“Decent choice near Mall of America”

Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Decent choice near Mall of America”
Reviewed June 30, 2007

I'm giving this stay 3 stars instead of 4 overall due to some foul ups with the room rate and a previously nice associate turning very rude. See below, it's the truth.

I recently spent 4 nights at this property which is located in close proximity to the Mal of America. Also, it is about a 10 minute shuttle ride from MSP airport. Shuttle service is also provided to the Mall.

Originally, I had planned on staying at the Residence Inn, Minneapolis Airport/Eagen. Yet, after being there for just 2 hours, I decided to move. When the manager told me he would charge me anyway, I opted to stay the night at the RI. However, after killing 2 spiders and a fly, attempting to sleep on the very lumpy bed, realizing that I was not close to anything except a sports bar restaurant, and not liking the overall ambience of the hotel (including some unsavory-looking guests), I opted to check out anyway at about 8:30 PM. (I'd arrived around 4). Also, the staff at the RI in Eagen was rude and mouthy, including the front desk clerk who is young enough to be my child! The only nice person was one of the shuttle drivers.

I'd made a reservation for the nights following my one-night stay at the Residence Inn. The shuttle driver dropped me off here, instead of the airport, thus saving me another call and another ride. When I arrived at the Courtyard, the nice desk supervisor assured me it was no problem to check in a day early! Everyone at the Courtyard was very nice.

I was assigned a room on the 3rd floor with 2 beds. The room was large, with a desk, armchair, desk chair and chest or drawers. The bathroom was normal sized, with the sink outside. Free, wired internet was available and it functioned well. The TV was about 25 inches with a good selection of channels including the Food network, and, as I recall, a couple shopping channels.

My only complaint about the room was the extraordinarily small nightstand. It was very low, and barely big enough for the phone and alarm clock. If you like to have a glass of water or something at night, get a bottle so you won't knock it off by mistake.

For the summer, Courtyards are offering free breakfast but this property did not participate in the plan. There were rates with breakfast, but the cost was more than I paid buying breakfast separately. Probably works out for families, but not solo travelers. I had a AAA rate of $94 which is a little higher than I like, but much lower than other places in the area.

I had an appetizer at the bar (pot stickers-YUCK!) and a few breakfasts and a burger in the restaurant. This is one of those rare Courtyards with a restaurant inside that serves 3 meals during the week, and Breakfast and Dinner on weekends. When I mentioned the lousy pot stickers in casual conversation at breakfast, the server came back and said breakfast was on them since I had indigestion all night! That was super nice.

The mall shuttle runs twice a hour. You just show up and hop on. Also, it picks up at the mall twice an hour so just be at the designated area about 10 or 40 minutes past the hour and you're good to go! No problems there.

The MOA is mainly a big, huge mall with an amusement park inside. There are numerous food options-full service and fast food, and overpriced. I think you can get a wristband to ride the rides for $25.00 which I guess is a good deal. Not being an amusement park user, I can't speak to that. This is probably a great place to see once, but after that, I see no need to return. Many of the stores are repeated several times throughout the mall-why, I don't know.

Incidentally, gas was about 50 cents cheaper here than other places lately, under $2.99 per gallon. Everything else, including tax, seemed to be a bit high.

I decided to stay an extra night though. Before I went to the desk on Saturday, I made sure my rate was available Sunday. No mention was made of any increase, and I knew that the place was less than half full based on a conversation with an associate. Imagine my surprise when , upon checkout, the rate on Sunday was TWICE what it was the prior nights.

When I went to the desk, the same man was there. He was VERY rude, swearing and swatting me away like a fly, pointing fingers and saying "you people always think you are right. Marriott ain't tellin' us what to do, we do what we want, our week starts Sunday, I told you what it would be...don't point at me, you shut up if you want me to help." (That is the absolute truth!!!! I am not making this up!)

