“Great accomodations on the 6th flr”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rochester, MN
“Great accomodations on the 6th flr”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I spent one night there earlier this week. Let me preface this review by the fact I am a Platinum Priority Club member .... so we got a free upgrade to the top floor (not key coded access nor hospitality room) which seemed to have larger rooms with la oveseat and two chairs surrounding a very large flat screen HDTV. I also got a choice of other freebies and picked the free house wine since the only free domestic tap beer was Bud Lite (Summit is made 10 miles away but apparently not a domestic beer ?!). There was a free breakfast buffet option but not room service so we did not use it since we had plans for a event lunch the next day and paying an extra $10+ for a spouse to eat breakfast did not make sense. The room was huge and the king bed was very comfy with extra large pillows. Lighting was good too - this was not a business stay so we did not use the desk or internet. The bathroom was nice but not real large ... my favorite is a bathroom with the tub/shower and toilet in a separate room from the sink and unfortunately many do not offer that. There were "goodies" galore: high end shampoo, conditioner, lotion of course but also a scented pillow spray, chocolate, makeup mini-kit, and more. Excellent large soft towels plus there was a single bath robe hanging there but it was so warm this week it did not appeal even though the room was very cool and comfortable although the AC fan was fairly noisy.

The staff was friendly and in the morning the waitress went the extra mile to get us free lobby coffees from the back room; we saw it sitting there when we took a quick walk to the car but 10 min later it was gone, apparently only out until 9am. We also used the jetted hot tub which was large and had really good jet action on sore backs & legs. Lots of parking although the walk up hill to the lobby could be slick in winter. Our main comparison is to the Madison, WI Crowne Plaza where we'd stayed in past years and is a much larger elegant lobby/atrium and totally different style of hotel: it has a dark wood look while this property is much more modern with a sleek Euro lighting look.

One gotcha: pay attention to the "West" part of the hotel name as the Trip Advisor name is more appropriate than what I saw on the IHG Crowne Plaza web site: BLOOMINGTON MSP AIRPORT / MOA (Mall Of America). This hotel is at least 8 miles west of the MSP airport terminal and 6 miles from MOA on a very heavily traffic I-494. There is another Crowne Plaza much closer to those. It was not a problem for us having a lunch meeting just 4 miles north of the hotel off highway 100 the next day, but if you expect a short no traffic shuttle to MSP or MOA there are many hotels much closer. That said, this was an very good hotel for money spent and our purposes on this stay - we'd recommend it and if needing to stay in the SW metro it fits.

Room Tip: We heard no I=494 noise but probably a room farthest to the south is best.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for the review. I'm glad we were able to make your visit a great one. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
La Crosse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

At first when we pulled up to the hotel, the outside was not very eye catching BUT when we got inside I was very pleased. The lobby was clean and the staff was great. We got checked in early with no problem. The staff and front desk manager were a huge help with any questions we had. The room was very clean & the pool. The Shuttle driver was OUTSTANDING!!! He told us great places to eat & go. He was so outgoing and friendly. This is my new hotel to stay at when we visit the MOA!! THANKS AGAIN TO THE STAFF AND MANAGER FOR A GREAT STAY!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We are happy we made your stay a geat one and we are all happy to know that we will see you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed with a Park and Fly package on Saturday August 17th. Once we checked in we parked in the designated parking lot only to get out of the vehicle to a tire going flat. I had ran over something in the lot! We went and got Travis, from the front desk, to help. We called roadside assistance to come and Travis said they would take care of our room !!! He brought us bottles of water out to the parking lot as we were getting the tire changed! We cannot Thank You enough!!! Travis is an exemplary employee!! The Crowne Plaza is our destination stay in the Twin Cities!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much. It was the least I could do. We just wanted to make sure your trip started on the right foot and not on a flat tire.
Rockford, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a great property to stay at. They staff here is more than outgoing to make sure that guests are taken care of in a first class manner. I stayed here with my wife on the way back from a family vacation in Northern Minnesota. The value we got for the rate was awesome. Would highly recommend this property to anyone who needs to stay in the Minneapolis area. Close proximity to 494 and can get anywhere in the metro quickly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Only let down was 15 mins from the mall BUT they made up for it with their service and wonderful
Facility!!! Have been coming to MOA for the past 15 years and this has got to be the best yet! Check in was friendly, accommodating, and pleasant! Rooms were clean and working for a hotel I'm very picky knowing what typically goes on but I was very pleasantly surprised! Housekeeping was very thorough even with refreshing our room during our stay! Kudos to the team and only wished I booked an extra day to spend just in the hotel! The night my hubby and I picked up drinks to bring to our room after our swim the nice oriental bartender was very friendly and gave my kids bar snack to munch on! Maintenance was cleaning pool and jacuzzi Monday and again friendly! No wonder they were torchbearers and should be again! Thank you and can't wait to return!!! The whole hotel team we encountered were great!!!

1 Thank Joyce M
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Wow! Thank you. I have shown your review all around the hotel to all the staff. We are glad we could make your trip a success. We can't wait for you to come back and see us again.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Realized after check in this is an old Holiday Inn from the 70's. I stayed here when I was 10 and am now 48. I think it was called the Airport #2 Holiday Inn. Hotel has been upgraded nicely even thought it is older. It felt more like a Hotel Indigo than a Crowne Plaza. Very boutique-y instyle. My big compalint is no bath tubs in the new rooms. Although the bathrooms are lovely be ware they are shower only (just like Hotel Indigo's). If you don't have a car you won't want to stay here as it is not really within walking distance to much. I thought I was at the Apple Tree Sq. location Crowne Plaza when I booked. That is very close to Airport and MOA however it does cost more(naturally) due to the proximity to these locations. Staff was very nice and restaurant staff nice as well. Problems with noise from construction at present. This was not made known to me upon check-in or on the web site, as well as the shower only thing. Very Clean hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TexasFamilyOf4FromSA
TBlackwell, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that our hotel was not to your taste. We do appreciate the feedback though. Just to let you know incase you come to visit again in the future, we are leaving half of our rooms with bath tubs for those guests that prefer bath tubs. Thank you again for the review.
Riverbank, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

You won't need a rental car here. Wonderful shuttle goes to and from airport and Mall of America I rented a car but didn't need it. Great hotel with comfy beds and pillows. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Restaurant, bar, fitness room and nice pool. Will return!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. It's always good to hear we helped to make your trip a good one.