“Pleasantly surprised”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 14, 2014

When I first learned our conference would be held at the Crown Plaza MSP Airport-Mall of America, I was concerned as Google maps showed the hotel in the middle of “nowhere” (i.e. an office park area near the airport) with no convenience stores or restaurants within walking distance. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the location proved to be no problem.

The hotel runs a free shuttle to the airport every half-hour; although they do request you call from baggage claim to let them know you need pick-up as their shuttle drop-off location is not the same as the pick-up location, which is in the lower transit area. The hotel also runs a free shuttle to the Mall of America on the hour (with return pick-up about 10 minutes after the hour). This gives guests access to more restaurants than one can count. And the city tram system has a stop (American Blvd.) right across the street from the hotel providing access to downtown, including museums and the ball park. The hotel, itself, has a “market” corner with a vending machine and snacks for sale and in addition has a full restaurant, a bar that also serves food, and a coffee café with a few food items.

Upon arrival at the hotel, check-in was very smooth. When I got in the elevator, however, I encountered that horrible old smoke smell so I was very worried as I’m extremely allergic to smoke. However, my room seemed to be O.K. I really liked the fact rooms are all equipped with a small refrigerator (not one of those stocked over-priced mini-bars) and a micro-wave as well as a coffee maker. Everything in the room was spotlessly clean. The cooling system fan was just a bit noisy but it worked well, which was good as I arrived on a very hot, muggy day. Both the bed and armchair were just a bit firm for my taste, but then I’m used to a memory foam mattress. The desk area was nice and the free wifi worked fine.

The fitness facilities are quite nice. The gym had a wide variety of equipment as well as free weights and open floor space for workouts. There was also a large indoor pool which I did not try.

The restaurant provides a breakfast buffet which is a bit pricey and has a limited number of items. The quality of food, though, was very good. Our conference program included daily lunch and an afternoon snack at which the food seemed to be amazing and limitless. I especially recommend their soups about which everyone raved. They even provided free bottled water for those of us who did not want coffee or tea.

I was very impressed with how the hotel handled the conference. Meeting rooms provided tables with well-spaced chairs, a nice conference lobby area, and plenty of restrooms. The only suggestion I would make is that their microphone systems seriously need to be updated.

On the whole, my four-night stay was a very positive experience and I found all the staff members to be wonderfully efficient and pleasant.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue for you, avoid rooms ending in number 18 as that is the location of the vending...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank comcox

Reviewed August 13, 2014

This is a older hotel that has been kept in great shape, note that most attractions and restraunts you will need a car or shuttle or need to take light rail everything just a little too far to walk. Business traverlers will like this hotel. Upon check in I meet Bridget, I can't say enough how freindly she was I five her 5 stars, fast check-in. Room was nice and clean, carpet was showing some wear but not horrible. Shuttle driver was professional as well. Will stay again

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Hi. First the good. Front Desk and Phone Staff were very nice. Shuttle to and from airport was great. It's less than a 5 minute ride. Shuttles are decent, large and clean. Driver very helpful. Left right on time. I was impressed that they had both a large crowd at 5:30am and two shuttles ready to go. If you need a hotel near MSP - this works.
As for the hotel... It is average at best. Very clean and nice towels. Bed and bedding were decent. Paper products (especially facial tissue) very cheap and rough. Not what you expect for a room that costs well over $300 with tax.
The A/C cooled the room down, but it was a dark, worn, cheap laminate furniture palace. Hideous drapes. Old hangers. Slippery tub. I thought it was terribly overpriced (my rate was about $279 plus tax). Also, I got in late with a weather delay and I didn't need the bar tender chatting at the other end of the bar with her coworker instead of hustling down to ring up my water bottles so that i could get to bed... She saw me standing there...
If it wasn't for the great shuttle I would say avoid this hotel...

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Dear ChrisFromCincinnati,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the AC unit and other room amenities have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Janice A

Reviewed August 12, 2014

This hotel started very nice in the lobby with Amy at front desk - very accommodating and friendly. The room was quite spacious with good first impression. I noticed the luggage stool was dirty and had stains. In bathroom, housekeeping had placed new bar of soap in dirty soap dish next to sink which still had water and soap residue from previous guest. Bed skit was dirty. Also in bathroom, there was either thick hand cream or toothpaste on the bathroom door. The bedroom floor did not appeared to be vacuumed. This hotel is a great location between the Mall of America and the airport, but housekeeping seems to have lost the excellence they had last year.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BradJack

Dear BradJack,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the poor housekeeping services prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Karen C

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We had a weekend stay to take the kids to Mall of America and get in a little shopping ourselves! The building is older, but very well maintained. There is a Caribou Coffee in the lobby which was a bonus :) The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Everyone you passed greeted you with a friendly smile. We were upgraded to a suite, which was spacious with 2 double beds and another seating area with couch, table and an additional TV. There was a wet bar area with fridge and microwave which proved very handy. This was one of the nicer pools we have experienced in a hotel and kids really enjoyed! There is plenty of room and towels in the pool area were well stocked. Rooms were clean and our request for more towels was completed so fast, we wondered how they made it up to the 10th floor. Shuttle service to the Mall of America was every hour, was very prompt and eliminated the need to battle parking. The breakfast buffet was good, but a little pricey for a breakfast meal. I highly recommend! When we come back, I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Got in late 8/6/14 and realized there was no shower curtain in the early am! Luckily one was brought up quickly, but what an oversight. Next hair dryer was broken. 9:30 am shuttle to MSP was trashed. Full of newpapers scattered all over floor and seats. This is not what I have experienced wih past CP stays. Looks like place had the standard cosmetic remodel in common areas but hallways pretty drab. Room was ok, but the mattress was not the standard one CP usually has. If you're not a points person, may want to compare Hilton, Embassy Suites or Hyatt Place next door.

The positive: Good service from bar staff and shuttle driver. Friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: August 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear PSP64,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We would like to apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stayed here the night before out flight out of MSP airport. It was a great hotel with clean rooms, free parking, free wifi and an incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple