“REDICULOUS Hotel & NOT ACCOMIDATING AT ALL!”

Park Plaza Bloomington
Ranked #36 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 23, 2010

**When I called to make my reservation I stated I needed a double bed room for me, my husband and our 3 young children (ages 10, 4, 2). The receptionist informed me it was against company policy to have MORE THAN 4 PEOPLE PER ROOM so I would have to rent 2 rooms! The receptionist refused to listen to the fact that I had young children. So I called back and told her I only had 4 people staying in a room!
**When we arrived at the hotel the hotel receptionist was NOT NICE AT ALL.
**When using their elevators ONLY 5 PEOPLE may use the elevator at a time. There is an actual sign in between the elevators.
** There is NO continental breakfast. You must pay 6.95 to eat their buffet. It would be cheaper to eat at a resturant!
If you have children or a bigger family..this hotel would not be an appropriate hotel for you and your family to stay at.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dee9583
There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Bloomington

Reviewed August 22, 2010

Before I checked into the hotel, I read all of these terrible reviews. I can only assume that the hotel manager also read the reviews and fixed some of the issues. I walked into the hotel thinking that it was going to be so terrible that I was going to have to stay somewhere else. I examined everything with a critical eye (more than usual). I found that the reviews were absolutely wrong! The bed was really quite comfortable. The bedspread/sheets were modern. The room was SPOTLESS! There was no assaulting odor in the whole hotel. It's VERY close to the airport and Mall of America. Granted, the hotel could use a paint job but it is an older hotel. The carpets were plush and looked relatively new. I didn't eat there so I don't know about room service or the restaurant. The television in the room was older, but it worked great! And no, there was no fridge or microwave but one who travels often enough will know that that is an added bonus and that most hotels that are under a 4 star do not offer microwaves or fridge (unless the room states that it has a kitchenette).

At any rate, I feel like myself and the other raters stayed at completely different hotels. I had a great experience there (especially since it is a 3 star hotel) and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2010

I'll have to say that I was hesistant about the hotel after it was booked on Hotwire and I had a chance to take a look at the user reviews. Everything about the place was nice. A clean/spacious room, very comfortable beds, and free wi-fi. They even replaced our entire AC unit after we had notified the front desk that it wasn't working properly. I stay at 15-20 different hotels a year and this was a terrific value. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JoeProfs
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I stayed two nights and had a very good experience. The weather was warm the first day, close to 90 degrees and the air conditioner kept the room cool. I slept well. The best part of this hotel was the shuttle service they provided to the Mall of America. It saved a $20 cab ride and the hassle of parking. The shuttle service also went above and beyond one night and picked me up at the airport at 12:30 a.m. after riding the light rail from downtown. I loved the wireless (wifi) internet with NO login required too.

The room was very clean, the staff was professional and friendly and I had breakfast one morning, which was excellent with terrific service. Some hotels are loud because of their location, Park Plaza is in a perfect location, quiet and easy to get to from 494.

Also, google map directions gave me Perfect directions from my house in Wisconsin to Blloomington and the Park Plaza. I also stayed midweek and got 30% off. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights. I can't stand the smell- smell of chemicals (cleaning agent i think) Complained to the front desk person, She did not want to give me another room. She was not very sensitive to our needs. My kid has autism and can not be exposed to chemicals. She said it was not toxic. It smelled like they just spray and call it clean. Worst than smell of febreeze.
There isn't any microwave, no refrigerator either. For 69$/night , that is very disappointing.
The carpet must not have been replaced at all for about 20 years. I could not walk barefoot -it was disgusting. The bed mushy. Had a back ache from sleeping on it. Overall, i'd pay more than go back here.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Booked for $32/night on priceline. Had to check 4 rooms before finding one that didn't reek. All the rooms smelled like the maids had used a keg of carpet powder in each room. Had to go to sleep with a t-shirt over my face to keep from breathing that crap. Also found most of the towels to be dirty: hair, dirt, or stains. Everything is old and run down. Definitely NOT a "3 star" as listed on priceline. I think they only have that rating due to the fact that they offer "room service" consisting of pizza only. Finally had too much and checked out 5 days early, and received a refund through priceline for the remaining days.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I have stayed at the hotel on several occasions....If you use Priceline "Name Your Own Price" it seems to be the default Hotel in Bloomington...I stayed here for $35 a night as well as $40 a night on different stays...that being said...

The hotel is a no frills hotel....Is it a 3 star hotel?....No...it is probably more of a 2 to 2.5 star hotel....The lobby was small but adequate...they do keep a limited staff on hand...they were proficient at getting you checked in..I haven't required any other services from the front desk so I really have no complaints with the staff...

There is a restaurant adjacent with a small bar....The bar and restaurant are dated...but not so bad that it turns your head..It just appears they haven't remodeled in a long time....There is a nice computer center and there is free internet throughout the building..The swimming pool is dated....they recently painted it...but it still shows it age...I am a business traveler so I wasn't as concerned about the pool as I was with the room...

The room like the rest of the hotel was dated....with dated furniture...the interior design reflected an era of the past...or maybe just a poor interior designer's vision 20+ years ago...the orange/brown carpet in the hallway and the green carpet in the rooms is absolutely hideous...Again...poor taste or bad designing?. As long as the questionable designing didn't impact my night stay...it really didn't matter to me...plus I had paid a low enough price that it made up for the shortcomings of this hotel....at $35-$40 night you can't expect Taj Mahal..If I paid full price I would have been upset with this place since I do not consider it a 3 star hotel..

The positive part is they have great beds...yes....very comfortable beds....The beds are the best part of the hotel....The hotel is far enough off the highway on a frontage road so the road noise wasn't bad...It is a very secure place....and I didn't feel any safety concerns...that included my car in the parking lot and my belongings in my room...

The negative part is the food.....I ordered pizza from room service...absolutely disgusting...I didn't try any other food as it appeared not too many people were eating at the restaraunt so I was concerned about the turnover and freshness of the food. And after eating the pizza....I would recommend getting pizza coupons from Papa Johns, Dominos, etc at the front desk...and yes they have coupons for those places...maybe indicating the staff's feeling towards the food?

I booked with Priceline and not sure if the discount I received meant I would be getting discount ammenities...I stayed a week and I was only given 1 bar of soap...and 1 shampoo during this time...I thought it was strange....Fortunately, I pack my own shampoo so I didn't need to go to the front desk for any additional ammenities...but I thought this place is really frugal (like me) ..or is it losing money so they had to cut back on everything....strange nonetheless..

In conclusion.....if you want a hotel that is a no frills bargain...close to everything in the Twin Cities....and you plan on using it only for sleeping....it is not bad....if you think this is going to be the Sandals Resort.....you will be sadly disappointed..

It seemed that a lot of the clients were thrifty, (overheard conversations and actually conversations I had)....probably using Priceline, Hotwire...etc...and it looks like they contract to airline employees...Delta airline attendants/pilots were in large numbers....and a lot of seminars....and weddings do take place here....Again...I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway...but....if you need to crash and you get it at a discount price...It is certainly better than a roadside hotel....Extended Stay...or Motel 6. And you stay with a lot better guests...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business