“No Excuse”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The good: Convenient location on the light rail line with easy access to the airport, downtown Minneapolis, Target Field, Mall of America stadium, and of course, the Mall of America. Concierge lounge is the best of any Crowne Plaza properties I've stayed at, and the staff at Martel's are the best!

The bad: Sometimes fails to put in the effort to make this property shine. One stay, I found a 2009 newspaper on top of the armoire in my room....that was in 2012. On this trip the ottoman may have been purchased from a circus. With the rips, tears, and stuffing coming out, it could have been attacked by a big cat.

There's really no excuse. But all-in-all, the good outweighs the bad by a long shot.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank UsingPoints
Jim K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

To UsingPoints,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with us, but did not like hearing about the ripped ottoman. Please contact me so I can find out what room you were in to make sure we get that replaced. Thank you again for staying with us and the review.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed one night before our early morning flight. The front desk staff was friendly and check-in was quick and easy. The room was clean enough, but the tub/shower didn't drain well at all. By the time I finished, I was standing in 3-4 inches of water. Ugh. The room doors closed with a heavy thud. Our neighbors were in and out quite a bit and the thumping got a little tedious. We parked our car in the hotel ramp for a week and were happy with the well-lit lot. We took the 5 am shuttle to the airport. The desk clerk advised us to show up 5 minutes early, but we were there at quarter to 5. Lucky thing, because most of the shuttle was filled with airline personnel. Folks who showed up closer to 5 had to wait for the next shuttle at 5:30. When we returned from our trip, the airport shuttle arrived quickly and took us back to the hotel. The driver was very friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Since it was four years since we last stayed at this hotel (it was still a Holiday Inn back then), I thought that I'd update our previous review, especially since our experience just last week was very different from some of the other recent reviews.

We spent one night at this Crowne Plaza, coming into the Minneapolis-St Paul area to catch a flight at MSP. We chose this hotel for its proximity to the airport and the Park 'n Fly (which is directly across the street).

Our positive experience started with a very friendly & helpful front desk clerk who had a very bright demeanour. Our room on the 11th floor with two double beds was a good size, clean and with an effective (but not too loud) air conditioner. The wifi was easy to access and quite fast.

One of the best amenities in the hotel is the very large pool with a 7' deep end...a functional pool well beyond the tiny tubs that pass for pools in some hotels. Even with about 15-20 people in the pool during our visit, there was still more than enough room to actually swim. On the flip side, the hot tub & sauna in the same area were just OK...neither really very hot.

Breakfast is not included in the cost of the hotel, but the restaurant does have a breakfast buffet for $12. Although expensive by breakfast standards, we chose this buffet just to save the hassle of finding breakfast somewhere else. As it turned out, the buffet was pretty good with quite an extensive selection of both hot & cold items. Worth $12??...probably a little overpriced, but because there is really nothing else in the immediate vicinity, still a good choice.

Based on other reviews, I was expecting a major hike to/from the parkade. As it turned out, it wasn't nearly the onerous trek I was expecting. All of the hotel-designated spots in the parkade are right near the overhead walkway to the hotel...(maybe it's a different story for those using the hotel's parkade for long-term parking when flying out of MSP).

As with our stay four years ago, we had another good experience with this hotel and would consider it again as an option near MSP and/or the Mall of America.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheFamilyPLAR

To The FamilyPLAR,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you stayed here 4 years ago and that you came back to visit us again and had a great experience. Hopefully it will not take 4 years again to come visit, but if it does, we will be here for you. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd and final stay. Each time the rooms got worse. We checked in and headed to our room. We opened the door and it smelled terrible. It smelled like a dirty poopy diaper. We called the front desk and they agreed to move us to a different room with no questions asked. The 2nd room didn't smell but the carpet was stained and the wall was stained. On top of the stained wall the wallpaper was falling off and it had black mold. We stayed one night and checked out and went to the Hilton across the street. See pictures.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Rod C

To Rod C,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on tripadvisor. I am embarassed to hear about the experience that you had during your stay. Please contact me so I can discuss this further with you to help get this resolved. Thank you again for filling out a review.

Director of Front Office

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We only stayed one night as part of a road trip. At first the hotel seemed really nice. It was clean, the location was great, the price was great and the front desk staff was nice. The pool looked wonderful, but we did not have time to swim. We went for dinner elsewhere and returned to a living nightmare. The kids in the next room were shouting. We either heard the kids shout or their TV all night long. I was contemplating calling the front desk and asking to switch rooms when I heard our neighbors close their curtains. That confirmed the walls were paper thin and it was not worth the trouble of packing everything up to move to another room with thin walls.
I mentioned it to the desk upon checkout. They did say I should have called them and they would have sent security up to the room. I still am not sure how this would have helped. I really seemed as though we would be able to hear our neighbors talking, given that we could hear them open and close their curtains.
On our way back, we stayed elsewhere and spent a little more money. It was worth it to get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bruhdt

To Bruhdt,
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with us while you were here. I would appreciate it if you contacted to discuss this further since you had an unpleasant stay with us. Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Not unlike hotels of a similar age, the rooms in this hotel vary greatly. Some rooms are actually very elegant and clean, by reasonable standards, and are pleasant to stay in. Other rooms are almost awful. At its worst this place is stinky and dirty (especially the floors). In general, the hotel isn't bad, but it shows it's age. The food is fine, but not great and breakfast is decent. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this place but for the price, I wouldn't mind staying again either.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KLSchiebel
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza. I thought it average. The room was nice and comfortable, and the bed was really good. My room had a loose 12" tile in the middle of the bathroom floor. The desk chair had a tear in the back. I felt that the hotel in general was tired but still doing the job. There was a pile of dirty room service dishes by the elevator for several hours. I was surprised that the parking structure stairwell was disintegrating and unless you parked on the floor with the skywalk, that was your only option other than walking up the ramp to the next floor. I would stay there again because of the location and price, but I hope that the general atmosphere would be energized.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Seekur
Jim K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

To Seekur:
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to hear that your stay was just average. Please contact me so I can find out some more information to get these issues you mentioned taken care of in your room and make your next stay with us more enjoyable. Thanks again.

Director of Front Office