“I'd guess outstanding for breakfast, not so great for dinner -but long history in this location.”
Review of Sawmill Inn Cafe

Sawmill Inn Cafe
Ranked #32 of 75 Restaurants in Brainerd
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Very typical, small town family restaurant that is doing something right, since it's been in this location for 70 some years. But, don't expect anything but "the familiar."

Probably best for breakfast or a burger, but I wasn't there for breakfast.

Do NOT order the steak and "miniscule fried" shimp plate - shrimp looked more like walleye bait covered in a ton of breading. Steak was tiny, thin, but cooked as ordered (med. rare), was tender and taste was fine. They really should offer just 2-3 good shrimp instead of little grey peices of what was on my plate and I didn't finish.

Country Fried Steak (others ordered) was huge and okay - not remarkable however. Country fried steak gravy was pudding thick and should have been thinned down, but it again was the end of the day - maybe the cook was too tired to bother.

Salad bar was small, but fresh, even if we were the last customers of the day. My sister enjoyed her spicy sausage soup (sorry, forget the rest of the name), but it was also a bit thick.

Wait staff was great! Patient with us as her last customers of the day. Very typical "home cooked" American food (that's contributing to expanded waistlines. I'd imagine it would be an outstanding place for typical egg breakfast, but don't expect anything gourmet.