“Solo female traveler, stay away. You may find yourself walked or overcharged.”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Chicago, Illinois
“Solo female traveler, stay away. You may find yourself walked or overcharged.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had an awful experience. I was in Minneapolis for a quarterly retreat. The day our group arrived from our respective cities, we convened to have lunch at the restaurant there. Talk about unfriendly. That is putting it mildly. We all joked about how cold the staff was in that restaurant but was so relieved when we arrived at the Gainey Conference Center where the service was completely different and made up for the Crown Plaza's lack of hospitality in the restaurant. Anyway, I called the Crown Plaza Hotel (CPH) from the Gainey Retreat Center to book a room for Saturday night Dec. 8, 2012. It was already after midnight, into Saturday already. I did not book online as I typically would because I didn't have access at the time. However, I was trying to stay get closer to the airport as I would be leaving early Sunday morning. Well, I arrived at the CPH to check in and gave them my reservation number for the $89 rate and was told that my reservation was for Dec. 7, 2012 and they were oversold. I asked them how could you make a reservation for Dec. 7 when it was already Dec. 8 when I made the reservation? The young pregnant woman at the desk told me well that depends on what time it was where the reservations were made. WHAT?! Now I have spent 17 previous years in the Travel and Tourism industry and I know better than this kind of non-sense. Does that mean that the CPH will not honor the service that they have outsourced to a far off land somewhere? So she told me that she couldn't help me. Basically, I was SOL. I asked for the manager and she said she was the manager. I was persistent as I was now stranded and nowhere to go. She eventually gave me a handicapped room and gave me the charge slip to sign. I told her that she charged me the full rate for that night and that she should honor the rate that I booked. She made it clears that no she would have to charge me the full rate as she was doing me a favor anyway. I couldn't believe what this hotel was doing to me. I had no choice but to sign but next to my name I indicated that it was "under duress." The guys that were a part of the retreat group joked that the woman saw all those other people that were there to shop at the mall for the holiday and she didn't care that it was their fault. She knew that she could fill every room with all the people in line behind me waiting to try for a room. It was very noisy and after that experience, I didn't sleep at all. This place shattered my confidence in feeling safe. I just wanted to get to the airport in the morning and away from "Minnesota Nice." I filed a written complaint with the hotel and until now nearly a month later, I have yet to hear from them.

Room Tip: If you're needing to be near the airport just make sure it's not during the height of shoppi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Deveda60601
ForsR, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
On behalf of the Crowne Plaza Hotel & Suites please accept my apologies for the services issues you encountered regarding the restaurant and front office staff.
We read reviews like yours to improve our guest experience.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will give us another opportunity on future visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 4, 2013

First off the front desk service was GREAT! The hotel itself is fairly old but well maintained. The biggest issue I had was with parking. What a nightmare. The parking ramp adjacent to the hotel has so many stalls designated with a color...so round and round and round you go to find any space available. Needless to say you are not near an elavator or even a stairway. The stairways are big enough for a single file line and they were pretty scary. I found out later that one of the levels did have a sky walk but there were no spaces. Regardless the room was as described and they were clean. I'd stay here again but I'd plan on parking once and using their shuttle service to the MOA.

Room Tip: This is a high hotel. Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear carey w,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I appreciate the kind words intended for the front desk staff. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered over the parking. Rest assured that this issue will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
IHGCare
Madison WI
Reviewed January 2, 2013

After Christmas shopping trip to MOA with spouse and two teens. We had the standard 2 queen bedroom. enough space for the four of us but were gone most of the day. Staff was a bit curt at check-in...No issues with our stay. Shuttle to and from MOA was great.

1 Thank deejamm
Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I wanted to give my family a special mini vacation over the holidays. Since we are Green Bay Packers fan's, I decided to get tickets to the Packer/Viking game. I searched many hotel options/reviews and kept coming back to the Crowne Plaza MSP Airport/Mall of America for our stay. I am glad I did. Everything about the hotel exceeded MY expectations. Making the reservations was simple and the girl answered MANY questions that I had. When we arrived, our check in was fast, friendly and easy. We had reserved two 2 room suites, (they were on the 10th floor). Both of them were clean and neat. The beds were very comfortable. The elevators were pretty fast for such a busy weekend. The shuttle to the Mall of America ran on the hour just like they said it would. We also took the light rail to the Metrodome which I really enjoyed. Very easy to get to and comfortable to ride on. We also took the light rail over to the Mall of America. It runs every 10 minutes or so right by the hotel. All in all I was very pleased with everything about the hotel. All employees were very friendly and helpful. Michelle at the front desk was wonderful! The only one thing I would say is there are NO food options around this hotel so your only choice is to order something to be delivered or dine at the hotel restaurant, which is very nice and the food was great. The pool was big. (a little chilly but ok) The parking was very easy to get to and I really liked that I could park in a covered garage and then when we loaded up to leave it was very simple, pulled right up to the door, worked out fine! I will definitely stay at the hotel again the next time I am in the area!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room away from the elevators and "ice" rooms, they seem to be quieter...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ForsR, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and the amenities we have to offer. Please consider staying with us again next year when the Green Bay Packers are playing the MN. Vikings at home.

