“Super helpful staff”

Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Unfortunately I was in town for a funeral. The front desk staff was so friendly and kind - they even sent a bottle of wine up to the room. After many stressful hours of travel, that was the best welcome ever. Hotel is nice too. Would return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
CarolynMurphy, General Manager at Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments! We appreciate it!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

First, let me say that I really like Residence Inn hotels. I stay at them a lot because of their pet friendly policies and great breakfast. And, I have stayed at this hotel before (although it's been a couple of years) - it's convenience to the Mall of America, a Wal-Mart, REI, and other fun stuff is ideal when business is taken care of. With all that said, I had a couple of issues this time around.

Breakfast was delicious - as usual. Great selection and clean area, with people constantly walking through wiping down tables, picking up dishes, cleaning spills, etc.

The room was nice. I never feel uncomfortable walking around in bare feet, and the bathroom was extremely clean.

Here are my issues:
I went to put my clothes in the dresser, and there was dirt or fuzzies or something in every drawer. All I know is it wasn't stuff from my clothes and I didn't know what it was, so I didn't feel comfortable putting my clothes away. I didn't report this because it seemed petty at the time, but if it happens again I probably will call the desk.

Second, when I called for a late checkout I was told that noon was the normal checkout time, and asked if 1 p.m. would be ok. When I said yes, that would be fine, the desk person hung up. There was no acknowledgement at all. Since I had just completed a customer service reorientation my first thought was Residence Inn needs to do some retraining as well.

I will probably stay here again, but I have stayed in other locations in the area that I may give a second look next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
CarolynMurphy, General Manager at Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for being a repeat guest at our hotel and for offering your feedback. I wanted to follow-up with you regarding the two issues you experienced during your recent stay. We almost always get positive comments regarding the cleanliness of our rooms and the service from our staff, so I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the service we are known for. I also wanted to let you know that I have followed-up with both the way your request for an extended check-out was handled and your comment regarding the fuzzies in your drawers. I can assure you that your experience was quite rare and hope that your recent stay will not disuade you from returning to our hotel. I know our entire team would love to welcome you back and be given another chance to wow you with our service!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at this property for three nights in April. We chose this property for its proximity to the Mall of America and the fact that they have bedroom suites. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly desk attendant, who explained in detail how the breakfast and dinners worked and schedule for the Mall shuttle. She also gave us some coupons to be used at the Mall for meals, which was very nice.
We got to our room (324) and noticed that the fridge had not been wiped down after the last guests departed. Not that it was a huge deal, but it made me question the overall cleanliness of the room. What else was missed? We went into the bedroom and found that the duvet cover also appeared to have not been changed, as there were pen marks and other dirty areas on it. We asked for a clean one, which was provided. The next morning we noticed that the carpet could use a good cleaning, as there was a spill by the bed that was all crusty from not being cleaned properly. So, overall cleanliness was a bit of an issue.
The shuttle was super nice to have, but it only goes and comes once an hour. It leaves the hotel on the hour and picks up at the Mall at 10 after the hour. In both cases, you have to let the front desk know 10 minutes before the hour that you want a pickup. If you happen to get on the shuttle at the Mall with people going to the airport, they will take you to the airport before taking you back to the hotel. On the second day of our visit, there was a bad snowstorm. We called for a shuttle pick-up, but at 20 after the hour, it still hadn't arrived. I called the hotel and was told it would be at least 20 more minutes due to the weather. However, they told me to take a taxi and they would cover the fare. I thought that was exceptional customer service.
This property provides dinner on Monday through Thursday and we were not disappointed on the two nights we ate there. It was such a bonus to not have to find dinner after a long day! On the first night, they had a BBQ which included hamburgers, brats, grilled chicken, green salad, potato chips, and baked beans. The second night they had meatball subs with nice big buns and green salad. On the first night they also provided sodas, beer and wine, but the second night there was just water or fruit punch. The breakfast was really good, too, with breakfast sandwiches, sausage, eggs, hashbrowns, waffles and a good selection of breads, cereals, and yogurt. The attendants were very nice and cleared the plates and wiped down tables quickly.
I did see something that was pretty concerning in relation to the cooking that I thought I'd mention. After our BBQ dinner we went into the pool, where we had a view of the grill area where the food was being prepped. Charles, who by all other accounts was friendly and doing a great job, was smoking while he was preparing and grilling the food. Perhaps this sort of thing is acceptable in Minnesota, but where I live, it would be a health code violation.

