“3 Night Stay was Just Fine”

Holiday Inn Bloomington - Airport South
Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I booked this hotel through Hotwire for a great price of $39 a night. I think it was money well spent and was a bargain at that. After booking through hotwire I immediately emailed the hotel asking for a non-smoking, 2 bed room. When checking in I confirmed it and was told that indeed, they had a note in the computer regarding my request and it was no problem.

I was quite happy with the quality of the room, the bedding, the bathroom and the heat. It was nice to actually have a window that opened for fresh air as well. We had nothing but great service from the desk and the maintance crew when we couldn't get our microwave to work. --user error on our part but they came right up at 10 PM when we called it in. Very professional. I also like that the hotel had washers and dryers.

We also used the shuttle service for airport pickup, shopping at MOA and back to the airport to pickup a rental card. All trips were handled graciously. Please be aware though that you need to notify the staff when you wish to use it. It can get booked full.

My only negative was the funky smell in the halls after people had microwaved food. The halls need better ventilation. We did not use the pool and they were in the process of cleaning it while we were there.

We ate at the Green Mill for breakfast and it was good and we also had the Easter Sunday brunch, which was actually very nice. The restaurant manager was especially accomodating as we had no reservation and they were fully booked.

Remember folks, this is not a 3* or 4* hotel. Yes it's old and yes it's seen better days. But, If you are looking for a good bargain price hotel with good service and decent rooms then this is a good choice. I would stay there again if I could priceline it or use hotwire for a discounted rate. Please see my photos.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelanne

Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stay at Holiday Inn Expresses frequently (like their rewards program.) Compared to other HIE's this one is average to somewhat below average. The 2005 update someone else mentioned brought them the nicer bedding, towels, curve-out shower curtain, etc that are the standard HIE setup. The bathroom was nicely updated, bed was comfortable, no really bad wear/tear on the room. The building itself looks pretty old, but they have done a reasonable job at keeping it up.

The wireless did not have enough signal to connect and there is no wired access. I asked about this at the desk and they gave me a usb bridge with an antenna on it, and that fixed the problem. They appear to have interference issues in the building, but to their credit, it looked like they knew about the problem and had several of these bridges to check out.

I'm not all that crazy about the standard HIE breakfast - most of them have yoplait yogurt and fruit, so I usually just get that. This one had some kind of marketed-to-kids yogurt that was really aweful and no fruit, so I bought some granola bars instead. They did have the standard HIE biscuits and make-your-own waffles, which are pretty good, I just don't need all the starchy carbs.

This tends to be more of a tourist hotel than business, and therefore noisier. Not the fault of the hotel, but just know that in advance. One night about 3 in the morning (on a wednesday) a couple of guys were being really loud in the hall, which woke me up. That could happen anywhere, but its less likely where most people are there for business, not softball tournaments.

I paid the normal rate from Holiday Inn's website ($89/sunday, $117/weeknight) - you could get a better room for that elsewhere. One thing I like about HI's Priority Club is that the hotels usually give you a little something, like a bottle of water, maybe a snack, and a thank you note. This one didn't do that.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2008

We got 2 nights for 2 rooms on Hotwire for $42 per room per night. Front desk staff very friendly. Always like it when they call after several minutes to make sure the room is ok, which they did.

They gave us nice, adjoining rooms so the two teenage girls could be close, but not "too close." Plus side - Comfortable bed, available down pillows - always a plus, wireless internet, small fridge and microwave, plenty of water pressure in shower. Could do betters - TV had seen better days, no phonebook, and the outlet I plugged a computer charger in was missing a face plate and the outlet on the lamp did not work.

All that said for $42 ($84 for 4 queen beds and 2 bath rooms) you cannot beat the value.

Reviewed March 24, 2008

I booked this hotel on price line for $40 dollars. I would be very upset if we would have paid more. I was shocked to read that the hotel had been updated in 2005. I am not sure what was updated then its very hard to tell. We waited in a long line to be checked in. The man at the front desk was not helpful or very friendly he wasnt able to tell us where the nearest gas station. The room was clean but looked kinda ragged. The best part of the stay was in the morning the had a breakfast buffet and my daughter ate for free. I think this hotel is a prime example of you get what you pay for. i spent the whole time feeling like we were in a roadside motel. We did use the shuttle to and from the mall which was very nice, but the driver was not friendly and almost rude.

1  Thank wendy_p_8
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Was a little worried after reading some reviews, but rooms were nice and clean. Booked for $46 a night with hotwire, a very good deal. Staff was wonderful. Awesome pizza from on premise restaurant, Green Mill. Will stay here again.

Reviewed March 16, 2008

traveled to this hotel with three friends to shop at the mall of America. We called the hotel as soon as we got landed at the airport and the shuttle was there within 10-15 min. Shuttle driver, Angie, was the BEST. She was very helpful and informative about the area and downtown shopping. She called ahead to the hotel after she picked us up around noon and asked the front desk to have our keys ready so that we could depart immediately on her next run over to the mall so that we didn't have to wait an hour and a half for the next shuttle. We walked right into the hotel and the gal at the front desk handed me the keys and we dropped our luggage off in the room and went right back out where Angie was waiting for us. We had a room with a slider to the pool area, enjoyed sitting out there playing cards and ordering food from the hotel's restaurant. Good pizza and good breakfast. All hotel staff were very nice and helpful. Will definitely stay here again when we are ready to shop again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We booked our room through Hotwire (3* in Bloomington) for $42 per night. We requested 2 queen beds, listed 2 adults and both of our kiddos. When we arrived to check in about 9PM Friday, the Assistant Manager at the desk informed me the only double queen rooms available were smoking, and since we had kids, he didn't want to do that to us. He upgraded us to a King-size, whirlpool suite, with an adjoining hospitality suite for our kids to sleep in. It was a very nice hotel. The hotel also has a Green Mill restaurant located inside. The kids eat free at this hotel. For $104 for 2 nights, we'll be back for sure!!

Stayed: February 2008