So, I left, in tears and at 7:30 AM called his manager from the airport. She was just getting back from vacation. I explained everything to her, she apologized profusely, and not only adjusted the rate to the correct one (and she agreed with me that it WAS available-the associate set up the records incorrectly) and, for all the aggravation at her hotel and the R.I in Eagen, adjusted off one nights' room and tax, which is more than expected, not asked for, and much appreciated.

It was funny, I wrote her a lengthy email about how much I enjoyed the hotel, and I mentioned that rude associate as being helpful in prior encounters with him. So, imagine my shock when he was so nasty. Apparently, he works both the evening and overnight shifts alternately and had worked 11 days in a row. If there are staffing issues, the hotel needs to hire more people. Eleven days in a row is insanity!

All in all, I had a decent stay here and again, most of the associates were very nice and polite. Overall though, I was disappointed in both the Mall of America, and in Minneapolis as a whole. The city really "rolls up the sidewalks" on the weekends....there was NO ONE around.

The Bloomington/Minneapolis Airport Courtyard by the mall is a good place to stay to see the Mall or if you are catching a flight. By the way, there is a Wal-Mart about 3-4 blocks away, as well as a Denny's and a Walgreens.

• Liked — Overall, excellent staff and great location
  • Disliked — One persons' attitude which turned from nice to very rude
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank cruisermeg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hungarian first
Boston, MA
Reviewed November 13, 2006

This was my first time staying at this hotel. I usually stay at others in the area, but will now stay here instead. The rooms are oversized and well maintained. I especially liked the complimentary high speed and business center. Staff is very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank goalie21
Tucson
Reviewed November 4, 2006

This hotel is overpriced for what you get. I got a good sized but out of date room with a window AC/heater instead of a thermostat. The soundproofing was not good. I could hear the TV and conversations in the next room. They were not partying, it was just normal noise. The traffic noise from the freeway was also quite loud. I had to put the radio on white noise so I could sleep. The staff was courteous and the bed was comfortable. There is coffee but no breakfast included. I should have gotten more for $192.

If you are looking for an overnight airport stay to catch a flight the next morning consider the Fairfield Inn in Mendota. I've stayed there several times. The room was just as nice as the Marriott at less than half the price and it's in a nice quiet neighborhood. I've had no noise or other problems there. It's not next to the mall but it does have a free shuttle to the the mall, the airport, and local restaurants. The shuttle drivers have always been helpful and courteous.

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank have powerpoint will travel
Bloomington
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I have stayed at this Courtyard three times this year and everytime I have received wonderful service! The shuttle service, front desk staff and restaurant staff are great. The rooms are very nice and clean. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Liked — service and location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
US
Reviewed August 4, 2006

Two nights at a normal Courtyard, service was good, shuttle left on time as scheduled and they even took me to the airport before the start time of 5:00AM. All with a friendly and kind conversation that made you feel as a long time guest to this particular location.

Room was large, clean and room service was quick. Bathroom looks like a hospital but that would be my only complain.

• Liked — Location adn Shuttle service
  • Disliked — No safe in the room, it is a the shopping meca of MN and people have money in the room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
the netherlands
Reviewed July 18, 2006

We had to stay at this hotel for 1 night because we couldn't get a connecting flight after our flight from Amsterdam. Arrived at the airport we had to call for shuttle service. It was there in 10 minutes already.
Nice room, very good bed! We had booked a family fun package incluive of breakfast, pizza and soft drink. unfortunately there was no pizza (anymore?) but the lady of the restaurant was a great help in chosing something else! We had a nice salad, desserts etc!
they even gave us an ice cream!
Normally we are staying at Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons etc around the world but their service sometimes is a lot worse than in this hotel!
very close to the Mall of America (shuttle) good breakfast (again very friendly staff).
Lot of services at the hotel like business center, ATM, litlle shop etc etc.will defintely sta here again when in Minneapolis!
Great hotel, great staff, great service, great rooms!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Stayed here for the weekend. Room was very clean and comfortable. Very close to the Mall of America. The pool was nice, but the whirlpool was very small and crowded after a day of shopping. We will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed March 2006