Rodney Fors
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was very excited to stay at this hotel, from the pictures it looked really nice. The pictures didn't lie, it was pretty and the rooms were cute. Below you will see a pros and cons list to sum up my experience.

Pros
Great location
Cute rooms
Comfortable beds and pillows

Cons
Paper work not in order when I checked in.

I checked in early, dropped off bags and didn't return until 11:30pm at night only to realize my room was very dirty -
No surfaces had been wiped off - cup rings on both night stands and desk.
White smears of drapes and bed skirt
Chunks of cookies - not little crumbs, i'm talking chunks in the middle of room, obviously it was never vacuumed or not vacuumed in the main areas.

The laundry soap they use has a strong odor - it's very noticeable with the bedsheets

The tub stop was pulled out and laying in the tub.

The company I work for paid for this room and when arriving no paper was complete, no one knew anything about what I was talking about, it was all very confusing. If I had thought I could maybe just switch to a clean room without a hassle I would have.

The day I left I tried calling the front desk and let it ring for about 5min thinking they were busy - I finally got annoyed and called the hotel with my cellphone to see if they would answer thinking it was an outside caller. I'm really not sure what was wrong with the phone in my room since they showed no one calling the front desk from my room (I never hung up my room phone when I called using my cellphone) It was the operator who was trying to help me figure out why the front desk was not seeing my call and he also helped answer my billing questions since I was never able to get through to the front desk. I also told him all the things wrong with my visit, he did apologize for everything and told me he would pass it on. The operator was very pleasant.

Looks like there have been many positive experiences for other quests at this hotel, not all can be good (unfortunately) If all rooms were signed off and checked by a housekeeping manager/supervisor after housekeepers cleaned them most of my issues wouldn't have happened.

Room Tip: Look at room before hauling all your stuff to the room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NationalGeographic1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear NationalGeographic1,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am pleased that you found our location convenient. Most importantly, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Janice A
IHCGare
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A friend and I checked in late (9pm) after a day at the mall of America and there were no rooms available at the time. For whatever reason, they had over booked. Having pre-paid, the staff made sure we could still have a room for the night a provided the meeting room portion of the Presidential suite with a sofabed and a roll-away bed. Even on a roll-away cot I had a good night sleep. I had never been at this hotel in any of my trips into the Minneapolis area. It does have some great perks being so close to both the light rail line to downtown and the mall. In the end, the hotel staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a room. I will stay here again if I am in Bloomington.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Booked this hotel thru Hotwire's learn-the-hotel-name-after-you-book program and was at first a little concerned given the age of this hotel and the complaints left by other reviewers. I was surprised to get a decent room despite having gone through Hotwire and not through Crowne Plaza directly. In my experience though, booking through Hotwire seems to get you a better room than if you go with Priceline, which in my experience tends to make some hotels cringe and thus give you one of their less popular rooms (limited room view, smaller room, lower-level floor, etc).

Pros: Location (airport is ~5 min away by car). Room was clean except for an used towel left in the bathroom by a previous guest. No visible stains on carpet and bathroom/tub/toilet were clean. +1 for having refrigerator and microwave in room (more of a cooler than refrigerator though). +1 for not having any funky smells in room upon first entrance. +1 for speedy elevator.

Cons: Age of hotel is apparent - without the Crowne Plaza logo on the top of the building, there is no way anyone would guess this building was not just an old office highrise. Parking garage is an issue too - the structure is not attached to the hotel so going back and forth from the car to your room is a hassle. Hotel guests share the garage with an office building next door so you're limited to certain sections of the garage. Parking stalls are small - a small SUV like a RAV4 or Honda CRV fits perfectly in the lines. Other larger cars will run the risk of getting their doors dinged by neighboring vehicles.

Neutral: Wifi was at first slow earlier in the afternoon but later that night, speeds increased to about 14Mbps down, 4Mbps up (pretty good for a hotel nowadays). Front Desk staff seem generally friendly if not a little patronizing and uninterested (e.g. zero eye contact, bored tone of voice, etc). As a test, I intentionally spoke to multiple front desk staff over my stay and there was definitely some variation in customer service so it's probably more an issue of one or two front desk rather than the whole staff.

Bottom line: I would be hesitant to spend the usual quoted $100-$120 a night to stay here. If you manage to snag a room here for $60-80, I would say go for it especially if you have an early flight in the morning. Next time I visit Minneapolis, I'll be trying another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear medresident427,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is nice to know that you liked our location. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.