“Good Hotel, Great Service”

Minneapolis Airport Marriott
Ranked #35 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Quogue, New York
“Good Hotel, Great Service”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one Sunday night in early August. We were returning from a family reunion in western Minnesota and had an early flight the next day from the airport. We decided on the Marriott because it was a full service hotel and we did not want to leave the hotel to go out for dinner after we arrived. As others have noted, the hotel is within walking distance of the Mall of America, but they do offer a shuttle bus there if you don't want to walk. They also offer shuttles to the airport which is less than a mile away. We had no trouble finding the hotel, it was right off the interstate. Check-in was very quick and friendly. There is a bar/Starbucks off the lobby but it was not open on Sunday. Some posters have mentioned that the hotel is large and hard to get around but we did not find that to be the case. It is laid out like a typical conference hotel with the meeting rooms in the center just off the lobby. The hotel rooms are then arranged around the outside of the meeting rooms. Our room was on the fourth floor on the south side of the building away from the interstate and the airport. It was very quiet and came with a small mini-frig and a good sized bathroom. Our beds were quite comfortable and the room was among the quietest I've had at an airport hotel. Overall, I would consider it be near the top for conference hotels.

After getting settled, we went to the concierge lounge which was a little empty being a Sunday night. In talking with the staff, we learned that much of their business is business conferences during the week since Minneapolis is a major airport hub for Delta. The staff member on duty was great and was very helpful in answering our questions on how best to get to the airport that day. After a few drinks and appetizers, we went down to eat at the restaurant, Bistro 57. As Marriott restaurant/bars go, this one was near the top. Our server, April,continued the great service we had been having since arrival. The food, as compared to some hotels, was actually very good and we were very pleased with our choices. We finished the evening by going to the pool. It is very large and all inside (it is Minnesota!). We didn't have a chance to use the fitness center, but it looked well equipped. We returned to the concierge lounge to grab some coffee and some cookies for our daughter. Apparently, while we at dinner, a large group had come to the lounge and most of the desserts and all of the cookies were gone. However, the concierge host had known we were coming back and had saved three cookies for my daughter. Now that's service!

Room Tip: Try for rooms that face the inner courtyard. They seem to be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am glad to see that the staff here did a great job of taking care of you during your short visit to the area. I am very fortunate to have such a caring reliable staff. I will be sure and pass along your kinds words to the staff at our next appreciation luncheon.

We hope you can stay with us again when your travels bring you to town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here in mid-september in room 0344. The facility is getting on in years and could definitely use a facelift in the public areas. While it is not something they can change, the hotel is not up to modern Marriott standards in terms of its layout.

Positives:
+ The staff was very solicitous and delivered good service across the board.
+ The breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was good. The eggs were fully cooked and *not* watery (unlike just about every other CL I've been in).
+ The sleeping area has been redone in the last 5 years and it is pleasant to work in.
+ It is quiet - I only recall hearing planes take off twice over the course of 3 days.
+ Plenty of hot water at decent pressures at all times throughout the day

Negatives:
- Old property
- Bed was rock hard. I've never slept in a more uncomfortable bed in any Marriott family hotel.
- Long Long hallways that have noticeable dips every 15 feet or so. It was like walking on a cruise ship.
- Confusing layout
- Concierge lounge was about as far as you could put it from the front desk.
- Hallways and public areas are in need of a facelift
- Strange wet/musky odor in the hallway outside my room. Probably due to the HVAC on that hallway. There was a fan blowing trying to dry that area out for the entire duration of my stay.
- Card Readers on one elevator and one stairwell are inoperable. This means you can get to the CL even if you aren't entitled to it by using the elevator with the inoperable reader. Conversely, the reader on the 4th floor stairs is inoperable and wont open, even if you are entitled to it.
- The bathroom was redone at some point in the past 5 years. It is obvious that they replaced the sink top but left the underlying woodwork in place, which was flaking/peeling/de-laminating.

