Crowne Plaza Hotel Minneapolis - Airport West Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“Park Stay Fly...”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We've used the Crowne Plaza twice for their "Park, Stay and Fly" service. I highly recommend this the next time you fly out early in the morning. Both times our flight was @ 6 am. It's soooo nice to go to the hotel the night before, enjoy the pool, exercise equipment, hot tub and sauna. Sleep like a baby and head out of town the following morning. Their shuttle starts @ 4am and runs every half hour I believe. When you get back from your flight, you call them and both times they were at the airport to pick us up in less than 10 minutes.

To do a "park and fly" for a week at a parking lot will cost you $84.00. Stay overnight here and it costs around $111.00. Well worth extending your vacation by another day for a few extra bucks. And, if you prefer, they will shuttle you to and from the Mall of America, no charge.

Rooms are nice, bar is nice and the staff is fabulous. In fact when we returned from Mexico in our sandals, I jumped in my van and it wouldn't start. It was 10 degrees outside. The shuttle driver brought us back to the lobby, the maintenance guy came out and jumped the van. "No charge sir, we're just glad you chose to stay with us". HOW NICE IS THAT???? Use this Park Stay and Fly Service, you won't be disappointed!

Thank you Crowne Plaza, we will use your service again for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dino17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Onaway, Michigan
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne that is next door to the Norman Pointe ll building near olive garden... which by the way is only .2 miles from the hotel. When we asked to be taken to Olive Garden, I specifically asked "how far ahead of our time to return should we call for a ride"? The desk clerk said to me.."just call when you are ready to return". We were only .2 miles away!!, So, I called approx 15 minutes before we wanted to return. We were told it would be 1+ hours!!!! We called at 6:20 and were picked up at 7:20 when the shuttle returned from the mall. I was livid! And the shuttle only goes to the mall 2 times in the evening?? Thats crazy. We asked why and were told.. "we are set up to cater to the business people of the area". Amazed at the responce is all I can say. We were there for business! AND they had at least 20 rooms filled for our group.
In addition to that, Towels were not picked up off the bathroom floor all week, AND, trash was not emptied daily in the bath, and I know for a reason that will not be discussed here. My room mate commented 2 times on dishes that sat outside peoples doors for the ENTIRE DAY! That was not good. They were there when we left in the morning, and still there when we returned after 4pm. So, that tells me, no one checks the hall.
There were a couple of nice things, the pool was huge, but unfortunatly I saw things floating near the bottom that looked like food. They do have a work out room, that is about the size of my closet, and was HOT. But the equipment (what there was of it) was nice, but had no operation directions on any of it.
The one solid good thing I can say, is that the restaurant, bar and the associated staff were good. The food was nice, waitstaff attentive and kind, drinks were good. However... the first night we did happy hour, the appitizers were advertised to be 1/2 off.. not. So, if you want an overall shoddy stay for what I feel is over priced, this is your place to stay.
Next time we will stay across the street where refrigirators do not cost $10, and there is a microwave in every room.

Room Tip: They do advertise a 'womens only' floor and 'adults only' floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Annette D
Winnipeg
Reviewed January 12, 2012

My Wife, my 8 yr old daughter, and myself were in Bloomington for 5 days for a Mall of America and Valley Fair trip. Crowne Plaza is perfectly situated between the two, with only a few minutes' drive to either. It's close to everything you'd need, really. Plenty of shopping and food choices within walking distance.

The place is very quiet. You don't hear the nearby freeway at all, you don't hear noise from the pool, you don't even hear people in the halls. The rooms are spacious and clean, the wifi is free, the TV is large with lots of channels, and the beds are very comfortable. My daughter loved having her own double bed! The hotel is well maintained, very clean, and had pretty much every amenity I would expect from a 3.5-star hotel. The pictures on their website are accurate. The decor is very up to date, so much so that they were still completing some of the renovations while we were there. I was very impressed with how the renos did not disturb any part of our stay in any way. If you didn't actually see the workers pass you in the hall, you would never have known they were there.

The pool/spa area is super clean and well maintained. We spent the beginning and end of each day here, and were thoroughly relaxed. Hot tub is large, has good heat and strong jets. Showers and towels at pool-side. There's not a lot that is specifically for kids at this hotel, but my daughter was here for Valley Fair and 'The Mall', even the pool was a bonus for her.

We only ate at the restaurant once during this stay. Food was great, a good kids menu, staff were friendly and accommodating, and the funky decor in the restaurant is really interesting.

We never used the room service, or the shuttle.

Room Tip: Rooms in the North/West wing have direct access to the pool and spa area. If you're in the South...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bsenka
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed January 3, 2012

This is a very nice, clean, and quiet hotel with friendly and helpful staff at the front desk, lounge, restaurant, shuttle drivers, and cleaning staff. The pool is huge and inviting, bed and pillows are wonderful. I highly recommend this location in spite of the confusing entrance location. We had a great time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dayna M
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2012

When I booked this hotel I was under the impression that I would be within minutes of the MOA. I went to the hotel to check in and was told I was in the wrong hotel! I was confused as was the person right behind me! The hotel I reserved was 7 miles down highway 494! Both say Bloomington and a person unfamiliar with street names would not know unless they look at the exact distance at time of booking.
When I got to the place I did reserve there was a person at the front desk who was also confused and thought she was near the airport.
With that said, I must say the hotel management tried to be accommodating. Even tho it was 8:00pm, they were willing to cancel my reservation no charge and even found me a room at the other hotel. Unfortunately, it was New Year's Eve and the only room they had was 2 double beds on a floor they said had a big party. So I stayed with my original reservation.
The hotel used to be a Holiday Inn and compared to other Crowne Plazas I have stayed in, it was not as elegant tho it tried. I reserved a room on the "executive floor" and did enjoy the amenities. Two bottles of Fiji water, eye mask, ear plugs, and linen spray. There was also a robe and slippers and when I asked for a second robe, I got it immediately.
The hallways still looked more industrial than elegant; more like an older basic hotel. It was quiet, tho, and that was a plus considering the night.
I would recommend this hotel as long as you want to be in this location. Had I known where it was and wanted to be in that location, I would have preferred to be in the Hotel Sofitel, but this was a good value.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank pjsharad
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Very nice rooms with extra comfy beds, reliable and fast wi-fi, spacious bathrooms. The place is impeccably clean, both the individual rooms and the common spaces. Our double queen room was SILENT! They also provide a nice selection of bathroom items and a "sleep kit" with ear plugs and an eye mask. Front desk service and maid service were attentaive and friendly.

The pool, spa, and sauna were all well-maintained and a great place to spend an hour relaxing in the evening. They do not serve breakfast however, there is an interesting restaurant on the premisis but our schedule did not allow us the opportunity to try it.

Mall of America, Southdale Mall, Edina, Bloomington, and the airport are all a quick drive away. This is a really good value for the price. I would enjoy staying there again.

Room Tip: Our second floor room faced the back parking lot but there was no noise whatsoever. The hotel seems...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cambium29
Wausau
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We have enjoyed staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Bloomington, Minn., several times when we've traveled to the Twin Cities. Rooms are spacious, clean, quiet. You can book into the executive wing for a few extra bucks; they also have a wing for women travelers. The lobby is very contemporary with a cool bar and cozy fire pit. Very nice swimming pool, hot tub, and dry sauna. Free paper, even on Sundays. Decent restaurant.

The location is ideal for trips to the Mall of America, or downtown Minneapolis, since the hotel is essentially on the south end of the Highway 100 freeway, at its junction with the 494 bypass. Very reasonale rates, especially on holiday weekends.

Room Tip: Check rates for the executive wing.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family