“Should have their flag stripped!”

Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America
Ranked #25 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here before flying out. Booked it on Priceline. The check in process was easy enough but when we got to the room it was in sad condition. The bed was so bad you could feel the springs poking you. Having stayed in courtyards on many occasions this place lacked in the overall quality you expect from this brand. On a positive note...it is quite close to the airport but so are many other hotels. I would bypass this one until they remodel their rooms and get up to the quality of other hotels in this brand.

• Stayed: June 2013
Darrynm, Manager at Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you for you review, I truly value the observations of our guests as it allows us to improve our service. I apologize for the condition of your bed when you stayed with us. Our rooms are inspected daily
First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I truly apologize for the experience you had while staying with us. We pride ourselves on the condition of our hotel and especially our rooms and you didn't experience that. We inspect the rooms and the beds daily for condition and replace what is needed before renting it out to the next guest. This did not happen this time. I have passed your comments on to our Chief Engineer and our Director of Housekeeping so they can follow up.
If your travels find you in the area again and your will to give us a second chance, I invite you to contact me personally to arrange for your accommodations. I will ensure you're stay is perfect. Darryn Maloney

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

As with other Courtyard's we've stayed at this property was nice. Room was clean, smelled good and bed comfortable. LOVED the room darkening shades! Spectacular!

Except for the man at checkin, who did a great job making sure we had a room as originally requested online, the front desk staff was not very friendly and only said "Hi" and "Good morning" after I did every single time I approached the front desk during our 3-night stay.

That being said, the cleaning lady and bell boy were very nice. :)

Location to MOA and other shopping was ideal.

For the price we pay for this hotel I am still disgusted that they do not have complimentary coffee in the lobby. Caribou for $2.50 per cup. What's up with that? I dont care if they have some sort of marketing agreement. Guests should come first. Coffee maker in room is old and coffee packets some of the cheapest.

Enjoyed the extra towels the maids left us but tissues ran out 2nd day and were never refilled even after calling front desk. Again, staff lacking basic customer service skills.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm truly sorry that a few of our staff made a negative impact on what sounded like an overall satisfying stay. You mentioned in your review the coffee available in the lobby for $2.50. In addition to our Caribou coffee in The Market we also offer complimentary coffee in the lobby next to the go board until 10am each morning. Being an airport property we have a lot of early risers and want to ensure they are properly caffeinated. In the last two weeks we’ve also replaced our 4 cup coffee makers in the room and upgraded them with pod style coffee brewers and coffee. I hope if your travels find you in the area you will consider us for your lodging.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Had a one night stay here for a business trip so I was in and out. The lobby was nice and spacious which is always a plus. The morning staff (sorry I can't remember his name) was very nice, but the two afternoon girls seemed like they didn't want to be bothered. I personally liked the decor in the guest rooms. I loved the blacked out shades that the room had and I loved the fact that even though they are right by the airport, I never heard a single plane. The bed was VERY comfortable; that I didn't get even want to get up the next morning for my meeting. The only down fall about the rooms is that my room wasn't cleaned like it should of been. There was a lot of dust on the headboards and I don't think they vacuumed the carpet. Other than that, it was decent stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value feedback that is positive or not so positive as it helps us improve. I’m glad to hear how much you enjoyed our beds and the blackout shades. I truly apologize that your room was not serviced properly. I have passed your comments on to our Director of Housekeeping so she can follow up.
If your travels find you in the area again I hope you stay with us.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott courtyard for 5 nights. Didn't like the energy of the room. I hated the mirrors close to the closet as you enter the washroom! It spooks me out. Beds were too soft. Next business's trip I would rather stay at the best western primrose. Friendly Front desk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for you review, the comments and observations of our guests help improve our service. I apologize the rooms layout was distracting to you during your stay. I hope if you travel to the area again you will give us a second chance. We have 4 different room types that offer a different layout. Perhaps we can find one that would make you feel comfortable and at home.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've been visiting this property off and on over the past five years or so. It used to be much better. Being a Marriott point maven, I'd recommend you now consider the SpringHill Suites just a bit east of here instead.

On the plus side, this Courtyard has the updated lobby and associated amenities. But travel a few flights up the elevator and you're transported back to the darker, starker rooms of the past. I just can't get over how sparsely the room was appointed, and it's just old and worn. And loud through-the-window heat/a/c like a Motel 6.

The desk for business travel was a desk, period, full stop. Just a plain desk that ergonomically was a bit too high, and a seat that sat a bit too low. But I can live with that. I cannot live without reliable internet service in the room.

My laptop would not connect with the wireless network in my area. Trying all the regular fixes unsuccessfully (I did get the nearby Residence Inn at glacially slow speeds across the parking lot) I called the front desk. Long story short, after three calls to the front desk I was finally connected to their third-party IT support. Nice person, but 45 minutes later I still did not have connectivity. I settled for a slow connection to their Convention Center network, and just made the best of it. But this is no way for me to do business.

As I mentioned, there is a SpringHill Suites down the road about a mile and closer to the airport. It's new, the rooms make more sense for business and relaxing, things work, and the front desk is impeccable at getting things right the first time or fixed the first time. I'll meet you in the lobby for beers some evening. I'll buy with the $20 less this property is compared to the Courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the highway - the Residence Inn side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I booked one night at the last-minute for a little getaway. The hotel is in a great location for MOA and IKEA, as well as many good restaurants.

The hotel was very busy, but it was very quiet. We couldn't hear any hallway noise when we were in our room. Our room faced the Interstate, but we didn't find the noise to be disruptive. The room-darkening shades made the room VERY dark, which made it great for sleeping in! We had a king-room and the bed was very comfortable. The bed faced the window, instead of the wall, which I've never seen in a hotel before, but it was a homey touch.

The pool was nice, and a good temperature.

The only negative I can think of is that the rooms do not have a refrigerator or microwave. We wished we had one when we had leftovers from our dinner out.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Overall, I give this hotel 2 thumbs up!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review. I will pass your comments on to the entire staff. We appreciate you staying with us.
Darryn

Reviewed May 29, 2013

One night stay enroute to the Minnesota northwoods for the Memorial weekend. The hotel was packed, but still quiet overall. Freeway proximity was not a noise concern for us in our room. (We were road-facing) Upgraded to spa room, very clean, fixtures in good shape, king bed very comfortable. The staff was VERY friendly and attentive even with the large volume of guests in the hotel that night. Good location if you need to be in the Mall of America area.

Room Tip: Follow your GPS when you arrive - the access road in is a little unusual the first time you drive to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. I hope you stay with us again if your travels find you in our area.
Darryn