“Look Elsewhere”

Ranked #32 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
SE Michigan
“Look Elsewhere”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The good: The staff was quite friendly, overall, and quite accommodating. There was a free shuttle to the mall and airport. If you ask nicely, the free shuttle will take you elsewhere locally also.

The bad: The hotel is in desperate need of refurbishing. The hallway walls were quite dirty. The tables in the lobby were filthy (caked up filth in the crevices). In the "business center" (a room with one old PC in it), there were bugs on the counter the first day that were still there 3 days later when I checked out. The AC worked only interemittently in our room. The electrical outlet on one wall worked only intermittently. The sink didn't have any hot water (but the shower did). The AC was hanging out of the wall about an inch (coming loose). Threadbare carpeting in the hallway. In the "business center", there were 3 large bolts sticking out of the floor, with no warning--pretty dangerous and irresponsible of the hotel. The restaurant was over-priced, but the staff there was friendly also. The hotel is not convenient to anything. It seems to be built in the middle of an industrial area.

Would I stay there again? No way.

• Liked — Staff was the only real bright spot.
  • Disliked — Condition of hotel, lack of cleanliness, location.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TravlinGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
hughson, ca
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I booked this hotel on hotwire for $39.00 a night. Knowing that i booked at this great price was the main thing that made our stay acceptable. if i had paid a full rack rate for this hotel I would have been unhappy. Please know that I am an avid reader of reviews on tripadviser before i book any hotel. I never put too much weight in any one review but try to find a common theme (good or bad) in a series of reviews. I also am leary of reviews where people just totally unload on a hotel. those reviews tend to be a little misleading since it seems that the writer has an ax to grind. so when i write a review i like to stick to facts as much as possible and let the reader use the info i have provided however they see fit. having said that there are some things i would have wanted to know about this hotel before i booked.

1. this hotel is a 7-10 minute freeway drive from the Mall of America, and 10-12 minute drive from the airport. it is not one of the hotels directly across from the mall/airport. The drive to both the mall & airport are easy enough but just be aware that there are many hotels to choose from that are closer if that is what you need.
2. This hotel is not located in any kind of "hotel district". I took a drive one morning in all directions and there are no other hotels near by. this area is basically an industrial park area. The neighborhood did not seem unsafe but there are no restaurants/stores within walking distance. There are a few restaurants and fast food places within a 2-3 minutue drive.

3. if you have stayed at holiday inn properties in the past you will probably rank this hotel at the lower end of the scale for holidays inns. The property seems "tired & worn". The carpet in several of the hallways had large loose wrinkles in it that were large enough to trip over when walking. in our room there was evidence of a large water leak in the ceiling. it has been repared and painted over, but when they painted they only painted the patch so it did not match the rest of the ceiling. There was also a large crack that ran through the wall under our A/C unit. The rest of the room seemed clean as did the bathroom.

4. the pool seemed clean and maintained. the surrounding pool deck area seemed a bit "worn and tired" like the hotel overall. the spa was operation on the first day of our stay and drained empty on the second day of our stay. not sure why.

5. SAFETY- one of the things that bothered me the most was the access to the hotel after hours. there was a side door that was suppose to locked between the hours of 11pm & 6am. it was suppose to require the swipe of a room key to open it. this door was "broken" and allowed anyone direct access to rooms 24 hours a day. it was never fixed during our 2 day stay.

in closing:

if you need a room at a low rate near the airport/mall and our willing to put up with some of these things i listed about this hotel it will probably serve your need. our main reason for booking it was to find a cheap room to crash in after our 2 days at the mall of america. it served that purpose for us. we are not very picky people and were able to over look most of the issues stated above. But i would not book this room without a great rate.

• Liked — price booked for on hotwire
  • Disliked — overall "tired and worn" appearance of hotel.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Reno
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Booked this hotel on Priceline for $40 and was somewhat worried after reading other reviews. My worries were unfounded, this place is a hidden gem! Right off the freeway and only a few miles from the Mall of America. Not the most scenic neighborhood, but the hotel and rooms were awesome! Our room looked recently remodeled and the beds were fluffy pillowtop and they had down pillows and down comforters on them! The room was beautiful! The pool and spa were wonderful, the pool warm and the spa hot, all indoor. The staff was super helpful with directions to the Mall, the train to Minneapolis, nearby restaurants, etc. They all went above and beyond EVERYTIME we went to them for something. We had room service from the restaurant and the food and service were terrific! All in all a fantastic value for $40! We would stay there again in a minute! I have been in the travel industry for 25 years and I know good hotels. This one is a deal! Don't listen to those other negative reviews, you will be missing out!

