“Clean, friendly, good service”

Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Good experience at this Hilton. This was my second stay here. This visit was similar to the first.

The hotel and my room were very clean. Front desk service was great. Executive Lounge was clean and well stocked.

Will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a new hotel so the decor is more modern than most Hiltons. Service was very good throughout my stay. There is covered parking behind the hotel which is nice in the winter months. Bathroom was very modern with a big glass shower and better towels than most hotels. Fitness center was standard Hilton with elliptical and treadmills, also limited free weights and a universal machine. A/C and heat in the room was very quiet. Executive lounge is on the 2nd floor and had an expansive selection of food and drinks each night, plus local and national papers - very nice! The room was quiet throughout my stay but I was on the top floor.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for staying with us on your recent business recent trip to Bloomington. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice and detailed review about your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed so many of our great amenities. I hope your travels will bring you back to Bloomington and another enjoyable stay at our Hilton.

Safe travels,
Jim

Reviewed January 28, 2013

A solid 4 star stay with excellent front desk staff. We booked here for a pre and post vacation stay flying out of MSP. Our main criteria had been to obviously park our car while away on vacation and it turned out to be an excellent choice.

PROS:
Excellent,courtesy, and friendly front desk staff. Upon checking in pre vacation we were well before check in time and it was no problem. The gentlemen even asked and put us away from the elevator as he knew we had just pulled an all nighter driving to beat a storm.

Very clean and quiet room with extremely comfortable beds. No fridge but we used the sink with ice to cool down some beverages.

Parking for the "Park,Stay, and Fly" was in a covered parkade to eliminate the "cleaning the snow off your car" upon your return. Quite secure and choose a spot near the surveillance camera if you choose.

Booked an executive room which included 2 drink vouchers and 1 appetizer voucher in the Olive Lounge (more to follow on that). Also it included a continental breakfast in the Executive lounge which was worth it with Starbuck's coffee and Tazo tea choices.

Wifi was excellent and not slow at all. If you did not have a laptop or tablet etc you had access to a computer in the Executive lounge and down in the lobby.

Airport shuttle - pre vacation excellent. 10 minute drive to MSP. Post vacation the shuttle was not waiting for us as promised and the reason why we filled out extra paper work in regard to our flight return.(more to follow)

CONS:
Pre vacation stay we ate in the Olive Lounge twice, once for lunch which was very good. That evening we ate an appetizer and a chicken sandwich which were both awful and service less than desired. The on duty restaurnat Manager provided some "lip service" but then did nothing about it. Upon a follow up survey with the hotel, the General Manger addressed and rectified the situation which was nice to see.

Airport shuttle upon return was not waiting. First phone call placed was with assistance from MSP staff for shuttle, after 30 minutes no shuttle. Second call( direct by myself) and spoke with front desk staff who were not aware of our landing, again why then fill out the extra paperwork. Anyways the front desk staff then excelled and gave us the option to take a cab or wait for the shuttle who he would send immediatlely. We choice and waited for the shuttle who was great and apologized. I actually think the MSP staff called the wrong Hilton but wouldn't admit it. From there we checked in around 10:45pm and provided with our vouchers. Upon going to the Olive Lounge again, post vacation for a quick snack were told the kitchen was closed, so had a couple of drinks and again the front desk staff assisted with ordering some pizza as we were too tired to go out after a long travel day.

So all and all the hotel met our needs very well with excellent front desk staff. The Olive Lounge not so much.

Room Tip: Higher floors furthest away from the elevator for less noise and foot traffic.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2travelManitoba
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My company was having meetings at the hilton so spent the last three days there and if you are faced with -20 weather and dull sales meetings this place will at least keep you sane with good food and nice staff. The rooms where clean and had enough room for one person to spread out, nights where silent and my only odd issue was the smoke detector would flash this blue light which would light up the wall like every five mins at night, I didn't notice it the first night but then the 2nd and the 3rd it would drive me nuts, just one of those dumb things that can throw you off when trying to fall asleep, not sure why it needed to flash. Wifi was fast, I had to download drivers for pc setups and didn't have to wait forever like some hotels due to bad networks.

