“Great location and service”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Mall of America
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Smyrna, Georgia
“Great location and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

I choose to stay at Homewood Suites Hilton during a visit to the Mall of America this past December.

The staff was excellent and went above and beyond my expectations for staying at this type of hotel especially for this good of deal. As a matter of fact I've stayed at other hotels and paid more but didn't get the quality of service I received here. I really must say these guys provide 5 star quality service. They even took a giant box to the post office for me to mail back home. They only charged me an additional $3 delivery fee and after provided me a copy of the postage bill and delivery confirmation. It was great!

My room was neat and clean and the housekeeping staff was very attentive to my needs. I had my dog along with me (5 pound yorkie) and when ever we told them we were leaving, they were right there waiting to tidy up for us. I have never had such attentive housekeeping services.

The room was spacious and at night got to be a little bit chilly, but then again I think it was like 5 degrees outside or something crazy like that. Some of the furniture in the room was just a little dated, but not awful and still very comfortable.

The gym provided the standard tread mill, elliptical, and bike set up with a tv. I found it to be plenty sufficient for holiday travel.

The laundry room was tidy and everything worked fine.

I didn't get to eat there as I kept missing the breakfasts and dinners.

The free shuttle to and from the mall was great!
However if it wasn't so cold I could have walked over to the mall easily.

The free internet was great though a little slow, but the hotel was probably really busy due to the holiday season therefore more people online slowing the net.

The lobby was kept well and nicely decorated.

Everyone that worked there seemed happy to be working there.

An all around great experience!

Thanks Bunches!!

We hope to be back again soon!

S*

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

Our family stayed here for two nights while visiting the MOA, and were very happy with the choice. I plan to choose this hotel again during our next trip. Our 2-room suite was very clean, and quite comfortable. As with the majority of hotels near an airport, you may hear the air traffic if you are a light sleeper. My two-year old, however, loved being able to see incoming airplanes, commuter trains, and cars from the window. Breakfast was excellent, and was kept well stocked (our stay included a weekend morning, and a weekday morning). All staff encountered were very friendly and helpful. There was a Mexican restaurant attached to the hotel (Chevy's), but we did not have a chance to try it. Also, our room was equipped with a DVD player, and movies were available at the front desk for loan.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Omaha, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

We visited Homewood Suites with our kids for three nights. It's a good choice for families visiting the Mall of America, because you can walk to the Mall in three minutes, and also walk to the Hiawatha train station. That will take you to downtown Minneapolis.

This was my first trip to a Homewood. It's fairly similar to Embassy Suites, so it's odd that both are Hilton properties. Homewood seems aimed more for business travelers, with a larger kitchen and slightly more downscale decor.

Breakfast is chaotic ; the food area is poorly laid out, resulting in a somewhat stressful experience, and some food items ran out fairly regularly.

Overall, a good choice for families. I am guessing it's a different atmosphere during the week, when business travelers probably are probably the dominant visitors.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed here for five nights to attend a family reunion. The staff was very friendly and seemed to want to do a good job. This seemed to be an older property, but kept up very well for its age and the number of people that appear to use it. It was clean and the kitchens were stocked well with the needed equipment. Full frig, stove top, microwave, dishwasher and kitchen sink. The rooms are not extremely large, but are well furnished. Two regular boob tube TVs in our one bedroom suite and a ceiling fan over the bed. It has about seven or eight floors and is spread out over a large area. Free USA Today newspaper at our door every morning and there is a sundry and food place to buy from in the lobby, if you didn’t get to the grocery store. HIGH SPEED INTERNET WIFI was good and worked well.

Just across the street from the Mall of America, it is an easy walk, but there is a shuttle from the place to the Mall. It is also close to the MSP International Airport and the light rail station (easy walk) on the corner, big pluses. There is a Chevy’s Tex-Mex attached. Just across the parking lot is a Country Inn and Suites that has a TGI Fridays and an IHOP attached to it. So plenty of places to eat it you don’t like the food fair from the Homewood Suites (more on the food later). The place has a two computer executive center with printers and FED EX materials. There is an indoor swimming pool that is not large, but big enough. No hot tub. This place seemed to cater to families and those visiting the Mall, so the pool was full of kids after about 330-4pm and up to dinner time. I just looked in, but the place has a small exercise room with a tread mill and a few items. The exercise room didn’t look too appealing. It appeared to me that the pool, exercise room and the eating areas were not big enough for the number of rooms and people that stay here.