• Liked — The comfortable room
  • Disliked — neighborhood was business/industry
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Green Isle, Minnesota
Reviewed May 4, 2008

We stayed here Feb 18, after booking a room for one night through Hotwire. I was nervous about the room after reading the reviews, but it was fine. We were on the 4th floor and it was very quiet. The room was older, but clean and the bed was comfortable. The heater did a good job in the room, too good actually. Even with it well below zero we had to turn on the fan to cool things down a bit so we could sleep. The bathroom was fine, water pressure was good. TV worked fine. Front desk staff were very nice and didn't seem to hold it against us that we had booked through Hotwire, we got our non smoking King bed with no problem whatsoever. It was a good value. We would stay here again.

• Liked — Low cost, clean quiet room
  • Disliked — Farther away from Bloomington than we realized, a bit off the beaten path for us.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flowerladytoo
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I booked this hotel through Hotwire for a great price of $39 a night. I think it was money well spent and was a bargain at that. After booking through hotwire I immediately emailed the hotel asking for a non-smoking, 2 bed room. When checking in I confirmed it and was told that indeed, they had a note in the computer regarding my request and it was no problem.

I was quite happy with the quality of the room, the bedding, the bathroom and the heat. It was nice to actually have a window that opened for fresh air as well. We had nothing but great service from the desk and the maintance crew when we couldn't get our microwave to work. --user error on our part but they came right up at 10 PM when we called it in. Very professional. I also like that the hotel had washers and dryers.

We also used the shuttle service for airport pickup, shopping at MOA and back to the airport to pickup a rental card. All trips were handled graciously. Please be aware though that you need to notify the staff when you wish to use it. It can get booked full.

My only negative was the funky smell in the halls after people had microwaved food. The halls need better ventilation. We did not use the pool and they were in the process of cleaning it while we were there.

We ate at the Green Mill for breakfast and it was good and we also had the Easter Sunday brunch, which was actually very nice. The restaurant manager was especially accomodating as we had no reservation and they were fully booked.

Remember folks, this is not a 3* or 4* hotel. Yes it's old and yes it's seen better days. But, If you are looking for a good bargain price hotel with good service and decent rooms then this is a good choice. I would stay there again if I could priceline it or use hotwire for a discounted rate. Please see my photos.

• Liked — Price and easy access to airport and Mall of America, washer & dryer, free wi-fi
  • Disliked — smell in the hallway
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelanne
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stay at Holiday Inn Expresses frequently (like their rewards program.) Compared to other HIE's this one is average to somewhat below average. The 2005 update someone else mentioned brought them the nicer bedding, towels, curve-out shower curtain, etc that are the standard HIE setup. The bathroom was nicely updated, bed was comfortable, no really bad wear/tear on the room. The building itself looks pretty old, but they have done a reasonable job at keeping it up.

The wireless did not have enough signal to connect and there is no wired access. I asked about this at the desk and they gave me a usb bridge with an antenna on it, and that fixed the problem. They appear to have interference issues in the building, but to their credit, it looked like they knew about the problem and had several of these bridges to check out.

I'm not all that crazy about the standard HIE breakfast - most of them have yoplait yogurt and fruit, so I usually just get that. This one had some kind of marketed-to-kids yogurt that was really aweful and no fruit, so I bought some granola bars instead. They did have the standard HIE biscuits and make-your-own waffles, which are pretty good, I just don't need all the starchy carbs.

This tends to be more of a tourist hotel than business, and therefore noisier. Not the fault of the hotel, but just know that in advance. One night about 3 in the morning (on a wednesday) a couple of guys were being really loud in the hall, which woke me up. That could happen anywhere, but its less likely where most people are there for business, not softball tournaments.

I paid the normal rate from Holiday Inn's website ($89/sunday, $117/weeknight) - you could get a better room for that elsewhere. One thing I like about HI's Priority Club is that the hotels usually give you a little something, like a bottle of water, maybe a snack, and a thank you note. This one didn't do that.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
GREEN BAY
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We got 2 nights for 2 rooms on Hotwire for $42 per room per night. Front desk staff very friendly. Always like it when they call after several minutes to make sure the room is ok, which they did.

They gave us nice, adjoining rooms so the two teenage girls could be close, but not "too close." Plus side - Comfortable bed, available down pillows - always a plus, wireless internet, small fridge and microwave, plenty of water pressure in shower. Could do betters - TV had seen better days, no phonebook, and the outlet I plugged a computer charger in was missing a face plate and the outlet on the lamp did not work.

All that said for $42 ($84 for 4 queen beds and 2 bath rooms) you cannot beat the value.

• Liked — Value - good size room for $42 - 5 min drive to Mall of America
  • Disliked — Just needs a few attention to detail updates
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family