Overall: This is the room they put a Marriott Rewards Platinum member in at a rate of $199/night. I expect better from a full-service Marriott. Their staff was top-notch, but the facility has a lot of issues. I will not be returning unless I have a 6AM flight out of MSP to catch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to give us your feed back from you recent stay. Your positive comments really make me proud of my staff. We strive for excellent service here at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott. It seems we succeeded in this.
Unfortunately we do have room for improvement in the maintenance department. Regarding room 344, based on the review on 9/22 we have changed the mattress in the room, we have also put the building that this room is in on the top of our preventative maintenance schedule for this upcoming weekend to do some deep cleaning and some needed TLC. I wish there was something we could do with the layout of the property but this one is out of my control. I have however reiterated to the front office team to be sure and give maps out upon check in and make sure that the guests are given clear direction. Also, yes during your stay we did have an issue with the HVAC unit in the hallway, it should however have been cleaned up/fixed much sooner to stop the odor that you experienced.
As a platinum member I understand that you expect much more than the room that we placed you in. If the opportunity arises that you are back in the area please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel so that I can make sure you are placed in a better location.
We appreciate your loyalty and your comments. It is people like yourself that allow us to grow and better other guests experiences.
Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Truly the best customer service ever. I love this place. You are always greeted with a "welcome back". Frequently I am there during the winter and when I check in, the amazing bellmen always remind me to leave my keys for them so they can have my car brushed off and warmed up and ready for me when I leave in the morning. They always have an umbrella and let you take it for the day if you need it. Recently in a terrible snow storm that left many peope stranded, I told them I'd have to leave realy ealry in the morning to get to the airport, and I litterally watched them go out to my car from my hotel room window, brush it off and then driver it around front to finish brusing and warming it up. I had to take a picture just to show everyone that this is the best place in MSP to stay. Doesn't hurt that the huge mall is across the street with great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is near the closest elevator center otherwise you are walking pretty far.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for you wonderful feed back. We strive for excellent service at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott and I glad that we proved that to be true during your stays with us.

We look forward to hosting you again next time you are in town. We also hope the snow will be few and far between this year :)

Have a great day!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here last weekend because we were at the mall of America. The rate on the weekend was $99.00. The customer service was amazing!! Everyone went out of their way to do anything you needed. The hotel was clean and we would stay here again!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We pride ourselves at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott in customer service that can't be beat!

We hope the next time you are in town you stay with us again. Have a great Fall!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Each time we stay here the staff goes out if their way to offer great service. Every staff member greets us as we pass by. The rooms are generous and clean. The beds are very comfortable. The hotel sits right in front of Mall of America and across the highway from the airport. Very well located for shopping or traveling.

Room Tip: We are gold members and received an upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott. We are very lucky here to have the BEST staff in the city.

We look forward to serving you again in the future. Safe travels!
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Overall the place clean and uses quality linens. The staff are exceptionally friendly and energetic. They go out of their way to make your stay perfect.The restaurant is priced a bit high, but the food is good. (Do not trust if you are GF though. They do not worry about cross contamination.) Service there is more relaxed, so ask for the bill as soon as you get your food. If you are attending a business meeting there, bring a jacket. The conference rooms and lobby bathroom are absolutely frigid. Oh, and wifi is NOT included in the price of the room. That's another $13 for each 24-hour period. They do have a small shop in the lobby if you need a snack, drink, or toiletries. Items are priced high, but that was expected. And if you have a problem with tiny bugs biting you while you sleep, avoid room 3031. Sure, they offered to correct the issue, but why did the bed have bugs in it in the first place? Anyway, if we omit the bugs and the glutening, I truly was impressed with this hotel. Great people, quality linens & soaps, beautiful relaxing courtyard, and a shuttle to the mall and airport. I will stay there again, but will find meals where GF is taken more seriously.

Room Tip: Check the sheets for little critters waiting to snack while you dream.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! I am very happy to hear that the wonderful staff here at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott took great care of you while you were staying with us.
We have utilized this review in our culinary meeting this morning and will make sure that everyone on staff understands the seriousness of food allergies/intolerances and handling such foods.
Based on the comment in your review about room 3031 and the pest concerns, I have had the room inspected by our pest control company and we are happy to report the room is pest free. We take any situation such as this very seriously and have any room or area thought to be an issue inspected immediately.
We look forward to your next stay at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott. And we expect that you will have an extraordinary experience!
Berea, Ohio
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed here during a recent conference and completely enjoyed this hotel. Our room was excellent, fresh and inviting. The staff were very accommodating. The on-site bar and restaurant were good. Shuttle service to the Mall of America ran regularly making it very convenient to go several times (which I needed to take it all in... The place is vast). The light rail to downtown Minneapolis was just around the corner, so we enjoyed a few treks to see the city and enjoy the restaurants. Good choice!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and that the staff took great care of you while you were with us.
When returning to the area for either business or pleasure we would love to host you again at the Minneapolis Airport Marriott!