“Good choice close to Mall of America”

Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Aurora, Illinois
“Good choice close to Mall of America”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Not a bad place to stay -- a typical Courtyard, close to Mall of America. Staff was friendly and the room was clean -- the free shuttle to the mall was a bonus. The neighborhood appeared to be decent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate our guests who take the time to give us feedback I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the free shuttle to the mall of america.
I hope you will consider us again in the future.

952-876-0100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Good location close to Mall of America and has an excellent on site restaurant and bar, quite superior to most Courtyards that I stay at. However they are in process of updating you could see all the mattresses outside in the dumpster. Unfortunately my room didn't appear updated yet especially the mattress so you might want to request this when making your reservation or checking in. Services are superior but the face lift in the rooms needs to be completed but definitely in process.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Crossbonz72 .
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for you review, I truly value the observations of our guests as it allows us to improve our service. I apologize that the room you stayed in had not yet received one of our new beds. As you observed we were in the process of upgrading the beds in the hotel. We are happy to say the project is completed..
If your travels find you in the area again I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights earlier this month and had a great experience. I called the hotel upon arrival to MSP and was told the shuttle would be at the airport to pick me up in 15 minutes. The wait time was about right and I was at the hotel in no time (friendly shuttle bus driver as well!).

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted by the front desk staff, who made the check-in process quick and painless. My room on the 4th floor was wonderful - 2 beds, clean bathroom and enough room to do my morning workout. I also ate at the hotel restaurant and enjoyed their breakfast buffet (lots of food to choose from!).

I had a wonderful stay and plan on staying here again the next time I am in town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank depechegirl02
Thank you for your kind review. I hope you stay with us again if your travels find you in our area.

Minnesota
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We traveled here with a sports team in July.

First the good: The Courtyard is very convenient to the Mall of America and other places in and around Bloomington. The lobby area is comfortable and nicely decorated - as in most Courtyards. The rooms with two beds were extremely spacious. The king rooms that I saw were not as spacious. We travel with a twin sized blow up bed for our kids and we could have fit two of them in our room with two beds. The beds and room were very comfortable. The workout area was nice and had good quality equipment.

The so-so: The pool is very small and only 5 feet deep. There is a hot tub. The pool area was extremely hot so it was difficult to sit in there and watch kids because it was so uncomfortable. Luckily, there is a small outdoor patio adjacent to the pool, with floor to ceiling windows so you can sit on the patio and see the pool. We used this patio for outdoor gatherings for our group, which was a nice amenity. The bathroom was good, other than there isn't a lot of space on the bathroom vanity. Also, the hairdryer is small and underpowered, so if you need a good hairdryer, bring your own.

The bad: There is no complimentary breakfast here. Front desk staff were really pretty unhelpful and looked extremely unhappy most of the time. As a group, they were grumpy and seemed generally like they felt "put-upon" with any request - which were pretty few from our group. At one point we had a team meal and there was a lot of garbage outside and no room in the garbage cans. I went in and asked for a large garbage bag to put all of the garbage in and clean up our area. It seemed like I'd asked for them to do something huge, they told me to wait and they'd call someone, I waited for about 15 minutes and no one ever came, so I told them I was not going to wait anymore. They acted as if I had inconvenienced them with my effort to help clean up. Then they told me that they would send someone out to clean up in a minute, that we didn't need to do it. The front desk person next appeared with a garbage bag which he just handed to our group. There was no "thanks for your help in cleaning this up, etc." There was no effort to greet us as we came in or out of the hotel, etc. This is very unusual poor customer service in my experience with Courtyard properties. If they could improve the customer service at the front desk, I would have given this property a 4.

Room Tip: If you need space, as for a room with two beds vs a King room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. We pride ourselves on the service at this hotel and you didn't experience that. You should never be left to take care of your own area. This did not happen this time. I have discussed your comments with our Front Desk Manager and Food and Beverage Manager as this is not Marriott standards or ours.
If your travels find you in the area again and your will to give us a second chance, I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect.

Brookings
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with friends for a Birthday. I conteplated giving this hotel 4 stars......The rooms are nice, well layed out, comforable. The pool area is warm, inviting, lots of sitting. But then we went down for breakfast in the morning. The breakfast layout is the BEST I have ever seen. They have all the usual cold breakfast as well as the waffles, then you keep going and the chef is preparing hot food for you. We had a choice of Eggs, Sausage patties, or Biscuits and Gravy. I was extrememly impressed!!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Virginia H
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate our guests who take the time to give us feedback I am thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the Pool and the breakfast buffet.
I hope you will consider us again in the future.
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I made reservations from the airport and called the hotel for a shuttle pick-up on the evening of July 17th 2014. The phone conversation that took place still makes me think whether it was a bad nightmare !! The front desk associate who answered the phone the second time would not disclose his name and his reason was that "he did not know me". How I wish I could have somehow recorded this call. I will save the gory details as to what transpired as I have written to the GM and Front Desk Manager.
The highlight of the trip was the super efficient & super nice bar-tender. The room was surely nice but then you can expect anything less from a Courtyard by Marriott !!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for you review, the comments and observations of our guests help improve our service. I never want to hear that an associate was unfriendly. I truly apologize for that impression they left with you. Marriott’s Service training is one of the top ranked programs in the industry. After reading your review we are implementing refresher training for all of our associates not just the gentleman you spoke with first. The first and last thing you should remember is how friendly the staff was and how they went out of their way to accommodate your needs. The Front Desk Manager and I have discussed your review at length. This is not Marriott or our standards here at the property. I hope if you travel to the area again you will give us a second chance.

Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Great stay. Very good location to Mall of America. And nice restaurant close by in walking distance.Rooms were clean. Good neighborhood. I would come back again to stay here. Airport was close and no complaints for me at all.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluedove1943
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate the comments and observations of our guests.