“Nice Hotel- Horrible Pool! ”

Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
“Nice Hotel- Horrible Pool! ”
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Room was big and clean. The beds were comfortable. Pool was freezing!! They claim it's heated but must only heat it to 68 degrees or less which was too cold for my family and everyone else in the pool! We thought about trying next day but people in elevator said it was still too cold. We paid for heated underground parking but had a hard time getting a spot because people didn't park right and it was very tight quarters. We got the American doll package and my daughter loved the doll bed and we loved the coupon book! Based off the pool alone we will likely choose another hotel next time we go to visit friends and go to Mall of America as my family is all big swimmers! For persons not wanting a pool I would recommend this hotel!

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Legalgrl09
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize that the pool temperature seemed cold I just took a reading myself and it was 80 degrees which is on the low end of the range we need to keep it at. Our local regulations require us to keep the pool temperature between 80-84 degrees. I’ve instructed our engineer to keep it at 84 degrees as this temperature can fluctuate with heavier use. We pride ourselves on the condition of our hotel and the comfort of our guests. If your travels find you in the area again I hope you will give us a second chance.

Darryn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Hungarian first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stay here often when in Minneapolis, but it feels as though it is getting worn and is not being taken care of. Unfortunately, I am beginning to see that with all of the Marriott family. As examples, I attached two pictures. One is of a chair that is in the lobby. It wasn't the only one in this shape, so very disappointing. The other picture is of the wall in my room. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it looks like someone splashed/spilled something dark all over the wall. This substance dripped all the way down the wall, and looked really horrible.

While they have tried to update the rooms, this Courtyard still has the furniture that looks like it is from the 60's. It has the really small, short nightstands. And the dresser that also holds the TV is so short that it hits right about my kneecap. Newer carpets help, but the horrible old furniture really needs to be replaced, and bathroom feels old. The one good thing is that they have a covering for the window that pulls down behind the blinds, so it really blocks out the light.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for you review, I truly value the observations of our guests as it allows us to improve our service. I apologize for the condition issues you found in your room. I can assure this is not our standard and I will be following up on this issue. I will be also following up on the chairs you pointed out. This too is not our standard. If these chairs are in need of repair and or replacement they will be.
If your travels find you in the area again I hope you give us a second chance to make things right.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here for a lil family get away with 2 other families and it turned out better than expected! I called and made reservations about a month prior and to make sure we got connecting rooms since other family members would be staying with us. We were told that can't be guaranteed as it was based on availability, understandably. So we check in, which was a breeze, and get to our rooms and realize the RSVP people did not give the rooms we requested which was a King w/pull out connecting to a Double Queen room. The rooms were connecting but the King Room only had a chair and not a pull out which wouldn't have been big enough. So I made a call to the Front Desk and she fixed the problem immediately and put us in a King Suite, connected to a Double Queen Room. The room size was perfect, with a nice sitting area and a separate area with the King Bed. The beds were comfy. Rooms were clean and large. The Bar Area in the the lobby was nice but spendy drinks...Unfortunately the pool was cold so the kids didn't swim for more than 15 minutes and the hot tub was too pack because of the cold pool. We took the shuttle to the mall which made for a long trip when having to pick up or drop off others at the airport. Also with all snow MN has received the parking spaces have been limited as well which makes for a long walk after you find a parking spot.

All in all a nice stay and will probably stay again.

Room Tip: 334 and 336 great connected rooms. 1 King Suite w/ sitting area connected to a Double Queen.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gavemmom
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. We truly appreciate our guests who take the time to give us feedback. We strive to improve ourselves with every day and every stay.
We look forward to your return!
MÉXICO
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed 4 nights. The hotel is well maintained. Had a room with jacuzzi, and mini fridge. The room was clean. We had breakfast at the restaurant, the buffet was nice, with fresh fruit that I really enjoy. People working in the breakfast area were amazingly nice, the waiters and the people in the kitchen always helping and smiling.
Love they had free shuttle to Mall of America!
Be back soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alnl99
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
I’m glad to hear how much you enjoyed the transportation to the Mall of America and the breakfast buffet in Jake’s Restaurant. Thank you for staying with us and hope your travels bring you back to us!

ND
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We just got home from a vacation in the Bahamas. We were held up on our way home because of cancelled flights. Our agent booked us a room for 2 nights at the Courtyard. It was awesome. Couldn't have asked for a nicer staff. The bartender was great and the food at Jakes was wonderful. We used the shuttle service to go to the Mall during our stay. The drivers were very great. They were so apologetic when they were late picking us up. Who could blame them...the roads were terrible and the drivers were all very cautious. Thank you to everyone at the Courtyard for making our two day delay getting home such a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It’s experiences you describe that make our jobs worthwhile. I will make sure I pass your comments on to all the drivers and our front office team They are the ones that drive the great customer service you described in your review.
We hope to see you again if your travels find you in our area.
Sioux City
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here the weekend of Feb. 14. We haven't stayed here for a few years and decided to go back since quite honestly, other rooms in the area were a lot more expensive (Valentines Day?). Front desk was pleasant at check-in and I requested the underground parking. He quoted $10.00 a day and I said fine. More on that later.... We had room 713, top floor with big balcony facing I-494. Slightly noisy but not bad. If you want quiet, choose the S side of the hotel. Room was clean, bed comfortable, HD channels, adequate WiFi. Bar was always hopping ( great bartender by the way). Jakes had pretty good food. Free coffee in the morning. Since we were here last, the restaurant had been changed a little and minor updates had been done but it still looked a little dated. Now, my only complaint had to do with the lack of parking when the hotel was busy. We were at the bar and overheard people at the front complaining. This was after we got back from dinner and the underground was FULL. I had never had this problem before; I assumed the garage was access only to people who paid. I did get a space which wasn't really a space and complained. The front desk person said it was first come- first served! Well when I said I paid $10.00/day, she took the parking fee off my bill for all 4 days. Why was I charged to begin with? My suggestion IS to charge $10.00/day but only allow access to those who pay. Regardless, we shall return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank FergusMillie
Thank you for you review, It helps us serve our guests better. I first want to apologize for the lack of parking you experienced while with us. With the large amounts of snow we’ve been having we did lose some parking spots. This combined with above normal amount of vehicles on valentines weekend caused us to run out of parking spots. I can assure you that this is not normal. Only people that pay for parking are usually allowed to park in the heated underground parking. This particular time we need to accommodate our guests. As you experienced, if you didn’t get what you paid for we don’t charge you. I always consider that the difference between Marriott and other brands.
If you find yourself in the area I hope you will think of us for your lodging needs.
Darryn Maloney
Minnesota
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for a business meeting. The staff was wonderful, very friendly, always wanting to help in anyway they could. Room was clean, but the bed was in need of being replaced as every time you rolled over the springs sprung. Meeting facilities were nice. Food was good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Darrynm, General Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback as it helps us improve. I’m glad to hear how much you enjoyed some of the amenities Also, I'm happy you had a chance to see our newly remodeled banquets spaces. If your travels find you in the area again I hope you stay with us.