Food in the bar was good and prices compare to most hotel bars, I recommend the burger and they had bottles of certified evil, such a good beer. Staff was super nice and helpful, will stay here again next MoA trip.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The purpose of my trip was to visit the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, but wanted to see some of Minneapolis while in the area. We stayed at this hotel for three nights and it was a perfect; convenient location near the Mall of America, great rate, the room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Although the restaurant/room-service was a bit pricey and the staff could have been a bit more friendly, this was a good experience overall.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Nina,
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to the Minneapolis area. I am pleased you found our location convenient and guestrooms comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I hope you will stay with us again should your travels bring you back to the area.
Jim Waldvogel

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here during a recent business trip to the Twin Cities. Typically when I travel to Minneapolis I stay in this same general vicinity since it is literally about 5 minutes from the MSP rental car center and equally close to the Mall of America. There are many hotels in this area and no shortage of dining options, and also very close to I-494, so it is very convenient.

Overall, it is everything you would expect from a name brand Hilton. The rooms are spacious and modern and the beds were comfortable. The property was quiet despite being so close to the airport (I could literally see the runways from my room but still didn't hear any planes taking off or landing). When I checked in I was told about the two restaurants on the property, one of them somewhat upscale and full service, while the other offered lighter fare such as soup and sandwiches. I didn't try either but the menus looked like a good option if you don't want to go out in the cold.

I only have a couple of minor complaints. First of all I wanted to request a wakeup call, so I pushed the "wakeup call" button on the phone, but nothing happened. So I read the little book in the room and it said to dial "55" for wakeup calls, but when you dial "55" you get the voice mail system which has nothing to do with wakeup calls. Next I pushed the "guest services" button. It rang about 15 - 20 times and nobody picked up, so I waited a few minutes and tried it again but still nobody picked up. Finally I just dialed the front desk and finally got it taken care of. Just a little frustrating to have to go through so many different hoops to get a simple wakeup call.

The other thing that I had a problem with was the hotel internet service. It was so incredibly slow. Think dial-up speed slow. I tried several different WiFi connections that were available in my room and all of them were equally poor. It took nearly an hour to download my email for the day (which didn't even contain any large attachments). As much as I travel on business, I find slow internet speeds totally unacceptable, especially when I stay in nice business class hotels such as Hiltons. I did notice that first thing in the morning before I went down to breakfast the speed was much better. This tells me that the hotel just doesn't have enough bandwitdh to handle the number of guests who may be using the internet in the evenings which, again, I find unacceptable. I hope the hotel can fix that problem in the near future.

Other than the poor internet service and the little snafu with the wakeup call, I would consider staying here again. However, there is an Embassy Suites right next door that I have stayed in many times and probably will return to on my next visit to MSP.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

stayed here with my daughter while celebrating her sweet 16 with a trip to the Mall of america. Hotel was nice enough and very quiet. Hotel staff was very nice, services were good and room was comfortable for the two of us (wouldn't recommend more than 2 as the beds are just double/full size) We did eat at the restaurant in the bar area the first night. Food was OK, but as with most hotels very over priced. ($40 for 2 bowls of soup and an appetizer) - we did order pizza from room service one night which was very good and only $18 - not much more than what you would pay at Dominos, and really good, plus service was faster)
Location was OK - you are only 5 miles from the mall, and you are right off the highway that takes you there - so its easy to find your way there and back, but traffic was always heavy - night and day - so if that is an issue for you, you might want to consider a closer hotel to the mall.
Overall, we were happy with our stay here and would recommend to anyone as alternative to the hotels right next to the mall.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank zillamama2

Dear Guest:
Thank you for traveling so far to visit the Mall of America to celebrate your daughter’s Sweet 16 birthday and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the recommendation and choosing to stay on site for some of your meals.

Best wishes,