Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Bloomington
Ranked #41 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed June 7, 2013

In fairness, the night woman I encountered at the front desk who was on until closing was the salvation. The room was dirty, the prints on furniture, grimy counter tops, and all around gross stickiness and smell was awful. Had I not spent the cab fair to get there from a postponed flight and prepaid via priceline I would have slept in the airport.

There was construction on the roof that was done by 6:00 pm but the workers were still removing ladders and tools from outside my window until dark which resulted in a terrible racket that kept me awake and suspect of leaving my room for any reason after dark. Air/heater was loud and had to turn off freezer as loud banging noise all night.

The smells in the common area, hallway, were more overpowering that the smell of the smoking room I was assigned. Had this crawling feeling that even a shower couldn't shake and without shuttle to airport I spent more on cab than I did on nightly room rent. Cabs smelled better and were cleaner than my room. Furniture was broken and worn and needed polished to remove grimy fingerprints. Was by far worse stay I've had in years.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ishbinshawn

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would highly recommend against staying at this hotel. The hotel overall is very smoky, and many of the rooms have a very bad odor. There was often a rock in the (locked) side door to hold it open for anyone to come in at night. I also witnessed several people smoking marijuana in their side parking lot.

After staying for around a week, one of the hotel guests threatened to assault me in same side parking lot. I didn't hold the door for him, and I'm glad I didn't, because he turned out to be a very dangerous person. The hotel manager handled this poorly, and I think he is very incompetent.

I've seen several of the manger responses on here to poor reviews, and they always start with a "Thank you" from the hotel manager, but it's very obvious that this is not a sincere response. This hotel is managed very poorly, and you should definitely not stay here, ever! It's disgusting and a dangerous place

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Philip K
Reviewed May 27, 2013

As soon as I got there I knew it would be bad. I saw the front desk clerk walk away as I was walking in the front door. And I could hear her using a computer while I waited. Then she spoke too softly and I said "I'm sorry" and she responded so sharply and rolled her eyes to say "yeah, I said do you have a reservation". When I got off the elevator the odor hit me. When I opened the room door it smelled worse. I immediately left. Didn't step two feet into the room. I told the front desk I didn't like it and she said "you didn't like it? Ok." Took the keys, no eye contact, and went on with what she wanted to do". Worse hotel in every way, ever.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Got2basahm
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the slight odor in the hallway and for not attending to your needs properly. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we are addressing each of the issues to make sure your experience is not repeated.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at blm@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at the Bloomington property from Mid April through Mid May, I cannot say enough good things about my time there. The staff was out of this world friendly & helpful.They made sure I had menus when I checked in, explained everything about the hotel & where things were located. Only had one maintenance request the entire time & it was the house phone. I did have 1 mix up on my housekeeping day but that was attended to by Ampy who came directly to my room to assure me it would be corrected immediately, & it was within 15 minutes. Sandy & Erika at the desk were superb as well. Ms. Harris in housekeeping was one of my favorites, always had a moment to chat in passing. I was so comfortable there & it all comes down to the wonderful people who are staffed there. Loved having the kitchenette & a full sized fridge, so helpful to not be stuck dinning out everyday. Not crazy about the pots & pans, but hey they worked. Wifi was always full strength, only wish there were a few more channels to choose from for tv, perhaps trade ESPN Classic & ESPN News for A&E or History Channel. Bed was comfortable as was the easy chair & ottoman. Great natural lighting. Parking lot & side walks were always kept plowed & shoveled. Trash rooms were never an issue & the laundry was spotless. I am currently in another ESA property in Tx & it is just as pleasurable as the Bloomington property. Thank you all for making a stressful move easier.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was no "home away from home"! It's extremely rundown especially in the rooms. The hardwood flooring in the kitchen was coming up, the sink and tub had cracks in it, the carpet was gross, and the TV channel selection is obviously geared towards men (basically all sports channels). The hallways smell like old food, and worst of all my kitchen was littered with crumbs on the counter top and in the corners of the floor. There are other cheap hotels in that area of Minne that are much better!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aw1999
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that the level of cleanliness in your room and in the hallways did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with staff to review our cleanliness standards and the how to perform a good inspection of each room, in order to ensure a situation like yours does not happen again.

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night. We were given a "Be Our Guest" coupon from a previous stay in another state last month.
We were in Minneapolis launching our gourmet coffee business. We decided to stay at the Staybridge but rooms were not available until 3pm. So we decided to stay at this location. Upon arrival I called and booked the room and make sure we could check in early. We went over and got our room.
The lobby was very nice and friendly front desk staff. The elevator had an odor and needs to be clean ASAP. The hallway had a bad odor and the carpet could stand to be replaced or cleaned. The room had an odor also (it may have been something someone was cooking). The corner in the bathroom was so so dirty. But the tub and sink appeared to be clean. The rack to hang your clothes on was dusty and dirty. The chair looks like something had been chewing on the side of it.
We went out and retuned to the hotel only to find out our bed and the pillows smelled like musk. The front desk was closed for the night so, we had to spray the bed with our room spray. It was a long night. We check out extra early!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My 4 month old daughter and I were on a trip to Iowa so she could meet her cousins and the weather turned bad so we left Iowa early and stayed at this motel waiting to fly out of Minneapolis. When I walked in, the desk clerk was very friendly, as was some of the guests who were already staying in the hotel. Check in was smooth and easy. The room was, for the most part, clean. I did not use the comforter because I have worked in a large motel before and know how rarely they get washed. The kitchen was neat/clean and the bathroom was decent.There were some stray hairs, but understandable. Being a female and with a small child by myself, im very aware of my surroundings and I felt safe here. I had a broken phone charger and the front desk was able to locate one I could borrow, very helpful. I would recommend this motel to anyone, especially with the price I paid through priceline. It was a smooth stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Tricia - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry that you joined us because of a storm; however, I am so glad that we were able to provide for you both, including sourcing a charger for your phone.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope you had a safe flight!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Airport - Eagan - South
Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Airport - Eagan - North
Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Eden Prairie - Valley View Road
Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Woodbury
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Bloomington West
SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport/Mall of America

Been to Extended Stay America - Minneapolis - Bloomington? Share your experiences!