“Close to mall”

Ranked #34 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
winnipeg
“Close to mall”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel is close to the mall and Ikea. As stated before, it is obviously an older hotel. I agree with another traveler we booked over hotwire and anything over $100 would be too much. The room ventilation leaves a little to be desired as it appears there is no way for you to get fresh air just recirculate the existing air with a fan. Lots of little things are broken or missing like no cover for the remote battery compartment and the batteries kept falling out. Two rolls of toilet paper almost empty but no toilet rolls to be had anywhere ---had to hunt down the cleaning cart for some. The air conditioning unit is broken and coming way from the wall and a piece of trim had fallen off the counter undet the TV. The room however was clean, something that is important to me. When I called the desk to have the second non working remote replaced they took their sweet time and the fellow at the desk seemed uninterested. They did eventually replace it with a working one. The check- in however was smooth and timely.
When sitting in the dining room in front of the windows I noticed the blinds were filthy. The manager happened to go by and he looked and ackowledged it and was gracious. However, they should have done something for the customer... even a free coffee would be nice.. I paid to sit beside very dirty dining room blinds. If upgrades are done consistently this place could be better. But not at all a bad place to stay if you don't mind the small annoyances.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Watertown, South Dakota
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This hotel is quite nice. Rooms are well appointed and fairly good size. It is really close to MSP International airport. And their park n fly rates are very convenient and affordable. I stay here often.

Room Tip: The concierge floor is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed one night as we had friends in from out of town staying there. Spent the day at the fair and wanted to play games and have cocktails and not have to drive home. Check in was quick and very professional, it was nice to be recognized as a Priority Club member. We had a suite and liked the extra room, refrigerator, coffee pot, two TV's and microwave. We were able to organize the room so we could sit around the table. I think the parking in the ramp and taking the walkway to the hotel is a little putzy, but we only stayed one night. The pool and whirlpool looked huge, but didn't try them. Breakfast was $12 for the buffet, and it had plenty of choices.
I do still prefer the Hyatt Place as it had a free breakfast and the rooms were even bigger, had all of the above, and a sink. Internet was free at both hotels but also slow at both.

Room Tip: I liked the suites primarily for the refrig and more room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We did a very quick overnight between connecting flights. We called the shuttle while exiting baggage claim and as we arrived at the shuttle stop, they drove off. We had to wait another 15 minutes for the shuttle to return. It wouldn't have been so bad but this was around 11pm and we needed to return to the airport for our connecting flight the next morning at 530am. The staff was friendly, the room clean but dated. Although we set a wake up call for 330am, I still like to have the alarm clock as a reference. It was blinking and showing the wrong time. Being exhausted from a long day it took a little while to figure out setting the time and ensuring all the alarms were turned off. Turns out, the alarm still went off at 220am. The bed was ok, but the pillows were unimpressive. A king bed with 6 mini pillows all very thin. As a platinum member at Priority Club, I really prefer the Holiday Express brand to the Crowne. This quick stay only confirmed my feelings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Globetrekers
Zadorasue, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Globetrekers,

Thank you for reviewing your visit to the Crowne Plaza. Good or bad, guest feedback is extremely important and it is how we learn where we can still improve. I was glad to read that you are a Platinum Priority Club Rewards Member and want to thank you for your continued loyalty.

If your plans bring you back to the area please feel free to contact me directly as I would like to ensure you have an excellent stay.

Tri-Cities, WA
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I flew to MSP for a quick early morning interview. I decided to use one of my favorite "last-minute-hotel-purchase" online services and ended up with the Crowne Plaza near the airport. I arrived in the late afternoon, so I decided to take the train to Mall of America (easy access from both airport terminals). Following an afternoon/evening of mall walking and general hanging out at the two computer stores, I decided to take the train back to the airport so that I could catch a hotel shuttle to the hotel. Little did I realize that the train actually stops in front of the hotel (America Avenue). I realized this the next day as I ventured towards my interview appointment.

This hotel property is nicely maintained, but is obviously an older property. The AC unit did very well in spite of the heat wave that the area was experiencing. The room was quiet, the bed was very comfortable, and the pillow selection perfect. The bathroom was very clean (one of the key factors in my reviews), however, the living area could have used a little extra care. The bed skirt (brown) appeared to have been used as a snot deposit for a previous guest.

The shuttle drivers were very friendly and offered advise about the area. The desk staff was quick and friendly, making check-in very easy.

A big plus for me was that they had free WiFi internet. This is not typical for a higher class hotel such as this one. I typically pay around $13 per night when I stay at a comparable hotel. It always struck me as funny that the hotels that charge more for a night's stay, typically nickel-and-dime you on everything, whereas the hotels that charge less (but are still nice) typically offer many of their amenities at no extra charge. Thanks MSP Crowne Plaza for providing free WiFi.

Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear finewine57,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza. I was pleased to read that your enjoyed our free WiFi and the convenience of the Metro-Transit Light Rail. I was also happy to read that you thought the bellman and front desk staff you encountered were friendly and helpful.

We look forward to having you as our guest again when you should return to the area.

Amherst, VA
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It is an ok place to stay. Rooms and beds were comfortable. Very convenient location for the mall. Light rail just around the corner so it was great for easy access. Shuttle drivers were all great, the hotel desk staff ok but not too friendly or interested. Arrived with maid still cleaning room which was fine, we left lugguge and headed to light rail for the mall. Free shuttle every 2 hours to mall during the week and every hour on the weekends, however we had just missed it on Thrusday afternoon, so took the metro. We were advised by shuttle driver that shuttle went to mall every 2 hours during the week and every hour until 10 p.m. on the weekends. However, we waited for almost 2 hours on Sunday night for pick up and when I called the hotel, I was informed shuttle stopped at 7 and would not send one to pick us up, suggested we take the metro back. When I told her what we had been informed she did not seem to really care. Also no soap was left in our room, I called each night to request soap which never came, so we had to purchase it, I guess they stop delivering soap on Wednesday,not sure how that works. FYI shampoo works in a pinch! Ipad would connect to internet but service was so slow could never connect to a website and they had advertised free internet service. Luckily, I was able to use my smart phone so was not a huge deal but hotel advertised free internet service & it should make sure it is available to everyone who chooses to use it. Breakfast at hotel was good but when I asked for 1 scrambled egg and bacon and was charged $12.00 I thought that was a little pricey. They did not just offer 1 egg and bacon, they had defined orders and waiter did not tell me I would be charged per item, so I was a little surprised when the check arrived. Overall, I would stay there again only because it is so convenient to the mall,light rail, the rate was reasonable and was not what I would call a horrible experience but a little more effort could be made to at least have the desk clerk aat the time of check out to ask if our stay was satisfactory, which never happened. Maybe it had to do with the fact we had no soap and he wanted us out of there!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Zadorasue, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Tpgowen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Crowne Plaza. I was pleased to read that you thought our location was ideal. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience so we know where to improve.

We look forward to your next visit to the Minneapolis area. Let me assure you we will work harder than ever to measure up to your travel needs.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Crowne Plaza was the host hotel for a national softball tournament held August 13 to 18. I have not one bad thing to say about this place. The staff stands out for their attention to detail, friendliness and positive attitudes. My room was quite comfortable. Many in our group appreciated the pool/hot tub and the workout facility. All first-rate. The restaurant/lounge area was more than satisfactory. And, I am grateful for the free parking and WI FI. An A+ for this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rich S
Zadorasue, Manager at Crowne Plaza MSP Airport - Mall of America, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Rich S,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel & Suites. I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again when your travels bring you back to Minneapolis!