“Nice place nice location”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Breezy Point, Minnesota
“Nice place nice location”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We booked this hotel via Priceline and were pleasantly surprised at the value and the brand name.
Upon arrival, initial check-in was a breeze. Unfortunately the hotel shares an attached ramp with a neighboring business and you have to drive around until you're at the top level, their requirement. They give you a parking pass to place in your vehicle but we got ticketed (not a legal ticket) by the parking ramp monitors because we were told "the next time you get to your vehicle.
After I parked and went up to the 9th floor.....we found that the key given to us did not work in the door. Very annoying. Back to the lobby where now there was a plentiful line and only two people working the counter. Key re-programmed and now works.
The room is nicely sized for two people and includes a nice sized TV, sitting area, small fridge, work table and great view of MSP. I forgot my contact lens solution so I called the front counter and spoke to the woman who spoke broken English. I called to find out if they sold and lens solution. I was told "yes" and then "I'm checking people in" then click. That was nice.
Next day we headed out and came back in the afternoon to find our key NOT working AGAIN. More than annoying again. Back to the lobby where a deep line of people and only two people working again. Key re-programmed and in we go.
We rated this hotel based upon amenities and comfort, not the staffing our customer service, that failed. Give this place a go, you'll likely be happy as long as you remember your lens solution and don't need a new door key.

Room Tip: Try and get higher up in the building and on the airport side. The view is quite nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you're looking for a home base from which to explore everything from the Mall of America to Target Field, the Target Center and the heart of downtown Minneapolis, you would be hard-pressed to find a better location to base from than the Crowne Plaza Hotel and Suites Minneapolis International Airport. Even before the addition of light rail service rail stations right outside the hotel -- (American Boulevard station) -- we always enjoyed the big view of aircraft arriving and departing from MSP from the upper floors of this former Holiday Inn Select, which has been converted to a Crowne Plaza. (Don't worry about the noise; you'll never hear them from your room.) Located in close proximity to MSP, the hotel operates several airport shuttles and the service is excellent.

The rail service is inexpensive and frequent, meaning you can park your car in the ramp and forget it during your stay. The hotel is spacious, with 120 suites and even more standard rooms on its 13 floors. It's full service and the staff is friendly. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub area, as well as the breakfast buffet. Those are the high points. For those planning meetings, there is a good selection of function rooms comprising 18,000 square feet total.

On the the deduct side, there are reasons that we can't grade this hotel as being anything above average. For one, our room was in need of refurbishment -- we know it's not the only one -- and there are other areas of the hotel where the need for updating is evident, from furnishings to wall coverings; carpeting and more. This place is well-used and its looks like it. The Business Center is complimentary, but the computers are painfully slow, to the point of being frustrating. There are also a couple of computers in the lobby area.

We'll be looking forward to visiting this one again for the location, but we hope there are near-term plans for refurbishment to help this property more fully live up to the promise of the CP brand.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms facing the airport make for panoramic views of the activity at MSP.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Robert E, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Bloomington and for taking the time to let us know about your experience. It is always great to hear we are delivering friendly and efficient service. As we consider updating policy, we look to reviews like yours so we can better serve our guests. Thanks again for the great comments about our service and hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. We hope the next time you are in the area you will stay with us again.
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel once for a park and fly when leaving for the MSP airport. The hotel is very nicely updated and modern! Very nice rooms and beds, wonderful lobby and hotel restaurant and bar! The only downfall is that the long term parking for the park and fly vehicles is located down the street. So in the middle of winter you have to park your car a couple minutes away and walk...big deal? not really...but less than ideal. Also, this is a very nice hotel (so if that's what you need, this is it). I was booked into this hotel for a work-related vacation so I did not have a choice in places to stay. Don't get me wrong, its GREAT, and I loved it. However, when I book my own park and fly hotels for personal vacations, I don't need to spend this much when all it is for is the convenience of a night's sleep before a flight and a place to keep my car. There are other nice cheaper park and fly options available if that is all you're looking for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This was the nicest hotel I stayed at while in Minneapolis, which puts it just above average.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the bar was well stocked. I didn't purchase the breakfast buffet but had a look and it didn't look too special.

