survey and advised them of my concern at that time. I'm used to people asking questions without really caring what the answers are. That's why I was surprised when they contacted me and offered to bring me back to fix the problem. I took them up on this offer, and my second stay was flawless.

Now, the hotel itself - it's basic, but well kept and certainly has everything that you need including an above-average breakfast. I'd stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TheCann0n
Valerie L, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2015

Dear Friend,

I noticed that your review had not been responded by prior management. I wanted to share with you that your feedback is important to us and I am thrilled that the staff took the time to reach out to you and made it right. We love our guests' and we always strive to do our best.

We would love to have you stay with us again when your travels bring you to Minneapolis. We always have a warm beverage and cookies to share!

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Location was in a very shady part of town. Wouldn't dare eat in town. The good thing was the highway was very close and we could go 15 miles to Friedly. Pool was very small. Staff was friendly. I would like to see breakfast open at 6am vs 7am on weekends. Its normal for our team to have to be at the rink by 7 am. And was disappointed to learn we had to rush to McDonalds. Would stay again if I get the cheap rate from hotels.com. Otherwise I would not. There was a grill outside and a big area in back to play

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Friend,

I noticed that your review had not been responded by prior management. I wanted to share with you that your feedback is important to us and I am happy to read that you had a good experience during your stay. We love our guests' and we always strive to do our best and that does include opening up breakfast early for our teams even on weekends. By planning ahead, we can make adjustments and changes as needed!

We would love to have you stay with us again whether with a team or individually. We always have a warm beverage and cookies to share!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn Center
Best Western Plus Minneapolis-Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Minneapolis North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Minneapolis Northwest
Cambria hotel & suites Minneapolis Maple Grove

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Brooklyn Center? Share your experiences!