A few other pros and cons:

Cons:
- Very noisy toilet that sounds like a jet engine taking off when flushed.
- Over head noise from guests walking and flushing the toilet in room above ours. Not that it kept us awake, but it was present.
- No channels for kids on the TV except for PBS.

Pros:
- Shuttle drivers were very nice, helping passengers in and out at every stop.
- Great water pressure in the shower.
- VERY comfy pillows!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Go2theZoo
CarolynMurphy, General Manager at Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback (both the positive and the negative). I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to enjoy many of the amenities at our hotel. Based on your review comments, I also realize that we have some opportunities for improvement. I would like to apologize that some of the items in your room had been overlooked before you checked-in. Your room condition did not meet the high standards that we normally set for ourselves, and I would like to assure you that your experience was not typical of our hotel. I would also like to assure you that I have personally addressed all of the items you mentioned in your review. I thank you again for bringing them to my attention so that I was able to do so. If you have any more concerns or if you would like to offer anymore feedback, feel free to contact me at the hotel. Thank you again.

Carolyn Murphy

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here 4/13/2013 - 4/15/2013. The hotel is located only a couple of miles from the airport and the Mall of America. We arrived a little early, so they went ahead and had us checked in by 11:00. The breakfast was good and very appreciated, scrambled eggs, sausages, do it yourself waffles, fruit etc. We were only there for the weeked, but I saw that there is a manager's reception during the week too M-F with a free evening meal. There is an Outback restaurant in the parking lot. We walked there to have dinner one evening. Also, the manager called the room to see if there was anything else that we needed, which was nice and very accomodating. They have a shuttle to the airport and to the MOA, so we did not need to rent a car. I was very pleased with my stay at the Residence Inn. The free hot breakfast, location and shuttle make it a really great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tammy P

We thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the area.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is really clean and the service by the staff is also exceptional. The rooms are quiet and cozy off from the sitting area. The resturant is located across the lot in the Marriott Courtyard but we didn't get a chance to dine there. If you plan to visit the Mall of America, this is a great location only one mile away. The hotel provides free shutle service.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade if available for no additional charge
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dusty5947
CarolynMurphy, General Manager at Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our property. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My family and I spent a weekend at the Residence Inn. I chose this place because I had stayed there before and had a good experience. This time was even better. When I was checking in, the staff asked what brought us to town. I explained that it was my sons 11th birthday and he wanted to come. When he entered the building, the staff all said "happy birthday" to him and called him by name. One of the ladies even went and got him some cookies. Exceptional customer service on all fronts. Desk service was excellent as well as cleaning staff and staff cleaning and stocking the breakfast area. What topped this stay off for me is that my husband left his pocket knife (given to him by our son) and his pillow at the hotel when we checked out. I called the hotel when we got home and talked with the staff. I then got a return call within an hour stating that they had the items and that someone would be contacting me again about how to get them to us. I just received both the knife and the pillow in the mail today. I would really like to commend the staff at The Residence Inn on a job well done on all fronts. The best customer service that I have witnessed in a very long time. Great job and thanks so much. Will definately make The Residence Inn Bloomington our choice of places to stay in the future. Thanks again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JackieS71

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and compliment the amazing team that I have th pleasure of working with on a daily basis. I have shared your kind words with them, which they so appreciated. We were so happy to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We highly recommend this hotel. The room was immaculate, quite large, all the amenities of your own home. Spacious room with it's own kitchen, large living area with love seat, chair, table, office desk and chair. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, the breakfast even offered scrambled eggs and sausage!
Only complaint, and it is a little one, the pillows were a tad too stuffed.
I come to the Minneapolis area quite a bit and will let my friends know about this gem.

Room Tip: We were thankful to be on the 4th floor as there was a bunch of younger hockey players running throu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PrincessJJYermo
CarolynMurphy, General Manager at Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your shopping trip and for taking the time to write your review! I am glad that you enjoyed your hotel stay. I know you mentioned that the pillows were a little too stuffed. I apologize that you weren't as comfortable as you could be and want to make sure you are the next time you stay with us. We have just purchased all king and queen pillows for the rooms and they are a little larger and a little more stuffed than the standard pillow; however, we do offer standard pillows in the closet of the room, and we would be more than happy to deliver some extra standard pillows (feather or foam) to your room the next time you stay with us. Again, thank you for your feedback! We look forward to your next stay with us!