“This is a very nice hotel with a big BUT.....”

Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Des Moines,
“This is a very nice hotel with a big BUT.....”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I wanted to give this hotel a four but after listening to the concerns of my better half, she argued me down to a three. We stayed here for two nights over the weekend to do some shopping and the price was a steal online. The location of the hotel is about fifteen minutes from the MOA, has very easy access to the interstate and is close to Target and other shopping. It is a large, very nice, newer Hilton hotel. The rooms were clean and comfy, flat screen television, glass showers, it all had a modern feel. We ordered room service and the aged steaks from the ChopHouse were top notch, all the food was five star.

Now for the big but.....The hot tub has so much cholrine it would burn your eyes. The pool is small but is heated so I didn't mind. Our room included access to the Executive Lounge but it is not open in the evening on the weekends. Some reviews say they got vouchers for drinks at the bar or something but as some others have said, the hotel did not provide any information at check in, I had to call and see what it was all about. The breakfast in the lounge was kinda blah for a Hilton, Denny's was right across the street.
The first night we stayed, the hotel was hosting a very large party and the hotel/restaurant was packed. You have to pass right in front of the restaurant and people waiting to get to the pool and it was kind of awkward. We saw a mom and taking her kids down to the pool almost fully dressed. Also, we went to the MOA and upon our arrival back to the hotel it was dark and snowing. I was lucky and parked in one of the few spots in the ramp. The hotel entrance from the parking ramp is off the large ballroom area. We walked up to the door, hands full of shopping bags, all we could see were people in suits and miniskirts having drinks, (think business dressy attire company X Christmas party). We were first confused if we were in the right place to get in to the hotel due to lack of signs and I did not feel comfortable walking through all those people. We walked back to the car, parked in the front and walked through the snow to the main hotel entrance. The only reason I get into this is because my better half said she felt unsafe outside in the parking lot. The hotel could use a bellhop when it is busy and was surprised a hotel this nice does not have one. I wear nice, clean, casual clothes, one gave me weird looks but I did feel underdressed a couple of times. This is a real classy place with a classy restaurant that hosts dressy parties, it may not be a good pick for large families.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Juicyjann,

Thank you so much for your insight. We read reviews like yours to improve our on-property experience. We are always looking to improve. We value your feedback and we are pleased you liked many aspects of our hotel including our ChopHouse restaurant and guestrooms. We would also like for you to know that safety and comfort are our highest priorities. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will return for a future stay.

Happy Holidays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Saint Paris, OH
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel is very clean and fairly new. Rent a room on the executive level and enjoy free soft drinks and breakfast, which is well worth the additional charge. The staff is very accomodating and goes the extra mile for the guests.

Room Tip: Choose the Executive level for extra perks
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Patrick,
Thank you for staying with us. I’m happy you enjoyed the amenities that are included with the Executive Level rooms, and that our staff was very accommodating. I hope you will choose to stay with us again!
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had a group of 200 people in town and utilized this hotel for their accommodations as well as our food functions. We were extremely impressed with the quality of the property as well as the quality of the service. Everything functioned like a well-oiled machine, food was good, rooms were immaculate and modern. This is a great hotel for business, centrally located along 494, near numerous award-winning restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your positive experience during your recent meeting . I’m please you and your group enjoyed our facilities including our quality service, good food and immaculate rooms. We look forward to your next meeting and stay with us!

Happy Holidays
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great location with easy access to interstate and free parking. I got a great price through their website which allowed me to overlook the fact that wi-fi isn't typically included. That said, when I arrived, they gave me a code for free wi-fi anyway. I think it was a special weekend offer. The lobby was noisy with a wedding reception, but my room on the 7th floor was super quiet and comfortable and clean. I didn't have time to check out any of the other amenities, but I would definitely recommend this place. Not a lot of character -- it's ambience is a bit corporate -- but everything else was great.

Room Tip: I imagine the higher, the quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for you recent stay in Bloomington. I appreciate your feedback. I am glad you found our location convenient and recognize the outstanding value we offer our guests. I also appreciate the recommendation, and hope you will be able to check out some of our other great amenities next time you are in the area!
Take care,
York Beach, Maine
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The outstanding asset to this location is its effective staff. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I appreciated the early morning efficiency of the hotel shuttle driver as well as the handling of a late night arrival by the front desk clerk.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the comments regarding our Outstanding staff, I am proud of our Team and I am pleased that were able to take care of you from the late check in to the early morning shuttle. I hope you are to stay with us again!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stopped there for only one night, but had no complaints. Easy to find, good location, although not exactly within walking distance to Mall of America (but then, very few hotels are). A short drive will get you there.
Free parking right in front, very quick and efficient check in, within 2 minutes I am in my room. Very spacious, very clean, very good bed, great shower. Very quiet, good night of sleep.
The pool is quite small, but also clean. Small adjacent gym, enough for a short stay. Restaurant seems good but I did not try.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
jimwaldvogel, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for all the great comments regarding our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed so many of our great amenities; location, free parking, clean, spacious rooms. I hope you will stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Bloomington.
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The company I work for recently held a meeting here. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable. From start to finish in the planning process the response time was always quick. The hotel shuttle made it easy for all of our people coming out of town to get to the hotel from the airport painless. The front desk personnel were always smiling and happy to help. When we needed assistance during our meeting it never took more than a few minutes for our issues to be resolved. The food was delicious during our meeting and having the olive lounge downstairs made evening drinks easy. The chophouse restaurant was great as well, serving a group of 20 of us for lunch and they didn't even flinch. The rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. All of our sales people raved about the beds-which if you know traveling sales people you know this is a huge compliment. The only downside to this hotel is that it is kind of far from the airport/ Mall of America. That being said, the hotel shuttle does service the airport and MOA, so even the distance couldn't keep us from shopping! Overall this hotel was a great place to stay at and everyone had a great experience.

Dear Laura,
I appreciate all the kind words regarding our hotel and staff. These are l great comments that I look forward to passing on to my team. I am glad the shuttle was able to get you and your group to the mall and airport, and that you enjoyed the restaurant as well as the comfortable beds! I look forward to you and your group staying with us again soon!