Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Tower, MN
“disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2010

We have spent more than 100 nights at this hotel over the years and have never been disappointed. WE arrived at 3 and were assigned room 304. This room is in a nook that prevents it from getting any natural light and faces the roof of the building. We asked that it be changed and were assigned another room. This room was great, but the bed was awful - very soft and uncomfortable. When I asked about it they said all the mattresses were the same. I spent our entire trip in pain from my back from sleeping on a too soft mattress. This has NEVER been a problem at this hotel, including the last time we stayed there, only 2 months ago. When we set out our dinner the second evening I reached into the dishwasher (which said"I'm Clean!") and found the entire load full of dirty dishes. Housekeeping had obviously ran the cycle because all the dishes now had baked on food. When I mentioned both my concerns at checkout I was blown off with a laugh about the bed "Yeah, a lot of people think our beds are too soft". When I asked why this had not been a concern before I was told that They must have left the boards under the beds. She then went on to say that when people raised that issue they put boards under the mattress. When I asked why we were not offered that option she said Oh I guess they didn't know. Next time we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LVSparks, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserve. Because vacations are very important, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

This was a great deal, I booked through the AAA website and got it for $99/night, now with all the taxes it was $18 more per night. But you get a very good breakfast (get there early if you want fresh fruit). And Mon to Thurs, they have a dinner meal. It is right across the street from the MOA, and the light rail station is right across the street. They will also shuttle you to the MOA on the hour and pick you up same time. The room was fine, the TV’s were old and the room could have used some paint and touch-up on the wall dents. The staff do you dishes in the dishwasher in your room daily. Change linen every 3 days. Pool was nice, but no hot tub. It is connected to Chevy’s (Mexican chain rest) and IHOP and TGIF is within the block.
Overall, a good deal, as we were too busy to spend much time in the room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Highly Recommended. Will use Homewood Suite chain again.

Excellent Location, Good Large and Clean Rooms, Good Breakfast, Excellent Staff, Free Wifi and Free local drop/pickup service. Room servicing was excellent.

2 mins walk across the road to Mall of America and the Malls bus/tram station for downtown etc. I viewed this as a suite hotel that had an optional breakfast and evening dinner service but in the end I never used the kitchen in the suite.

A nice touch is the hot breakfast options varies every day so you dont get bored. Same with the evening snack, but i only tried that once. Chevys, IHOP, TGI across the carpark, and about 3million other food places in the mall just 5 mins across the road.

Free Wifi in room is wired only, but works well. Business Centre has PCs with printers used by everyone for printing flight checkins,

I used the free drop-off service every day (office 2kms away) and it was like a free taxi service with pleasant and helpful and chatty drivers (girls and boys) very pleasnat and helpful with a human touch, not the normal standoff-ish "toe the company line" attitude. They were great. Front desk staff great with a human touch too. The drivers and their attitude really are great ambassadors for the brand though - other hotels should take note of this.

Interestingly it seemed that unlike most hotels this one is say 90% full during the week and always 100% full at the weekends due to people coming to visit the Mall. I think this gets worse as you approach Christmas months.

All in all the Homewood Suites Mall of America did somehow feel like "walking home, feeling relaxed" when u came back in the evening. I know this sounds cheesey, but that really is how it felt to me, Thanks to everyone.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

We stayed here for a few nights in August and really liked this hotel. It was within walking distance to the mall and the rooms are all suites with kitchenettes. The morning complimentary breakfast was good quality and had something for everybody. They have freshly brewed coffee in lobby 24/7. We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay close to mall.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Some positives about the hotel: The location was excellent with easy walking distance to the Mall of America. The suite was large. A living room, kitchen with eating/work area as well as a separate bedroom. There was a separate vanity area and bathroom area. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet, especially considering the location near the airport. The staff of the hotel was friendly.

The negative for me was the lack of wireless Internet access int he guest rooms. I travel with an iPad, so this was very inconvenient for me. I was surprised that a hotel that caters to long-term business travelers wouldn't have wireless Internet access in the rooms. I was told that wireless access would be installed in the future. Other negatives were the lack of a whirlpool in the swimming area and the outdated television sets, and lack of many popular cable channels.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank rss786
southern california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

We've stayed and several Homewood Suites and they are usually very comfortable and nice; and this one was too. There was a problem with our reservation. We arrived fairly late and the room was not the configuration we had specified in our reservation a month before. Initially they said that everything was sold out and that they couldn't change anything. But they got ahold of the GM by phone and somehow came up with a way to get us into the room we had reserved so all's well that ends well. Then they sent us a bag of cookies and a handwritten apology. We didn't need that but it was a nice touch. We were visiting the Mall of America and it is very convenient for that.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

I recently stayed here for 4 nights and the room was nice and big. I didn't go to Mall of America but it was right across the street. Check in was easy. I ate next door at Chevy's (not that good), the dining nearby is not very good. Breakfast had lots of food but very very crowded, thank goodness they have take out boxes so you can eat in your room. Weekday evenings they have dinner. I was there for one-more italian style food and it was pretty good. Pool was nice. Internet in business center was slow. Heard some noise from the ceiling (sometimes it sounded like someone was dropping stuff but wasn't too bad), but nothing from room next door (I did have an end unit so only one neighbor). I stayed here as a base to do some outside the Twin Cities sightseeing and also a Twins game at Target Field. Overall, I am happy I chose this hotel. Easy parking, easy to get around, and I had never drived in Minneapolis before.

• Stayed July 2010