“so old....time warp Marriott...excellent staff and close to Mall of America”

Minneapolis Airport Marriott
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I think I stayed at this sprawling hotel 25 years ago and it's location near the airport and Mall of America may be the best reasons to stay there. All that's seems changed in all these years is the addition of a new check-in area and the rooms upgraded (same as all Marriott full service)
Pluses: 1. Excellent staff, front desk to restaurant. 2. location. 3. Bed was very comfy. 4. had a prefectly cooked Burger the one night I ate there.
Negatives: 1. Sprawling, signage is good but you still keep wondering if you're going in the right direction. 2. Restaurants - one by the front desk that looks a lot like a Courtyard, another buried beyond the meeting rooms. Buried and dark, just not beckoning. 3. Please plow the parking lot when you get snow. 4. Hallways, same old skinny ones from the '80s. 5. Concierge room. Again buried and I had to direct several people several times to find it. Food not up to par with other Marriotts, especially at night. 6. Restaurant food options were very limited. Past the 1st night I trekked over to the mall where there are plenty of selections.
MArriott should buy this place out and find a new owner that can compete with the many airport/mall area options

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you so much for your loyalty to Marriott and our property. I would agree about the hallways. I wish the hotel was built with the future guest needs in mind. unfortunately this is not reality.
We do have the best staff in town and truly hope to host you again on your next visit to Minneapolis. Upon that visit less snow would be appreciated by ALL here in Minnesota.
We promise to cook your burger perfectly again next time!

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We were booked into this hotel well in advance of our stay. The day of our arrival the entire region was engulfed in a blizzard. All flights at MSP were cancelled creating a rush on rooms.

We arrived quite late in the evening and were pleased to find that they still had a room for us. It turned out to be a terrific room; very clean and comfortable. It was one of the most comfortable beds in which I have ever slept.

The property would have received five stars from me if staff would have remembered the wakeup call I had requested.

So ... do stay here. Just remember to set your own alarm for a wakeup.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for referring to our property as a sanctuary. Although we had many displaced travelers during that storm, our associates rose to the occasion by their brilliant customer service. I apologize that your wake-up call was not received.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The facility is a rambling affair, apparently the result of several major additions over the years. It is clean but slightly worn in spots. It seems well used, perhaps because it sits across the street from the Mall of America.
The service was uniformly good throughout all departments .... a real plus these days. The only thing I found truly objectionable was a charge of $10.00 per day for WiFi service, even in the meeting rooms. Come now. This is the twenty-first century. Given a choice I would always avoid a facility w/o free WiFi.
I was there for a Conference, which included meals. They were adequate, but completely institutional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room within easy access to an entrance if you're not physically fit.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
mspmn, Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear Most Valable Guest,

Thnak you so much for your feedback concerning your stay. We look at each review that is given to us and want to make sure that we follow up with this feedback. We do offer free interent in our public space for our guest to use. It is avaiable in our lounge and lobby bar area. I will make sure that my staff makes our guest aware of this as they check in. I think that if we had provided you with this information it would have been much more user freindly for you!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

While the hotel resembles a Marriott in some ways, overall the property is not up to typical Marriott brand standards. The hotel has a bizarre and confusing layout and room numbering system. I had a map and was still barely able to locate my room. During my three night stay, I directed at least three other guest that were clearly lost and roaming the halls looking for their room. The concierge lounge is rather small and was very crowded at both breakfast and dinner hours. The service staff (front desk, maids, lounge, room service) did a good job, but overall were just not as polished as most Marriotts. The gym facility was nice and had many Natilus type of weight machines, treadmills, elipticals and the like.

If this were a lower part of the Marriott brand (such as a Springhill Suite, Courtyard, etc.) then I would rate it average, as that is exactly what this "full" Marriot reminded me of.

Dear Guest,

Thnak you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is very important to recieve feedback from our guest so we can continously make improvements.

I am so sorry that the size of our property can be overwhelming at times. We give each of our guest information as they check in to make sure that we can get you to your room quickly.

We pride ourselves on provding the most excellent service and hope that you did encounter this when you stayed with us. We are a Full Service Marriott that provides all the full service ammenties that many of the local hotels do not. If I can be of any assistance in the futre please feel free to call me directly.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

When stranded late at night at the airport in January, we were happy to find a hotel close by that had rooms available for $99 plus tax. The phone reservation agent booked a room with a king but we were told upon arrival that only two doubles were available. The hotel smelled musty and looked like it had seen better days. Breakfast is not included in the rate. Upon checkout the following morning, we had to take our luggage down a hallway through the displays and people for a Lion's club convention which was very awkward.

On the plus side, there were plenty of plugs for electronics in the room. The Bistro served food until 12:45 am so we were able to eat and have a cocktail when we were starving and thirsty after a long day's travel. The food was quite good and the waitress was very pleasant and funny. The $17 breakfast buffet in the morning had hot and cold cereals, fresh fruit and juice, pastries, omelet station, eggs, bacon etc. The buffet was huge and very delicious. If you don't have time for a sit down breakfast, there is also a coffee stand if you want a quick cup of coffee and pastry to go.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Travelmom,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We love to get feedback from our guest. I want to let you know that the weekend you stayed with us is not a typical weekend at the Marriott. We have a annual conference of the local Lion's Club's. It was a busy weekend for us with the fantastic organization. I hope that you will try us again, when you want to get away for a quite weekend.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I travel frequently to Minneapolis for work. I always stay here. The staff is very friendly, the beds are comfortable. You can walk to the Mall of America for dinner. The rooms are typical Marriott quality. The concierge room has a very nice breakfast, and only charges $6 for a glass of wine.

The only complaint that I have is that the rooms are quite expensive. The rates are almost always $199. They are charging a premium due to their location. But it is a strangely organized hotel. You will walk forever to get to your room. It looks like 2 hotels that were pieced together. And when I stayed there, most of the elevators weren't working. And they charge for coffee in the lobby (free in the concierge room). That just irritates me!

But besides that, it is a good place to stay on business travel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the interstate.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Lisa H
mspmn, Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for taking time to give us a review. We do have the best staff in town here! I am glad that you enjoyed your time here. We agree this hotel is very spread out. I guess that is a good thing being near the airport. Unfortunately it is not something we can fix.
Again, thank you for your feed back. We hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were bumped from a flight in December and had to spend the night. The airline gave us a voucher for a different hotel, which didn't look great. I had a free night certificate (from my Marriott credit card) so I called and booked a room and the certificate was honored with no issues. The free shuttle took us to the hotel, where we were greeted by a very helpful and friendly check-in person. She told us that the shuttle to the Mall of American ran every hour, so after we checked in we rushed downstairs to get the shuttle, only to have missed it by less than a minute. The concierge radioed the driver, and after he dropped off his passengers, he came back for us. We were pleasantly surprised by this. The room was updated and the bed was very comfortable. With my Silver status we had access to the a 'courtesy suite' that had a selection of beverages and some snacks. The next morning we had a complimentary free hot breakfast in the same room. All in all the hotel was great and the staff was fantastic. I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in Minneapolis

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
We are thrilled that you had a wonderful stay. If you find yourself flying into MSP again please make us your home away from home.