“Sweet 16 trip”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Sweet 16 trip”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

stayed here with my daughter while celebrating her sweet 16 with a trip to the Mall of america. Hotel was nice enough and very quiet. Hotel staff was very nice, services were good and room was comfortable for the two of us (wouldn't recommend more than 2 as the beds are just double/full size) We did eat at the restaurant in the bar area the first night. Food was OK, but as with most hotels very over priced. ($40 for 2 bowls of soup and an appetizer) - we did order pizza from room service one night which was very good and only $18 - not much more than what you would pay at Dominos, and really good, plus service was faster)
Location was OK - you are only 5 miles from the mall, and you are right off the highway that takes you there - so its easy to find your way there and back, but traffic was always heavy - night and day - so if that is an issue for you, you might want to consider a closer hotel to the mall.
Overall, we were happy with our stay here and would recommend to anyone as alternative to the hotels right next to the mall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zillamama2
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for traveling so far to visit the Mall of America to celebrate your daughter’s Sweet 16 birthday and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the recommendation and choosing to stay on site for some of your meals.

Best wishes,
Jim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chicago
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for business recently, and really enjoyed it! The front desk staff were extremely friendly, the hotel was kept up well, and the room was super clean. The executive lounge wasn't the nicest I've experienced, but was still decent. No hot breakfast food though, and no hot food in the evenings. My coworker and I went to the hotel bar, Olive a couple of times and I was far from impressed with it. The bartenders were probably the least friendly I've ever run into at a business hotel. The location was really convenient to locations around the Minneapolis-St Paul area, so I will definitely be staying here again if the price is within my expense account budget!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for staying with us on your recent business trip to Bloomington and I am pleased you really enjoyed our hotel. I appreciate the feedback regarding our executive lounge and Olive lounge. We value feedback and I will certainly discuss your experience with the team. I am also delighted you found us to be a great value which we recognize it is very important to be a successful hotel. We look forward to you next stay with us.

Jim Waldvogel
Elkhorn, WI
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The Good.... Convenient location. Airport shuttle available. I requested a late check out and they granted it, no problem. Breakfast, although a bit pricey, was very good. I chose this property because it was cheap for a 4 star. The bed was comfortable. Staff was polite.

The Bad... For a Hilton, 4 star hotel, I found this property to be very average, at best. No frills whatsoever. NO fridge or microwave, which meant I couldn't save any of my left overs. Couldn't chill any soda or wine. Nothing. Very disappointing. They put us on the 3rd floor facing the lower roof top. NOT a very nice view and we had to crank the heat, as it always seemed cold. My friend had to use the extra blanket that was in the closet. My shuttle was 15 minutes late picking me up from the airport.... wouldn't have bothered me too much except that I had a friend meeting me at the hotel and she had to sit and wait for me. Had I have known this, I would have had her pick me up and bypassed the shuttle.

Would I stay here again? No. There are nicer hotels with better amenities that are comparatively priced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Jim Waldvogel
West Linn, Oregon
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This business hotel is often booked and so I'ev been forced to stay at pretty much every other Hilton-branded property near MSP. My wait is over, and it was well worth the wait - this is an exceptional hotel and I recommend it as a base for business while in the area or if you're waiting for a flight or like me flying in late from overseas and spending the night waiting for a connection.

The hotel is just off the freeway and is much easier to reach than other Hilton-branded properties in the area. A left turn, a right turn, and boom I was there. And waiting for me was not only free parking, but a free covered parking lot with easy access to the lobby.

Check-in took less than a minute. The lobby area's only short-coming is lack of a real business center - the hotel only offers a computer propped up on a credenza stuck over in a corner next to a sofa where other guests can look over your shoulder. The lobby-floor is also home to the lounge, restaurant, pool, and fitness room.

Staff was uniformy friendly in that wonderful Minnesotan sort of way I really enjoy. No pretense, just friendly efficient service.

My room was on the 11th floor (a king bedded room on one of the executive-level floors). Common areas have clearly been updated and were spotless. My room was of average size, and I did miss not having a mini-fridge and microwave (things I've come to expect from stays at HGI's and Hamptons). The bed and pillows combined to give me the best night's sleep I've had in any hotel in the past two or three years. The building is quiet - no noise from outside or from neighbors.

The buffet in the restaurant was typical, but the fellow making eggs/omlettes to order was personable and whipped up a nice dish.

Overall, my stay here was great. The hotel delivered everything I needed, at a very reasonable "bed and breakfast" rate from the Hilton website. Great location. Nice property. Outstanding value (no charge for parking or internet access!!!). I can understand why this property is often sold-out, but if it's available when next I travel to/through MSP, this Hilton is and will be my property of choice. I highly recommend it to you.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get an executive level room on one of the higher floors. The rate includes a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Flying_Lawyer
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had to stay a night before a flight and chose the Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington because it was close to the airport and I got a great price on a discount website. It was a wonderful stay. The hotel is relatively new, the staff was extremely friendly and professional, the room was clean and the bed was very comfy. Other hotel managers should come and watch how they operate here. I was very impressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear J S,

Thank you for staying us before your travels. I cannot thank you enough for the wonderful comments regarding our property and staff. I appreciate the review and hope to see you again soon!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The room was clean with a nice comfortable bed, hot shower, and a quiet room. The staff was helpful and friendly. It was close to the airport and to Mall of America. Overall, really great stay. The only problem was the hot tub was broken during my stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Great stay! Staff were friendly and courteous. Close to lots of shopping and some great restaurants. Only down side was the hot tub was not working. Stay was great and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Kathi,
I’m delighted you had such a great stay with us! I appreciate the comments regarding our staff as well as our location to some great restaurants. Thank you for the review and hope you do stay with us again soon!