The breakfasts and evening meals were sometimes like attending a feed bag free for all catering to just starving people. For us it didn’t seem to matter when you went, but it was like watching people who had been starved for several weeks just come upon food. In some ways it was almost comical. One night they served meat loaf steaks, potatoes, corn on the cob and salad. People were coming from every direction and getting four or five steaks stacked on a plate, with eight or nine cobs of corn and to-go boxes of mashed potatoes and gravy and salad then heading out to God knows where. A man and woman we sat next to at the dinner meal said they thought this place was an “open” kitchen that served those in the community as well.

At any rate, the food didn’t last long before they ran out and then you had to wait a while before they were able to cook up some more. They could use a better system and a bigger seating area. The breakfasts were just as congested and slow to get replacement food with lines and waiting. However, what they serve was decent and if you could manage to time it right, you could get in and out in a fair amount of time for a meal.

Breakfasts were of eggs (scrambled, omelet or egg roll), meat (sausage or crispy bacon) and potatoes, breakfast eggrolls, with the typical fair of hot oatmeal, waffles, yogurts, fresh baked muffins, OJ, apple juice and coffee. Evenings were meat (such as meat loaf steak, hot wings, pepper steak and rice), potatoes, vegetables, rolls, salads, punch and lemonade. SORRY NO WINE OR BEER.

The a/c and heat was ok. However, our a/c was froze-up on arrival. I called the front desk and asked them to look at it. While I was out to get groceries the maintenance guy came up and looked at it and told my wife it was working ok. I was disappointed that the maintenance person couldn’t figure it out because it was so obvious. Not wanting to go through a nightmare of a sweltering room all night and trying to get someone at the place to deal with it, I defrosted it myself in about ten minutes with hot water and then it worked full blast. So much for the maintenance on the a/c on a Saturday night.

Other than its location, I think the price is way too much for a place of this age and small size. If you have a car my bet would be to go to another place and drive back and forth. There are many other places to go in the MoA area that are cheaper or give you a bigger bang for your buck.

Also, I noticed seeing a lot of airline people (pilots, cabin staff) coming and going to the Country Inn across parking lot with their roller luggage. I would guess they use the light rail and stay where they know best. Never stayed there, but will the next time we visit the MoA. Having a choice I would stay else where, but I could easily stay here again with no problems if there were no other places to stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

On my way home from a recent trip, I was routed through MSP so I decided to stay overnight and visit the Mall of America. The Homewood Suites couldn't have been a better choice. It is literally right across the street from the mall and the Light Rail station, so transportation was a breeze. I took the Light Rail from the airport to the mall ($1.75) and walked across the street. On my way back to the airport, I took the hotel's shuttle that runs every hour at the top of the hour, which happened to be convenient for my flight home.

As others have noted, the dining options near the hotel are limited to chains -- Chevy's, IHOP and TGI Friday's. But if you take 10 minutes and walk across the street to the mall, there are myriad choices. I especially enjoyed the Twin City Grill (part of the Lettuce Entertain You group of restaurants out of Chicago). Crave up on the 3rd Floor also gets high marks. I wasn't that hungry after stopping by the Manager's Reception at the hotel, which is offered only on Monday through Thursday nights. You know you're in the Midwest when the menu consists of corn dogs, yellow corn and mac and cheese -- it was as if they had a "yellow" theme going that evening!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Kenosha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

This was a wonderul hotel with perfect location. Right across the street from the Mall of America and the light rail stop as well as next to the airport property. The staff was fantastic, the rooms were clean and comfortable. It wasn't the cheapest room in the area, but with a teenager and a 4 month old the amenities were worth every penny. You won't be dissapointed with this hotel and we look for another when we go back to the Twin Cities!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

We conducted a business meeting at this hotel. I give them very high marks! The staff are amazing, very attentive and friendly. The price was definitely right. A great group rate for our rooms, free high speed internet access, free wireless access in the meeting rooms, free shuttle to the airport, free breakfast, each person got a two-room suite. All the folks that attended the meeting are raving about the facility. We will be using this chain in the future to host our meetings. With business travel budgets slashed we will be able to continue to meet face-to-face with this type of facility. You won't be disappointed. I should mention the location of the hotel--the Mall of America--made the evenings an opportunity for the group to get out and relax. The hotel also provides a free shuttle for delivery and pickuy at the mall.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business