The room was OK and well equipped with all the amenities you would expect but the decor was a little dated, as was it throughout the hotel.

This all said, as the staff were excellent I would probably return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Robert E, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We do have an excellent team and it is always great to hear positive feedback. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to the rest of our team. I hope you will stay with us on your next trip to Bloomington and give our breakfast buffet a try. Thanks again for the comments.
Plano
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stay here when I travel in to MN for work. The breakfast buffet is very good, as long as you are not vegan. The beds are comfortable enough and the showers are hot with good pressure.
The same spot that serves breakfast is also has the nightly watering hole, so if drinking your day away is necessary, and you're good for a burger, that's your place. It seems like a happening place to hang out. It is almost always busy at night when I stay there.

The gym downstairs that joins the indoor pool does have free weights, but it is really better if you are a cardio person...and there are only 2 of you in the gym. If there are more than a couple in the room you are quickly out of room.

The layout of the building is a bit strange. Nothing to worry about
The freeway and service roads around the hotel require that you know where you are going or you will struggle getting to the hotel the first time or two.

Room Tip: If you are a fitness above, plan on it being a cardio week
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at this hotel before a flight and after arriving late by Amtrak. I was welcomed very courteously and politely by the front desk staff, and checked in quickly. My room was as i requested, on a high floor away from noise from elevators. There was a huge wall of windows. This is not a brand-new property, but the medium-sized room had everything I needed to be comfortable. There was a good work desk, a huge comfortable sofa,flat-screen TV, chairs,usual hotel amenities and furniture, and the king-size bed had good linens and was extremely comfortable for a good night's sleep. Good curtains kept the room appropriately dark. I did not hear anything as far as people or typical hotel noise during the night. There was a good supply of everything I needed, from linens, towels, bath amenities, storage space.
The only complaint I had (and which has been commented on by others in their reviews) was the heating/air conditioning unit. I had to call the maintenance man to check the thing, as a lot of cold air was blowing in around the edges of this very large in-wall unit. The noise this unit made when it cycled on and off was enough to keep waking me up despite the otherwise quiet surroundings and great bed. The room windows also had cold drafts coming in the edges on an icy Minneapolis night. I tried leaving the heat completely off, but with the cold drafts coming in, it was simply too cold, in the low 50s in the room, which is too cold even for this Northeast resident.
I noticed a lot of flight crews at this hotel, and being a former airline employee, I know the airlines aim to put their crews at decent properties so they can get proper rest. Other than the heating unit, I had a very good stay. The hotel is convenient to the airport, and the free shuttle ran on time and had a courteous driver.
I did mention the issue with the heating unit to front desk clerk upon checking out, and he seemed genuinely distressed that I was disturbed - I felt that he would have taken something off the bill or done something had I really pushed the issue, but everything else was very nice and sometimes older properties just have older equipment. The hotel is aware of the problem and in the process of updating, apparently.
Had a very nice lunch at the in-hotel Martel's restaurant before I left, which will be reviewed separately.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - the views are spectacular.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed 1 night as it was not far from the mall of America. They do have a shuttle there but we never used it. Check in was very quick and the desk person was very pleasant. Our room faced the airport so you can hear planes. We turned on the fan though and they were blocked out. The room is comfortable and clean. Rather dated and showing some wear. Our desk chair had fabric on it that was all torn. But the bed was perfect in firmness. Not sure why they still have the old double style bed as no one has those anymore. Not even much cheaper places. Queens are minimum. So that was a bit cozy with 2 in the bed. We had a suite so it was nice to have the extra space and 2 TV's. I had no problem in the bathroom with water temp or shower height. The rest of the hotel was clean but the decor is old looking. Who knows that may come back soon and they will look modern. We used the pool and it was very cold and there were not towels. We did not try the onsight restaurant. Everyone we encountered was kind and very helpful. Service was quick. So it wasn't a bad stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Robert E, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Bloomington and for taking the time to let us know about your experience. At this hotel we value all feedback, both good and bad, as it gives us an opportunity to see how our guests view the product and services we offer.As we consider updating policy, we look to reviews like yours so we can better serve our guests.

Thanks for the great comments about our service and cleanliness. I will be sure to share your comments with our team.

We hope the next time you are in the area you would consider staying with us again