“Couldn't complain”

Minneapolis Airport Marriott
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed February 23, 2013

On an unusually wet and snowy night in late January, we elected to stay near the airport to be certain to catch the plane. We sometimes use the Marriott at the Newark airport for the same reason. I don't know the history of this hotel, but it does indeed seem grafted together, with several small elevators operating from seemingly odd corners of the buildings. Once inside the room, though, we realized we'd made a good choice: it was comfortable, clean, and sizeable. On an interior courtyard, it was also very quiet (albeit with less traffic that particular night). We didn't eat here, or use the pool or the fitness room, but I can tell you the staff were outstanding. Misunderstanding the shuttle bus schedule, we missed the one we needed to take to make our plane; the doorman immediately called us a cab and it came right away.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Quick summary - probably the worst marriott experience I have had in 20 years.

The shuttle service runs twice an hour so they told me I had to wait 28 minutes for the next shuttle. I took a cab and paid $25 to get to the hotel.

When I checked in the clerk didn't even tell me where the concierge lounge was.

I ordered a cheeseburger cooked medium and when it showed up it was raw through the entire center of the burger. I suspect it was probably frozen and they didn't get it all the way cooked through. The room service guy was the only pleasant point in the entire experience.

The room looked like someone had just pulled the sheets up and there was no shampoo in the room.

Walls were thin - could hear the people around me.

Never staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was among 60 or so Delta passengers stranded in the middle of the night Minneapolis. The airline booked me a room at this hotel and I ended up being very happy they did.

Here's what impressed me: The shuttle driver and front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful, even though it was close to 1 AM and freezing rain was falling when I arrived The management had called in extra front desk people to help expediently check in the influx of waylaid passengers, and my room was large, well-appointed clean and quiet.

I plan to stay here again when in the Twin Cities, although I'm hoping the next time we be a planned stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David J
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The layout of this hotel is very strange. Many corridors and hallways that wrap around several outdoor courtyard areas. You can tell it is a renovated older facility.

Check-in & front desk
Quick and painless. Was upgraded to concierge level. They have folks manning the door and valet. I ran out of shaving cream and they had it at the front desk for free, as well as a small store of items for purchase next to the front desk. Nice front lobby area and small bar.

Rooms
On the small side. Bed was comfy. Bathroom was very small, and did not have a fan which was a nuisance when showering. Standard amenities - small fridge, coffee maker. No microwave though. The ice machine was broken on my wing, but the adjacent wing had an operational one.

Concierge
Very nice option. Good breakfast in the AM (fruit, eggs, granola, yogurt, etc.). Nice evening appetizers and cocktails as well. Nice option to visit instead of staying in my room since I was there for a week.

Gym/Pool
Above average gym with treadmills, ellipticals, and weights/machines. Didn't use the pool and hot tub but it looked nice as well.

Overall, nice hotel. No major complaints. Not as new as others I've stayed at, but still good. Directly across from the Mall of America, although I did not visit. Would return on business again, although I'm also thinking about checking out the Residence Inn Marriott that is around the corner due to the small size of the rooms on long stays.

Room Tip: Concierge floors if you have it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Yes this is a hotel that needs some renovation, particularly the elevators - they rattle and are embarrassing for such a nice hotel. However my room, which was upgraded to a suite, was perfect. Very clean, very up to date and quiet.

Every staff member I met smiled and asked if they could help me in any way. Excellent service. The Bistro 79 restaurant served a decent Caesar salad but the breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing. The pork sausages weren't quite cooked through and the omelet chef was missing for five minutes when we wanted omelets.

All together I was satisfied and given the proximity to the airport will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ron L
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stay at a lot of Marriots. This property is a disappointment. It's very old a run down, looks to have been remodeled into a newer property at some point..

Lots of wear and tear, and a very scrambled set up.

Many better in MPLS

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here overnight when I missed a connection. Paid about 100 dollars last minute. This hotel is in walking distance of the Mall of America (even in the middle of winter). They offer a free shuttle to and from the airport, which is about 8 min. I would say if you are just coming to the city to hit the mall this is the place for you. There is a pool and hot tub that is surprisingly open till 1 am. Decent little lounge and restaurant. All in all a good stay. I have no complaints, good sleep, good times.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stimpson
mspmn, General Manager at Minneapolis Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
We are very proud of our onsite restaurant Bistro 79. The food and staff are exceptional. Thank you for pointing out our convenient location to the airport and the Mall of America. We hope you return soon.