“Above and Beyond”

Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America
Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A friend and I checked in late (9pm) after a day at the mall of America and there were no rooms available at the time. For whatever reason, they had over booked. Having pre-paid, the staff made sure we could still have a room for the night a provided the meeting room portion of the Presidential suite with a sofabed and a roll-away bed. Even on a roll-away cot I had a good night sleep. I had never been at this hotel in any of my trips into the Minneapolis area. It does have some great perks being so close to both the light rail line to downtown and the mall. In the end, the hotel staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a room. I will stay here again if I am in Bloomington.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Booked this hotel thru Hotwire's learn-the-hotel-name-after-you-book program and was at first a little concerned given the age of this hotel and the complaints left by other reviewers. I was surprised to get a decent room despite having gone through Hotwire and not through Crowne Plaza directly. In my experience though, booking through Hotwire seems to get you a better room than if you go with Priceline, which in my experience tends to make some hotels cringe and thus give you one of their less popular rooms (limited room view, smaller room, lower-level floor, etc).

Pros: Location (airport is ~5 min away by car). Room was clean except for an used towel left in the bathroom by a previous guest. No visible stains on carpet and bathroom/tub/toilet were clean. +1 for having refrigerator and microwave in room (more of a cooler than refrigerator though). +1 for not having any funky smells in room upon first entrance. +1 for speedy elevator.

Cons: Age of hotel is apparent - without the Crowne Plaza logo on the top of the building, there is no way anyone would guess this building was not just an old office highrise. Parking garage is an issue too - the structure is not attached to the hotel so going back and forth from the car to your room is a hassle. Hotel guests share the garage with an office building next door so you're limited to certain sections of the garage. Parking stalls are small - a small SUV like a RAV4 or Honda CRV fits perfectly in the lines. Other larger cars will run the risk of getting their doors dinged by neighboring vehicles.

Neutral: Wifi was at first slow earlier in the afternoon but later that night, speeds increased to about 14Mbps down, 4Mbps up (pretty good for a hotel nowadays). Front Desk staff seem generally friendly if not a little patronizing and uninterested (e.g. zero eye contact, bored tone of voice, etc). As a test, I intentionally spoke to multiple front desk staff over my stay and there was definitely some variation in customer service so it's probably more an issue of one or two front desk rather than the whole staff.

Bottom line: I would be hesitant to spend the usual quoted $100-$120 a night to stay here. If you manage to snag a room here for $60-80, I would say go for it especially if you have an early flight in the morning. Next time I visit Minneapolis, I'll be trying another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear medresident427,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is nice to know that you liked our location. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Not only is this hotel a great place to stay and shop, but the cookies in the concierge room were delicious! We had to layover in Minneapolis and booked the Crowne Plaza because of its proximity to the airport as well as to the Mall of America. The drivers were courteous, on time and very accomodating with our transportation needs. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to anyone who has a few hours to spend at the Mall. Too bad my husband was a bit tired; I could have stayed two or three more hours.

The cookies and snacks available in the concierge room were delicious. A great place to unwind and recharge batteries.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed at this Crowne Plaza due to it's close proximity to the Mall of America. Was a friendly greeting upon arival. Had a 2 double bed room, but was a little tight. The room was clean, did have to do some hunting to find the ice bucket and water glasses. After making in room coffee, I found there was no cream or sugar in the room, but there was a coffee shop downstairs (how convenient). There is an aiport and mall shuttle, but I didn't utilize either of these due to reading the other reviews about it. Bar drinks were slightly overpriced (I know a hotel bar is usually hight) paid around $6 for a draft beer, and $6.75 for a well vodka/sprite. The waitress on the first night didn't seem to want to be bothered, they were cleaning up the bar and I asked if it was too late to order another drink (I would assume they'd take that as a hint) they said it wasn't, but I wasn't able to order for another 15min.

There was an interesting swingers party going on in the hotel, which caused us to see things that we didn't want to see (skimpy dressed males/females and obvious touching in the lobby area) They should have controlled that party a bit better as I know there were kids staying at that hotel, and I know I wouldn't want my kids to see that.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night and had a nice stay. The rooms were clean and the staff very friendly. The restaurant offered a good variety of meals and service was very fast. We will surely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed at the Crown Plaza on a business trip. Even though the hotel is close to the airport, I rarely heard the jets passing overhead. It is also close to the Mall of America if you are looking to shop or kill some time. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and the free wifi was fast. A delicious breakfast was delivered to my room at the scheduled time in the morning and the shower was enjoyable (plenty of hot water and no annoying sounds from the plumbing). All of the staff that I encountered were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: My room was on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I liked everything about this hotel. It had a bar and restaurant so we didn't have to go out into the cold weather. It also had a Caribou Coffee located inside the building too. The room was nice and clean. Bed was comfortable and they had lots of pillows there for us too! Pool is big and the whirlpool was great after a long day of shopping at the Mall of America. Staff was very polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Being on the 8th floor we had a great view of the city after the sun went down.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple