“Dissapointing Room”

Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Ontario
“Dissapointing Room”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I stay at this hotel a few times a year when I am returning home on early morning flights after being in Minnesota on Business. I've always been pretty pleased with this hotel and on many levels still am but the room I was put in was not great. I could have said something but I was only staying the one night and I was too tired.

I was put in a disabled accessible room which wasn't needed but it was a room. The room itself was almost comical. The bathroom was huge with a door that opened out into the room, I assume to accommodate people in wheelchairs? What was so funny about that is that there was no way a person in a wheelchair could have made it through the hallway from the room door into the sleeping area because they wouldn't be able to squeeze between the wall and the table that was placed against the other wall.

The bed itself was a sight. It was essentially convex with high sides and sunken middle and I was trying to imagine someone who had physical limitations trying to roll themselves out of the center.

At the end of the day, the room was clean though tired and I can put up with almost anything for one night as long as it's clean. Hotel amenities are good, staff are very friendly and helpful and with our corporate rate, we have a free hot breakfast buffet included in the room rate.

Location is good as it's so near to the airport and I will stay there again as I usually do but would likely speak up next time if given a similar room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jim K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
To Yesguy,
I appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you normally stay with us when you return home. I am dissapointed to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience during your last stay. Please contact me, so I can find out more about your experience and what room you were in so I can address the issues you mentioned in the review with my Director of Housekeeping. Thanks again for your repeat business and we hope to see you back here soon.

Jim Kasper
Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Greenville, SC
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had a 4 night reservation here last week and actually checked out after 2. There are some good things about the hotel but if you are a Crowne Plaza fan, the one 5 min. down the road is nicer in my opinion.

Pros:

1. The lobby has been upgraded along with the 2nd floor. In fact the lobby and 2nd floor (conference / event floor) meet my expectations for a Crowne Plaza.

2. The gym - it's actually top notch! I would have even considered rating the property overall with 2 stars if it wasn't for the gym. It has free weights (dumbbells), machines, lots of cardio equipment, and lots of space.

3. Room service - room service was quick and the service was great

4.) Breakfast buffet was very good - and the service staff was very friendly

5.) Platinum member lounge and reception - this is always a plus!

6.) The amenities in the room were upgraded and were nice, I liked the microwave and refrigerator.

Cons:

1.) The renovations stopped in the common areas after the 2nd floor. The hallways were simply outdated and new at least new paint.

2.) Parking - nothing the hotel can do to fix this, but it is simply odd. But at least its free, if I had to pay for this parking, I would have checked out after 1 night

3.) Room layout - I had a king executive suite. I loved the space, however the layout is just odd. If you are sitting at the desk you can't watch TV and work at the same time because the way the rooms are set up.

4.) Service - it wasn't even close to the over top customer service I normally get at other Crowne Plazas. I think it was partly due to how busy the hotel was catering to large events. Nothing significantly stands out bad, but I was blown away by the staff like I normally am at Crowne Plaza's.

All in all, there are tons of hotels in the MSP area. So I doubt that I will stay at this property again. It wasn't terrible but for the money the CP down the road has my money or another chain of hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
To Majones7:
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review on TripAdvisor. You mentioned a lot of Pros and Cons about our property and I appreciate you giving us the feedback. The main thing that concerned me about the Cons, is the customer service aspect. I never like to hear that a guest did not receive the service they are expecting to receive. This is something that I will address with my staff. Thanks again for the review and it is because of people like you that help us improve.

Jim K
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed on business for 2 nights in a suite which turned out to be cheaper than the room I had initially booked.

Arrived to find myself "priority pass member of the day"! Despite that, and staying in a suite, was surprised to find no water provided for free (was in every other hotel on trip). Room well appointed, clean and comfortable and quiet. Was at the end of a very long corridor mind!

Lunch in restaurant was a less positive experience - limited food choice and what arrived was not great.

Out near airport which a long way from the centre of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Jimbod01,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding Priority Club perks and the poor food selection. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My company hosted a week long conference at this hotel. I was in charge of setting up the meeting, overnight rooms, meals, etc. I will say that everyone in the sales department was wonderful! They made sure we were well taken care of and they were easy to work with. Di and Nancy were who I worked with.

The only small frustration I had was that my boss had a package sent to him at the hotel with important information and the front desk staff never notified him that it had arrived. He was so busy each day that he didn't catch it until after he had left. I wish they would have better communicted to him that his packaged had in fact arrived. I called the day after we left and the hotel front desk staff said that they did have it sitting right there behind the front desk.

Despite the small miscommunication I would definitely use this hotel again in the future mainly for the fact that the sales staff took good care of our group.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
milwaukee, wisconsin
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Enjoyed this hotel very much. Was slightly misdirected when I called from the light rail. I was instructed to make a stop at the airport and wait for the hotel shuttle. One can actually take the light rail right to the hotel. It is on the rail line. Other than my 20 minute deviation, once there it was wonderful. The room was modern and very sound-proof.

Room Tip: Ask for the concierge floor (13th) as it is the quiet floor. Very nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I attended a weekend training here and the room was clean and comfortable with view across the wetlands. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant food was fine but the service in the restaurant and at the coffee bar in the morning was a bit slow. I'm from NY and used to faster service. The complimentary shuttle between hotel and also to Mall of America was a great benefit. I used the fully-equipped fitness center and would've used the pool if I had stayed my full time but I got out of town before the predicted 10" of snow on April 22!

The training involved a group of people but no group rate was set. However, 2 of our group got suites at a rate much lower than the standard 2 bed room I got. Management said it all depends on when you make your reservation and rates change just like airfares. I guess I'll have to keep calling to see how it changes.

Room Tip: Join the priority club, get points and rooms on quiet floors.
Dickinson, North Dakota
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was given a meeting room with a murphy to sleep in when I was booked for a standard bed room.
The mattress was torn, sheets not changed and garbage when I pulled the bed down.
When I went back to the desk for another room, they simply said "we are booked", and the front desk clerk extremely rude!
Look at the pictures.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jim K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Bill P,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am very embarassed to hear about your experience here and to see the pictures you posted of the room you stayed in. Please contact me directly at 952-876-8706 to discuss this more so I can address the problem completely. Thank you very much.

Jim K